Are sounds too loud?

2»

Comments

• VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    I was always of the impression that even visual occlusion in this game barely works. Looking around with r_wireframe enabled you realise your camera pitch/rotation changes what gets occluded and what doesn't. That does not seem like it should be a thing. Eclipse is a particularly bad offender for this, you can see most of the map from various points for absolutely no conceivable reason other than occlusion being super freaky. Unless this is just some weird effect having something to do with the r_wireframe functionality itself of course, in which case I take it back.

I think occlusion mostly works on props and other "details", and less so on geometry. I have no idea, though.

IIRC it works based on the occlusion geometry in the level.

Yeah, but I meant that props behind occlusion geometry don't get rendered pretty consistently, while geometry sometimes/often(?) does. I think. I'm probably misremembering.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Tbh I'm fine the way it is because I have bad hearing. Footsteps are extremely obvious in this game
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2017
    FMOD support and seems to be software based? Not sure how I feel about that, I want dedicated hardware acceleration man :tongue: But yeah, that is in itself more niche, requiring hardware support and the drivers for these fancy pants new OS!

Man I miss Aureal A3D and it's oldschool dedicated and signal isolated Vortex 2 sound card :D
  • .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    edited March 2017
    @BeigeAlert I can only imagine the processing requirements if Phonon was integrated into the engine, but if maps had special brushes (last time i mapped it was in hammer x) for sound occlusion geometry, that would surely be manageable? And the extra work per map is not that bad either. It's not a pressing issue, just entertaining it as a possibility? :D
  • HandschuhHandschuh Join Date: 2005-03-08 Member: 44338Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Community Developer
    @IronHorse , since you're our new QA Manager and we are talking about sounds..

Most ppl use(d) silence as skulks because biting rts is so loud that it makes your ears ringing ..
    Can you so something about that issue.. give silent rt biting back or lower the rt biting sound... i dont care.. but like that rt biting is still a pain
  • .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    Handschuh wrote: »
    @IronHorse , since you're our new QA Manager and we are talking about sounds..

Most ppl use(d) silence as skulks because biting rts is so loud that it makes your ears ringing ..
    Can you so something about that issue.. give silent rt biting back or lower the rt biting sound... i dont care.. but like that rt biting is still a pain

I think decreasing the volume only for the attacking skulk should be sufficient... It's useful info for the marines to hear how many skulks are munching on the extractor
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts

I use silence because it means I can approach marines at full speed without them knowing I'm coming. That's SUPER valuable. Against a good group of marines, if they see you before you see them, you're as good as dead.
  • HandschuhHandschuh Join Date: 2005-03-08 Member: 44338Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Community Developer
    BeigeAlert wrote: »

I use silence because it means I can approach marines at full speed without them knowing I'm coming. That's SUPER valuable. Against a good group of marines, if they see you before you see them, you're as good as dead.

I use that as well, but biting rts with a bit of peace would be nice...heard this complaint of several ppl... so I hope you could adress it... even if the effect is small and only with silence
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    I disagree with your first sentence there, and I think Beige summed up why in his follow up already.

But, to answer your question in general, I agree that the biting is a tad loud and blocks the sound of approaching footsteps.. but the balance ramifications of changing this should be seriously considered.
    I'm all for lowering the volume for the skulk player, but it should be the current loud volume for marines. If that's technically possible, then it could happen, but I'm not even sure if it is. (FMOD, yay)
    Again though, this should be deeply discussed and thoroughly tested beforehand. It has the potential for changing the outcome of all structure biting volume (since its the same sound) and that could be detrimental to a marine trying to locate his target in a room during chaotic moments, or allowing aliens to better position themselves defensively to an approaching marine. Both largely impact one of the core scenarios and mechanics in the game.
    edited March 2017
    @IronHorse there are things to consider, but with silencebitingsound implemented again there is one advantage of biting rts gone and the fact that it's comfortable to your ears.. one thing is the usefulness, but what I'm focussing on that constantly biting rts is a pain to your ears and you removed the only reduction with the silencechange in the game...
    Since I've heard this issue from independent from several ppl...
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    I hear you on that one. (pun intended)
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    @IronHorse there are things to consider, but with silencebitingsound implemented again there is one advantage of biting rts gone and the fact that it's comfortable to your ears.. one thing is the usefulness, but what I'm focussing on that constantly biting rts is a pain to your ears and you removed the only reduction with the silencechange in the game...

This is part of the game though, biting an RT makes it more difficult to hear a marine coming, which adds a risk/reward factor to it. If the sound of it is actually painful for you then I think your volume is too high.
  • ArchieArchie Antarctica Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58028Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited March 2017
    Zek wrote: »

This is part of the game though, biting an RT makes it more difficult to hear a marine coming, which adds a risk/reward factor to it. If the sound of it is actually painful for you then I think your volume is too high.

As i said 3d sounds need to be boosted, 2d sounds decreased

bilebomb_hit is far too loud and depending on bite_structure(skulk) it can be extremely loud depending on what type of room you are in, that coupled with jetpack or marines running channel overflow can happen and there's a sound software glitch which doesn't play certain sounds, i can't tell if it's the game logic lagging or the sound threads, just happens.