In-Depth Lava Larvae

CAPSHAWCAPSHAW Nevada Join Date: 2016-09-29 Member: 222692Members
Okay, so the Lava Larva has adapted to suck energy (somehow) from...things, I guess. Can we play around with this idea? I feel like it could go a long way. Here are just a few thoughts I was having:

1.) They can suck energy out of your vehicles, but can they suck energy out of your base at all?

2.) Can we feed them power cells and make something happen, please?

3.) The only way I could see this adaptation working is if they have been using the Precursor base as a power source forever. So why don't they bunch up around the thermal plant 'cables'? It would be even cooler if there was some way to lure them onto those cables, and disable the Precursor gun by taking out its power supply, as a type of alternate ending where you escape and spread the disease to everyone.

4.) If Warpers have a power supply, then can they go after them?

Please tell me if this sounds interesting, or share any ideas you have!

Comments

• DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    1.) Seems an eventual must to me, just like crabsquids should aggro bases for their light too. But until UWE can afford a big base functionality update so we also can build a means of defense/deterrent, I'm fine with the situation as is.

2.) Like something similar to feeding stalkers peepers? Sounds good to me.

3 & 4.) Lava larvaes' description reads: "Attracted to energy sources of all kinds; Draws thermal energy from its prey to survive". Either way, you'd need a lot of lava larvae before the PTPG output would be overcome and I'd imagine the warpers would do something about it.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    CAPSHAW wrote: »

No need to spoil the greedy little chubs, I'm sure a battery would suffice quite nicely!
  • CAPSHAWCAPSHAW Nevada Join Date: 2016-09-29 Member: 222692Members
  • StarboltStarbolt Australia Join Date: 2017-03-19 Member: 229045Members
    I had hoped that being creatures adapted to such hot conditions, when you moved back up into the colder areas above the lava zone they would fall off your ship.
  • CAPSHAWCAPSHAW Nevada Join Date: 2016-09-29 Member: 222692Members
    edited March 2017
    That does make sense. Or would it make them more drawn to the temperature differential?
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    Starbolt wrote: »
    I had hoped that being creatures adapted to such hot conditions, when you moved back up into the colder areas above the lava zone they would fall off your ship.

I'd like it if they'd do that. Right now, I take out my power cells to get rid of them when I go back up, which seems a tad roundabout.
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    Sounds like a great set of ideas, @CAPSHAW! :smiley:
    1.) They can suck energy out of your vehicles, but can they suck energy out of your base at all?
    I'm with @DrownedOut on this one: until the devs give us a means to keep the little blighters off the base, let's not. But for the sake of continuity and sanity, yes, they should. Also deployed floodlights and/or LED sticks. (Which might be a way to decoy them?)
    Feed 'em a battery and they don't go after your sub for a while. Feed 'em a power cell...and they explode. ;) (No, I don't like lava larvae.)
    3.) The only way I could see this adaptation working is if they have been using the Precursor base as a power source forever. So why don't they bunch up around the thermal plant 'cables'? It would be even cooler if there was some way to lure them onto those cables, and disable the Precursor gun by taking out its power supply, as a type of alternate ending where you escape and spread the disease to everyone.
    I always thought they were thermosynthetic, deriving their energy from a temperature differential (kind of like a a biological OTEC plant), and the power from your sub was just an "easier" means of deriving energy than their natural route. They don't attack precursor structures because their form of power is "unpalatable" to them for some reason. But you're right in that there's a LOT of unexplored territory in terms of their behavior and possible applications.
    4.) If Warpers have a power supply, then can they go after them?
    Should, yes. Granted, as was said earlier, Warpers could probably deal with them, but it could be a useful way to distract those warp-orb throwing jerks. :)