What can destroy the Cyclops?

JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members
So, I've finally got my Cyclops kitted out in my new game. It's effectively a mobile base that allows me to do most things that don't require the special rooms or items that can only be built in a base. With 51 Wall Lockers added, I can move across 4546B gathering mats and even setting up temporary or permanent bases. Currently about to set out for the South Island to explore and get land plants, then after that, I'll be exploring the Aurora.

I've gotten this far before and was cautious in where I went, not being sure of what threats could damage or destroy the Cyclops. I've got a fair amount of effort sunk into it. I still have Lifepod 5 and the storage base under it, as well as my Centre Base where I will build up as needed. So even if I lost it but survived myself, I could work my way back.

But I'd like to avoid that, so I'm looking for information on threats. I've heard Reaper Leviathans apparently can't damage it, but can drag it below crash depth. But things may be different in the latest version.

How has your Cyclops been damaged or lost in your games?

Comments

• pie1055pie1055 Join Date: 2016-12-05 Member: 224603Members
    edited March 2017
    I always lose my Cyclops when I start a new save. Never fails.

Other than the Cyclops somehow getting below crush depth I don't really know how you could damage it. Whenever you're far away you also get a handy beacon over its position so its pretty hard to lose. I think there was one time my Cyclops sprung leaks and began taking on water but that was a few years ago when I was first playing the game so I don't remember how it happened. Probably hit it with my knife due to not knowing the controls.

That is unless they've finished the Cyclops overhaul, in which case my experiences are worthless as I haven't played in a while.
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    At the moment, the Cyclops is pretty safe, but once the Dev's add the Cyclops Damage update in the next month or so, any of the larger creatures will be a hazard to it.
    B)
  • RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    Right now the only thing that can hurt your cyclops is depth pressure. That will be changing before long it seems.
    If you have a prawn or seamoth in the cyclops reapers will attack you and knock you around a little bit trying to get to the smaller vehicle, but won't damage the cyclops, provided they dont knock you below the crush depth.
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    The present Cyclops is pretty undestructable as stated above and will only risk to sink when below crush depth or be in danger of getting eaten by game bugs. It's invulnerable to any creature so far.

But this will soon change and was always planned. The time is ready for the next Cyclops version who will take damage from lots of creatures and be able to sink or explode. The change is already underway and will probably come with the next update early April. It will include:
    • Different engine modes (silent running, normal and flank speed) for different strategic movements.
    • A motion scanner to detect creatures increasing intensity based on mass and distance of the incoming creatures.
    • Energy shield to deflect or reduce incoming creature damage. Shields will probably quickly drain energy.
    • Emergency situations like damage causing breaches, internal fire and flooding with the end result of engine explosion or sinking.
    • For the first time vulnerability to creature attacks in general with leviathans being the strongest ones.
    • When the Cyclops breaks apart it will result in a wrecked model probably beyond any repair.

In the end the Cyclops will need more tech to be a safe vehicle and needs more energy. But that should be no problem with the new ion power cells. So a non upgraded Cyclops will not be much safe, while a fully upgraded Cyclops should let you get passed the dangerous Sea Dragon.
  • StarboltStarbolt Australia Join Date: 2017-03-19 Member: 229045Members
    zetachron wrote: »
    It's invulnerable to any creature so far.

I was getting bumped around by an Emperor Leviathan multiple times while exploring the lava zone recently, not a scratch :smile:
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    edited March 2017
    @zetachron Please tell me they plan to add sonar pings... I don't care if it actually works to track enemies, I just want to hear it in the sub...

Moving deep underwater, with the lights turned off and the sound of the motor, it's just not the same... I long to feel more like "The Hunt for Red October" :blush:
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
  • JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members
    Starbolt wrote: »
    I was getting bumped around by an Emperor Leviathan multiple times while exploring the lava zone recently, not a scratch :smile:
    I think the audio for fish hitting the Cyclops was tuned up a lot in a recent update. When I made one this week, was hearing so much banging I was wondering what beastie was doing it. It was from Peepers running into the sub. :)

Tarkannen wrote: »
    @zetachron Please tell me they plan to add sonar pings... I don't care if it actually works to track enemies, I just want to hear it in the sub...

Moving deep underwater, with the lights turned off and the sound of the motor, it's just not the same... I long to feel more like "The Hunt for Red October" :blush:
    Damn, dude, run silent and use passive! Go active and now everyone knows where you are! :)
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    What can destroy the Cyclops?

Apollo

B)
  • fatihsofatihso Turkey Join Date: 2017-03-24 Member: 229164Members
    Sea Dragon played with my Cyclops like a ball and nothing happened after numerous hits and fireballs. Pretty weird if you ask me =)
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    fatihso wrote: »
    Sea Dragon played with my Cyclops like a ball and nothing happened after numerous hits and fireballs. Pretty weird if you ask me =)

That will change soon.

Also, if you're not actively piloting the sub when the Sea Dragon hits it, you get thrown around the inside and take fall damage.
  • ResolutionBlazeResolutionBlaze The Dunes Join Date: 2016-04-06 Member: 215392Members
    Currently nothing but your own incompetence can damage the Cyclops. Thankfully they are changing that so you don't have an invulnerable mobile base. You actually have to play a bit smart.

Bigger thing = Bigger target. Reapers are no doubt territorial and would see that big thing as a threat or challenge rather than an equal. Sea Dragon is triple its size so it probably eats those sized creatures as a hearty meal.

Furthermore, I'd make it so medium sized predators can do more damage to the Sea Moth. Right now they kinda just bump into it and deal maybe 2% damage.
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    edited March 2017

Furthermore, I'd make it so medium sized predators can do more damage to the Sea Moth. Right now they kinda just bump into it and deal maybe 2% damage.

Actually, I think UWE preemptively granted your wish.

I recently went to the Underwater Islands to get some diamonds, and found that the masses of Bonesharks very quickly whittled my Seamoth's health from 100% to 30%. In 10% damage intervals.

Now, I don't think I had the chassis hardener, (I can't for the life of me remember what it's actually called) which reduces damage from creatures, so the answers could vary. I'll have to check that out today.
  • prototype464prototype464 North Carolina, United States Join Date: 2017-03-16 Member: 228993Members
    The cyclops should have a lot more upgrades imo like a defense turret, shields, repair fabricators and etc. It should also get two upgrade panels, so it can fit up to 8 upgrades.