Creation by hands

omegatauromegataur Spain Join Date: 2016-01-28 Member: 212240Members
So... i'm okay with all this technology... that reading says because a war we cant have ANY type of weapon excluding survival knife but... how they KNOW we have weapons?

So, Why we cant craft anything with our hands? Something like a ... spear... that is very simple to do... a stick attached with vines and a knife... that can be useful as an arrow too...

well... thats all, i was wondering about crafting survival things with hands

What community thinks about this? is an issue? or maybe our character doesnt know how to make fire with 2 sticks?

Comments

• kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    Not war, massacre. Likely some alterra employees went on a murderous rampage, and that gave the company bad PR. Also, the devs have decided to not add more weapons into the game. sorry.
  • omegatauromegataur Spain Join Date: 2016-01-28 Member: 212240Members
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited March 2017
    Technically, everything you pick up from the assorted biomes, is done with your hands.

Even using the PRAWN arms, is done with your hands.

And the Fabricator needs to be turned on and the resources added to work... are done with your hands.

B)
    yes, technically is correct, but... i was talking about primitive craftings or either
  • SnailsAttackSnailsAttack Join Date: 2017-02-09 Member: 227749Members
    omegataur wrote: »
    What community thinks about this? is an issue? or maybe our character doesnt know how to make fire with 2 sticks?

To be fair... do YOU know how to make a fire or tie a rock to the end of a stick?
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    edited March 2017

To be fair... do YOU know how to make a fire or tie a rock to the end of a stick?

Well...yeah. But I know I'm an oddball. ;)

That said, though, when given a technological solution to a problem, most people are hesitant - if not actively resistant - to go low-tech. If you can magic a knife out of thin air (or just about), the majority can't think non-linearly enough to convert it into a spear. Call it a failure of imagination.

But, more than that, it would end up breaking the no weapons/minimal lethality ethos of the game's design, and that's probably the big reason we haven't seen it, nor are we likely to.

yes, sir
  • Mr_EndarMr_Endar Join Date: 2016-03-05 Member: 213859Members
    Its relatively easy to make Thompson machine-gun or Schmeisser at home: all you need are basic machine-tools. It is easy to imagine though that there won't be machine-tool schematics in fabricator (because fabricator tech removes need for small machine-tools in the first place).
    I think.
    However it should be easy to connect knife with a pipe with I dunno rope or duct tape. Such spear would not be great though, but good enough still.

I think that devs should add a speargun/harpoon rifle at least. These are fishing tools, not weapons.

• 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Mr_Endar wrote: »
    Its relatively easy to make Thompson machine-gun or Schmeisser at home: all you need are basic machine-tools. It is easy to imagine though that there won't be machine-tool schematics in fabricator (because fabricator tech removes need for small machine-tools in the first place).
    I think.
    However it should be easy to connect knife with a pipe with I dunno rope or duct tape. Such spear would not be great though, but good enough still.

I think that devs should add a speargun/harpoon rifle at least. These are fishing tools, not weapons.

Well... so's s rifle, using the same logic. Excellent hunting tool. Also weapon. Most hunting tools are (knife, spear, bow & arrow, crossbow, rifle) good weapons as well.
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    I'm pretty sure the Diver has no idea what a spear is.
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    edited March 2017
    I've had a little theory about this running around my head for months now.

The PDA mentions that weapons were removed from the basic blueprints because of the massacre on Obraxis Prime. This is common knowledge now.

But, who's to say that our character wasn't in that massacre?

And seeing something like your fellow co-workers and passengers getting murdered would give anyone some sort of PTSD.

So, our character could very likely know how to make a spear/harpoon/whatever he wants, but he chooses not to, due to him being mentally constricted.

TL;DR: How would you feel about weapons after seeing people killed by them?
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    Most hunting tools are good weapons as well.

Stands to reason; has anyone ever manged to convince a boar or even a deer to just surrender? ;)
  • NerdyEricNerdyEric Join Date: 2016-11-15 Member: 223876Members
    I mean realistically, if someone gave you some sticks, a stone, and some vines would you be able to make stuff like a bow, spear, and other such things? Imagine it in the future where EVERYTHING is controlled by tech. Likely wouldn't know how to do that either. And its not like planet 4546B has fantastic internet connection for streaming youtube. Or whatever they'll have in the future.
  • CaptainFearlessCaptainFearless CO, US Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224941Members
    Think about how far they are in the future. They probably have long forgotten the primitive ways and moved on to there not being a need for any of it.
  • TheStellarEngineerTheStellarEngineer United States Join Date: 2017-03-19 Member: 229041Members
    So... i'm okay with all this technology... that reading says because a war we cant have ANY type of weapon excluding survival knife but... how they KNOW we have weapons?

So, Why we cant craft anything with our hands? Something like a ... spear... that is very simple to do... a stick attached with vines and a knife... that can be useful as an arrow too...

well... thats all, i was wondering about crafting survival things with hands

THE PDA WATCHES EVERYTHING.... IT WILL KNOW WHAT YOU HAVE DONE. Just see for yourself how much info it has about you...
    NerdyEric wrote: »
    I mean realistically, if someone gave you some sticks, a stone, and some vines would you be able to make stuff like a bow, spear, and other such things? Imagine it in the future where EVERYTHING is controlled by tech. Likely wouldn't know how to do that either. And its not like planet 4546B has fantastic internet connection for streaming youtube. Or whatever they'll have in the future.

well... i think when you are starving, you think a lot... and you have a stick, a stone, and some vine rope... Hunger is the mother of ingenuity, u know
    edited March 2017
    NerdyEric wrote: »
    You have a knife and a pipe. One doesn't need to be a genius to attach one to another.

Today, everybody who is assigned to work in any remote area have to pass at least basic survival training. I doubt this procedure will change in the future because these rules haven't appeared out of nowhere: they were paid for by human lives.

PS. When me and my friends were kids, we were making crossbows. Just for fun. We had no internet back then nor we had any manual how to make one. We made them because making bows no longer entertained us.
    I doubt that a grown-up engineer will find tinkering harder than a bunch of elementary school kids.
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    Skope wrote: »

The PDA mentions that weapons were removed from the basic blueprints because of the massacre on Obraxis Prime. This is common knowledge now.

And seeing something like your fellow co-workers and passengers getting murdered would give anyone some sort of PTSD.

So, our character could very likely know how to make a spear/harpoon/whatever he wants, but he chooses not to, due to him being mentally constricted.

No, the alterra crew was not massacred - they EXECUTED the massacre. That's why the weapons were removed - they didn't want it to ever happen again, or people go around killing everything.

My conclusion:

Devs = Alterra CEOs

B) I think I'm done here.
    edited March 2017
    I've found an example what crafty man can make from out of the shelf equipement: Spring cross-bow:

This is not mine video of course.

However, one of my final designs was a spring-powered crossbow though it was MUCH more crude. However, I used a spinning reel (not sure it is the correct word - I'm sorry my English is not perfect - the rotating thing with handle) to arm the crossbow because the springs I used were too strong for my arms.
  • ShuttleBugShuttleBug USA Join Date: 2017-03-15 Member: 228943Members
    kingkuma wrote: »
    Skope wrote: »

No, the alterra crew was not massacred - they EXECUTED the massacre. That's why the weapons were removed - they didn't want it to ever happen again, or people go around killing everything.

My conclusion:

Devs = Alterra CEOs

B) I think I'm done here.

...Mind...Blown...