Subnautica on Linux (via Wine)

2»

Comments

• Sigil_ThaneSigil_Thane Oklahoma, USA Join Date: 2016-01-03 Member: 210855Members
    OK, I'm considering making a post on both the Bug Reporting and the Ideas and Suggestions forums regarding Subnautica and Linux/Wine.

Do you think this is ... overstepping a bit? :D
  • SporkWitchSporkWitch Rochester, NY, USA Join Date: 2016-01-11 Member: 211254Members
    OK, I'm considering making a post on both the Bug Reporting and the Ideas and Suggestions forums regarding Subnautica and Linux/Wine.

Do you think this is ... overstepping a bit? :D

It's not officially supported, so yes. They may or may not look into linux later, and if their past games are any indication, "later" means "after 1.0." They have released other games, such as Natural Selection 2, for Linux.
  • Sigil_ThaneSigil_Thane Oklahoma, USA Join Date: 2016-01-03 Member: 210855Members
    Just in case any of you have stopped being active in the forums but are still subscribed to this post I've posted a poll:

WHAT IS YOUR MAIN OPERATING SYSTEM THAT YOU WANT TO RUN SUBNAUTICA ON?
    Sigh, I can't even load up to the game intro screen any more. I guess they patched up to the Unity 5.3 revision then.
    (See known issue: https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/issues/dx9-unity-crashed-in-gfxdeviced3d9-drawbuffers-due-to-handled3ddevicelost-when-locking-windows )

I wonder if Unity 5.3 supports OpenGL by default. (RE: http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/1071735/-force-opengl52-cant-load-shaders.html )
    Nope. it crashes before it gets to the resolution selector.
    • crashes with -force-d3d9
    • crashes with -force-opengl
    • crashes with -force-glcore
    • crashes with -force-d3d9 -force-opengl
    • crashes with none of the above
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    @Sigil_Thane Based on the link you referenced, it appears that Unity 5.3 does support OpenGL, but must be enabled manually by the developer. I presume UWE hasn't done this.
    That link refers to Unity 5.2, however it appears that 5.3 also has this issue.
    edited March 2016
    Unity 5.3.4 version:
    • -force-d3d9 only ......Greyed out in game, Fire effects did not render.
    • -force-opengl only ......PENDING
    • -force-d3d9 -force-glcore ......All purple screen
    • -force-d3d9 -force-opengl ......All purple screen
    • none of the above ......PENDING
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    I suspect Unity 5.3.* is where Subnautica is going to stay at until launch. Unity 5.4 isn't slated to be released for until well into the last stages of Subnautica development, and I doubt UWE wants to re-evaluate everything in the 11th hour.
    They did just upgrade to 5.3.4 on the 19th of March
    ( http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/comment/2275839/#Comment_2275839 )

My mistake... corrected above. The point there is that now I can actually get to a (degraded) game whereas previously it wouldn't even load. That's progress, right?
    Racer1 wrote: »
    I suspect Unity 5.3.* is where Subnautica is going to stay at until launch. Unity 5.4 isn't slated to be released for until well into the last stages of Subnautica development, and I doubt UWE wants to re-evaluate everything in the 11th hour.

Found in Trello: Convert biome maps to 3D textures in list To Do
    wherein Max McGuire (maxmcguire) says "Need Unity 5.4"

So maybe sooner rather than later?
  • TyderfTyderf Join Date: 2015-12-31 Member: 210696Members
    How did you install subnautica on linux? Steam won't let me install it
    edited June 2016
    You will need to install the windows version of Steam under wine, and then you'll be able to install Subnautica through it.

That said, even running -force-d3d9 I'm still having the grey-washed out screen that was shown in the OP.

64282elapihr.jpeg
  • CoranthCoranth Join Date: 2015-06-02 Member: 205160Members
    edited June 2016
    Either WINE needs fixing, or Unity does. I'd switch to Linux but... it seems that OS is always playing 'catch up' with everyone else, which really sucks. Or better yet, get the big AAA companies to get off their asses and support Linux for Games.
    edited June 2016
    @Coranth Unity runs native under Linux, and Wine still lacks DX10+ capabilities, so Native via OpenGL/Vulkan is my preference.
    FOR RUNNING UNITY GAMES

Generally content developed with Unity can run pretty much everywhere. How well it runs is dependent on the complexity of your project. More detailed requirements:

Desktop:
    OS: Windows XP SP2+, Mac OS X 10.8+, Ubuntu 12.04+, SteamOS+
    Graphics card: DX9 (shader model 2.0) capabilities; generally everything made since 2004 should work.
    CPU: SSE2 instruction set support.

Web Player (deprecated): Requires a browser that supports plugins, like IE, Safari and some versions of Firefox
    iOS: requires iOS 6.0 or later.
    Android: OS 2.3.1 or later; ARMv7 (Cortex) CPU with NEON support or Atom CPU; OpenGL ES 2.0 or later.
    WebGL: Any recent desktop version of Firefox, Chrome, Edge or Safari
    Windows Phone: 8.1 or later
    Windows Store Apps: 8.1 or later

I would ask anyone interested in Linux based Subnautica to weigh in on a separate topic of mine here: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/comment/2276030#Comment_2276030
  • WylieKWylieK Dallas, TX, USA Join Date: 2015-09-13 Member: 207927Members
    Since the migration of Subnautica to unity 5 ... ie the water update,
    Subnautica no longer runs in Ubuntu [Linux] under Wine 1.9.22
  • Jones108Jones108 Join Date: 2012-12-10 Member: 174670Members
    edited November 2016
    Def looking forward to Vulkan or DX11 in Wine.
  • walle303walle303 The Internet Join Date: 2017-02-07 Member: 227690Members
    edited February 2017
    Subnautica runs well under Wine when using the gallium-nine patchs with -force-d3d9
    Gallium Nine Patch
    Here's an in-game screenshot:
    AkbDf5d.jpg

If you'd like to make it more obvious to the developers that you're running wine, set this registry key
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\AppDefaults\Subnautica.exe]
    "Version"="win20"

This will cause wine to report the running version of windows as Windows 2.0, making it extremely obvious in the data collection or in bug reports.
    This doesn't appear to cause any issues under the 64 bit version of wine [Tested on Wine-Staging 2.1 with gallium patches]

If you're using Arch Linux or a derivative like Manjaro, you can use wine-gaming-nine in the AUR
    Using gallium nine requires Mesa (The open source graphics drivers)
  • raymerjacqueraymerjacque Join Date: 2017-01-15 Member: 226791Members
    edited February 2017
    https://xellink.com/2014/11/20/tutorial-on-wine-gallium-9-possibly-doubling-your-framerate/

its an old post, but the instructions mostly still apply, just replace the ppa's in the post with the newer updated ones below ( Wine 2.0 ) :

https://launchpad.net/~oibaf/+archive/ubuntu/graphics-drivers

https://launchpad.net/~commendsarnex/+archive/ubuntu/winedri3

if you want to play Subnautica on Linux, this is the way to do it...

walle303 wrote: »
    Subnautica runs well under Wine when using the gallium-nine patchs with -force-d3d9
    Gallium Nine Patch
    AkbDf5d.jpg

If you'd like to make it more obvious to the developers that you're running wine, set this registry key
    "Version"="win20"

This will cause wine to report the running version of windows as Windows 2.0, making it extremely obvious in the data collection or in bug reports.
    This doesn't appear to cause any issues under the 64 bit version of wine [Tested on Wine-Staging 2.1 with gallium patches]

If you're using Arch Linux or a derivative like Manjaro, you can use wine-gaming-nine in the AUR

So... let me get this straight. in order to run the Gallium Nine patched wine you need to be running Nouveau graphics drivers and wine2.0?

Is there no way to use the Wine-staging and the latest proprietary drivers?
  • raymerjacqueraymerjacque Join Date: 2017-01-15 Member: 226791Members
    Gallium Nine Patch
    AkbDf5d.jpg

"Version"="win20"

So... let me get this straight. in order to run the Gallium Nine patched wine you need to be running Nouveau graphics drivers and wine2.0?

My guess would be due to the fact that the propriety drivers are not open sourced, they cant be tweaked the same way the open source drivers can, and therefore arent recommended.
    edited March 2017
    Gallium Nine Patch
    AkbDf5d.jpg

"Version"="win20"

Gallium Nine Patch
    AkbDf5d.jpg

"Version"="win20"

My guess would be due to the fact that the propriety drivers are not open sourced, they cant be tweaked the same way the open source drivers can, and therefore arent recommended.

It's because the proprietary drivers are not written on top of Gallium3D, Gallium3D is a subsystem/architecture for creating 3D graphics drivers
    In order to make full use of Gallium, you need Mesa 12.1 or above [Mesa is the graphics library built in tandem with Gallium3D]
    The current Mesa release [As of this post] is 17.0.1
    Unless you're running something that absolutely requires a feature in the proprietary driver, there is almost no reason not to use nouveau/radeonsi/amdgpu[non pro]
    While native, non-indie linux games may have reduced performance on the open source driver, games in Wine that use DX9 will run far faster on the open source drivers when you have Gallium Nine enabled
    A new breakthrough has occurred, you can now run Subnautuica under DX11 using this patch to wine-staging
    There are a few graphical bugs, but those should be worked out fairly soon as well.

QmNhgoqfX32aPVZRvAWanLYpusZMwMHGHyLg7cCVYDbz2V

Also, you can run it under DX9 mode in Wine-Staging 2.3 without Gallium Nine, so you might be able to use the proprietary driver, but if your card is over two years old or EOL, use the open source driver. You should also use the open source driver if you've got an AMD card [AMDGPU non pro for newer cards, radeonsi/r600 for older/legacy cards]

This patch is likely going to be merged with wine-staging in the upcoming versions.
  • wowwinkwowwink Merica Join Date: 2016-12-05 Member: 224596Members
    [code]

That all I see
    A new breakthrough has occurred, you can now run Subnautuica under DX11 using this patch to wine-staging
    There are a few graphical bugs, but those should be worked out fairly soon as well.

So... how does one apply this patch? :D
    edited March 2017

So... how does one apply this patch? :D

It requires compiling wine-staging https://github.com/wine-compholio/wine-patched with the patch

Make sure you have the proper development tools installed on your system

Run the following command for your distro/package manager as root:
    Debian/Ubuntu/Mint/apt:
    apt-get install build-essential

Arch/Manjaro/pacman:
    pacman -S base-devel

CentOS/Fedora/yum:
    yum groupinstall "Development Tools"

Compiling wine:
    git clone https://github.com/wine-compholio/wine-patched.git
    cd wine-patched
    curl https://ipfs.io/ipfs/QmeVHyhGJ5VXMaAu1B1hNmZgkU3suDhyQ8CzB1RrmYiRDB | patch dlls/wined3d/device.c
    ./configure
    make CFLAGS="-mtune=native -march=native -O3 -pipe" -j$((`grep -c ^processor /proc/cpuinfo`*2+1))

Or simply:
    curl https://ipfs.io/ipfs/QmZjzoS65yMpUFv48HED5evxd3fcWnfFqvRDPS2wGyPTvH | bash

If anyone using Arch Linux or a derivative [Like Manjaro] needs it, I can make a PKGBUILD.

edit: Expect the compile to take quite some time, wine is extremely complex software that will take a considerable amount of time to compile even on really good hardware
    edit2: Estimated time for 4 core overclocked 4.5ghz skylake processor: 11m14s
  • knixknix Join Date: 2017-04-01 Member: 229360Members
    @walle303 This is great news! However, compiling wine from scratch doesn't sound like something I want to be doing. In general, do you know how long it takes these patches posted in WineStaging to make it into the offical winehq-devel or winehq-staging builds? When should we expect this patch to make it in?

Thanks.

• AzgradooAzgradoo Join Date: 2017-07-31 Member: 232150Members

Hi ! This patch seem not to have been merged: every source I can find seems to still have the returns. Do you have more context about it ? A bug report, pull request, or something. I'm a bit worried that it is just an "ignore an error" rather than a proper fix, and that it might not be an accepted solution.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Azgradoo wrote: »

Hi ! This patch seem not to have been merged: every source I can find seems to still have the returns. Do you have more context about it ? A bug report, pull request, or something. I'm a bit worried that it is just an "ignore an error" rather than a proper fix, and that it might not be an accepted solution.

@walle303