Update 314 Now Live on Steam! - Natural Selection 2

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond
edited March 2017 in NS2 General Discussion

imageUpdate 314 Now Live on Steam! - Natural Selection 2

Since the holidays we’ve seen an influx of both new and old players coming back to NS2. We continue to receive lot of positive feedback to many of the changes...

Read the full story here

Comments

• WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Nice!
    System wrote: »
    Since the holidays we’ve seen an influx of both new and old players coming back to NS2.
    This got me excited at first, but according to the steam charts, the population seems roughly stable: http://steamcharts.com/app/4920#3m

Then again, you probably have better data than me.

Have you considered adding some kind of lobby in the server browser, so people can group up before joining a server?

• WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Vetinari wrote: »
    Nice!
    Since the holidays we’ve seen an influx of both new and old players coming back to NS2.
    This got me excited at first, but according to the steam charts, the population seems roughly stable: http://steamcharts.com/app/4920#3m

Have you considered adding some kind of lobby in the server browser, so people can group up before joining a server?

Look to the horizon and you shall see ;)
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    WasabiOne wrote: »
    Nice!

Look to the horizon and you shall see ;)

I looked at trello instead, and it looked good.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    pSyk0mAn wrote: »
    Good job guys!

I think the most important question is, where do the clogs go that are eaten by the tunnel?

Fatshaming the gorge again are we :D
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    • Fixed that you could load/inject code via the game’s css files without being detected by the default consistency check.

O_O
  • AdambeanAdambean Cardiff, South Wales Join Date: 2005-06-03 Member: 53038Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2017

As someone who has a game on Steam I can definitely say Steam's own charts are different to that of steamcharts.com. The official vs 3rd party graphs aren't wildly different, but the official graphs definitely offer more detail and show higher figures.
    The lobby feature was tried a year or more ago. Nobody used it. :(
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Adambean wrote: »

I don't remember this?
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    • Fixed that you could load/inject code via the game’s css files without being detected by the default consistency check.

I wonder if this means the hackers will be gone for awhile (at least until they update their hacks)

Stupid hard to vote kick hackers when people just assume "its skill".. There's even YouTube vids of obvious aimbot users who have yet to be banned and are never vote kicked.

As far as the "lobby" for people to group up... wouldn't it be easier to just do what's been suggested before and throw in a chat box so those looking at the browser can talk to each other? (or is that what you mean by "lobby"?)

I don't remember this?

Me neither? @Adambean are you sure you are thinking of the right game?
    MoFo1 wrote: »
    As far as the "lobby" for people to group up... wouldn't it be easier to just do what's been suggested before and throw in a chat box so those looking at the browser can talk to each other? (or is that what you mean by "lobby"?)

That is exactly what I mean.
    edited March 2017
    I'm assuming he's talking about the integrated 'gather lobby'.
    IIRC, it was a lobby in which you had to wait for 11 other players, but couldn't do anything other than waiting. I'm not even sure if it connected you to a server when you reached 12 players though. It wasn't what I'd describe as classical lobby. It was supposed to work like http://gathers.ensl.org/, but it didn't make sense, because you couldn't play while waiting.

the lobby that is being talked about from before was a very unfinished implementation, thus the reason we stripped it out. The new Match Seeding system is a different approach and we hope will have better results.
    the lobby that is being talked about from before was a very unfinished implementation, thus the reason we stripped it out. The new Match Seeding system is a different approach and we hope will have better results.

Will it be something along the lines of this?
    4n7av95aa505.png
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Excited to see ranking in the server browser!
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Hey guys, just wanted to point out something that I forgot to mention in the patch notes: since there was a minor tweak to the renderer, that means all the shaders will have to recompile the first time you run the game, so loading times might be very very long. This is normal, and it only happens the first time a shader is loaded. Sorry for the inconvenience.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue

I don't remember this?

39.gif

Nope, me neither...
  • KarpmanKarpman Join Date: 2012-11-19 Member: 172488Members
    I fully believe a good matchmaker is the single biggest improvement this game needs. Browsing servers is a PITA for me, and I don't think I'm an anomaly. Props to you guys improving it!

Yay babbler improvement! Now let me shoot bait long distance. I'll be your best friend.
    BloodyIron wrote: »
    Shit like this is why I continue to come back to NS2. The extended support of this game is stellar!

Thanks a bunch guys! Keep it up! :)

We just need to convince more people to jump back in, I mean, they already own the game... right? Why not ask around and see who would want to try it again? I bet we could kick up some more gamers. Who's with me?

I came back after getting a SSD and more RAM. The RAM has helped overall PC performance, but the SSD has really made NS2 much easier to jump into. If you know someone who has NS but just upgraded to a SSD, tell em to try this game again.

Bicsum wrote: »

Will it be something along the lines of this?
    4n7av95aa505.png

McGlaspie would be better to answer, but I think something along those lines in the future updates to it is a goal indeed.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited March 2017
    "We continue to receive lot of positive feedback to many of the changes we’ve made over the last year."

You are joking, right? At least as far as gameplay changes are concerned, you have received nothing but flak.

Most of the "good" changes are on the programming side of things, but that hardly outweighs the bad here.
  • ZdrytchXZdrytchX Australia Join Date: 2016-02-06 Member: 212662Members
    I like that concept art for the server browser but im not sure if it'll work on my small screen haha.

I use 1280x800 and i heard some people even use smaller esolutions
  • HandschuhHandschuh Join Date: 2005-03-08 Member: 44338Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Community Developer
    edited March 2017
    a lot of positiv feedback
    sounds like that you're not even remotely taking any criticism that you've got here seriously..
    So ridiculously hilarious.. outrageous that you even dare to write that officially
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2017
    FWIW, I just rebuilt my rig and have been playing NS2 again. It's great! It's been a long time.

(I have health bars removed, by the way.)
  • ShelltuxShelltux Germany Join Date: 2014-09-11 Member: 198351Members
    edited March 2017
    Does any one have the same problem as I do?
    After playing for about 15 to 20 minutes the client crashes showing the error message "Natural Selection 2 is not working any more".
    It seems like it does not matter which map I play. I played Veil on my own server ... crash. I also played Biodome on another server ... crash

[edit]
    Generated the zip file using TechSupport.exe and mailed it to tech-support@unknownworlds.com
    [/edit]

[2nd edit]
    After upgrading the GPU drivers to the newest version everything seems to work fine again
    [/2nd edit]
  • HandschuhHandschuh Join Date: 2005-03-08 Member: 44338Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Community Developer
    Is it possible to deactivate the pregamebadges? It's really annoying
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    You get a participation badge now for participating in pre game.
    You get a participation badge now for participating in pre game.

Hahaha WTF is that even :D