Respawn Resources.

TaiphozTaiphoz UK Join Date: 2016-01-01 Member: 210749Members
Real simple idea , limestone grows like a crystal, when you harvest it you don't destroy the root you simple smash a big enough chunk off to expose what was inside, the root then rng picks a new core and over time regrows and builds new layers of limestone until its big enough to harvest again, this simple mechanic could be applied to everything that we harvest from table corral to lithium.

With a system like this the scanner room will actually be able to scan for all the resources because their in world hidden in the resources as the rng has already been done..

From the players perspective nothing would change, at least not until they got a scanner room, which is kinda mid to late game anyway so should be able to see Silver for example.

Comments

• DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    Respawning resources has my vote. Give it a high timer and it won't make the game easier either.
  • DracobombaDracobomba Join Date: 2016-04-08 Member: 215502Members
    Meh, I think there's plenty of resources around as it is. If you're running low on a specific resource, it's because you've completely scrubbed the area clean. Making resources not respawn encourages the player to go explore outward and go to more dangerous or remote areas to collect. Plus, it encourages building forward bases, or working towards a cyclops.

Personally, I kinda make the cyclops my home base to begin with, as soon as I can get one.
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    My opinion is that what should encourage players to explore is, like, noticing you need diamond for the laser cutter and realizing there's no diamond to be found in the Safe Shallows. Or the Kelp Forest. Or the Grassy Plateaus. So you keep on trucking until you've got it, no matter where you end up at, and in the meantime you find new stuff and get new goal materials like where on 4546B did they hide the kyanite?

I also think that if the respawn rate is low enough, it doesn't change one bit about the current gameplay. Say, 100 days. Who's going to sit around a 100 days to afford that window in the new east wing instead of going out to find quartz elsewhere? (And even if they do, eh, their choice.) Meanwhile, for those of us who dislike how non-respawning resources limits multi-basebuilding and promotes destruction of the environment when that very environment is part of what makes basebuilding fun, we get something of a solution.
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    Personally, I'd be okay with some resources respawning, and only under specific conditions. In general, though, respawning resources just hits me the wrong way. New junk items appearing Fallout 4 is a prime example (people are restocking the ruins?!), and I'd hate to see that happen here as well.

Things like the sandstone and other nodules, those should not come back. Nodules like those take tens of thousands to millions of years to develop and even then only conditions that permit it. That they should "grow back" in a week or a month is unreasonable.

However, this can be gotten around. If we had weather events, it's entirely reasonable that wave action would "unearth" new deposits of quartz and the like - things which can be plucked off the bottom, not nodules that are broken open. That would solve the problem of, say, quartz depletion without appearing like resources are just magically being refilled.
  • EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    edited March 2017
    Personally, I'd be okay with some resources respawning, and only under specific conditions. In general, though, respawning resources just hits me the wrong way. New junk items appearing Fallout 4 is a prime example (people are restocking the ruins?!), and I'd hate to see that happen here as well.

Things like the sandstone and other nodules, those should not come back. Nodules like those take tens of thousands to millions of years to develop and even then only conditions that permit it. That they should "grow back" in a week or a month is unreasonable.

However, this can be gotten around. If we had weather events, it's entirely reasonable that wave action would "unearth" new deposits of quartz and the like - things which can be plucked off the bottom, not nodules that are broken open. That would solve the problem of, say, quartz depletion without appearing like resources are just magically being refilled.

Realism vs gameplay at work. If the FO4 areas didn't restock/reset themselves, there would be (at least) 2 issues. 1: The game would have to save EVERY SINGLE THING you pick up, indefinitely. It could never forget an area and re-generate it. This would balloon save files over time, even worse than currently. 2: It would eventually result in a lack of resources. Once every area was picked clean and stocks were depleted, the game would slowly run out of things not generated by enemies.

And at that, why is there an infinite supply of enemies? You'd think that with enough murder, you could eventually destroy factions. And once every opposing faction was wiped out, the game would go outright boring. Who is MAKING all of that gunpowder? I can but power cells as craftable and charge-able. And the game doesn't even bother to make you fuel generators, because that would be outright busywork.

These aren't issues that would occur for a long time, but they would eventually impact the more enthusiastic fans of the game, the ones who are still there years after release, still helping to drive word of mouth for new sales.

As far as Subnautica, could the game track available resources? Once an area is picked clean, there's eventually an earthquake, and a few new nodes corresponding to the area poke through the seafloor? That's believable enough, I would think. Say that alien tech to pull resources gently out of the planetary crust is still working as intended, though the automated harvesting has failed.
  • TheBaronHimselfTheBaronHimself Join Date: 2017-03-04 Member: 228580Members
    Wait a second... So resources currently don't respawn? I haven't been playing for too long and may not have noticed. I always assumed they would. It seems unnecessarily frustrating if they were depletable.