Base Capasitor

pedpenguinspedpenguins Join Date: 2017-03-07 Member: 228686Members
Either a wall unit and/or a full room construction. It would be really useful for bases with solar panels or nuclear reactors so you can save all the power that you produce.
Wall unit = 50 energy capacity (same size as a locker)
Room Construction = 500 energy capacity

Comments

• SnailsAttackSnailsAttack Join Date: 2017-02-09 Member: 227749Members
  • pedpenguinspedpenguins Join Date: 2017-03-07 Member: 228686Members
    So... batteries?

well sorta batteries are a chemical reaction as opposed to a capacitor which just stores electricity.
  • Phoenix223Phoenix223 Chicago Join Date: 2016-02-18 Member: 213174Members
    Either a wall unit and/or a full room construction. It would be really useful for bases with solar panels or nuclear reactors so you can save all the power that you produce.

There was something like this in the works called the Accumulator, but I don't know if it was scrapped or not.

This might be a good idea, though. You can increase your Base Power capacity without building more generators which is ideal in places where power sources are at a premium such as underground with a limited number of heat sources in the area.

Let's say: You have seven thermal vents in the Giant Tree Cove. Therefore, you can only build seven Thermal Plants giving you 350 power maximum, provided you don't want to build Bio-Reactors or go Nuclear; both require maintenance. Adding a full-sized Base Capacitor would raise this cap to 850.
    Wall unit = 50 energy capacity (same size as a locker)
    Room Construction = 500 energy capacity

I would think, however, that because one Power Cell holds 200 power for your Cyclops, a Base Capacitor the size of a wall locker would hold three times that. Capacitors would have a greater Power capacity than Generators because they would only have storage cells and none of the mechanical components needed to create electricity from mechanical energy.
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    Someone floated an idea a while back to let power cell chargers double as accumulators - charging the cells when power was in surplus, and feeding power to the base when it was in deficit. I don't think it went anywhere beyond this forum, though.
  • SigmalxSigmalx USA Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220132Members
    could i just briefly mention it if it hasnt been already: capacitor, the word is capacitor. okay thanks
    Sigmalx wrote: »
    could i just briefly mention it if it hasnt been already: capacitor, the word is capacitor. okay thanks

Thanks for pointing out the wrong spelling just incase nobody understood what I was talking about like the 3 people who have all ready replied, Who the fuck knows what they're talking about. /s
    Thanks for being an asshole ,have a nice day.
    Okay thanks ^^
  • SigmalxSigmalx USA Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220132Members
    good grammar is always a good thing to have. enjoy.
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    Phoenix223 wrote: »

There was something like this in the works called the Accumulator, but I don't know if it was scrapped or not.

I want my accumulator! I really liked the way it looked and gladly dedicate space to it. Don't know if it's scrapped either, but I think it's one of those objects/gameplay details that were deemed a waste of resources pre-V1.0 but might have a shot post-V1.0.
  • ThePassionateGamerThePassionateGamer Germany Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218219Members
    @DrownedOut I am with you on this one, because I too would like to see a base accumulator :love: added (before or after release doesn't matter much in that case).
  • Toruk_MaktoToruk_Makto Italy Join Date: 2017-02-15 Member: 227945Members
    I think, at this point, we could directly transform the power cells charger and turn it into a wall power accumulator. Especially since you have stopped using it since you built the moonpool (take the empty power cells of the Cyclops, put them in a draw Seamoth, expect a few seconds and Bam. Charge and ready.)
    For the largest model I would draw a model that occupies an entire wall of the multi-function room. the size of the water filtration machine, for example. This is composed of a large energy cell that we can not remove and that contientiene 2000 energy (since must be more advantageous that fill an entire wall of smaller versions.
    I think, at this point, we could directly transform the power cells charger and turn it into a wall power accumulator. Especially since you have stopped using it since you built the moonpool (take the empty power cells of the Cyclops, put them in a draw Seamoth, expect a few seconds and Bam. Charge and ready.)

I fully expect the devs to tweak the moonpool's recharge speed before V1.0, though. It's a leftover from before the power cell charger and doesn't really make sense anymore.
  • ThePassionateGamerThePassionateGamer Germany Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218219Members
    DrownedOut wrote: »
    I fully expect the devs to tweak the moonpool's recharge speed before V1.0, though. It's a leftover from before the power cell charger and doesn't really make sense anymore.
    On the other side the moonpool needs to recharge faster or it's recharge function would be senseless. If it would recharge the powercells of the vehicles only slightly faster then a powercell charger you would have to wait too long for it to recharge your vehicle.

Even todays electric cars can be fast charged at the right loading stations which reduces a 8 hour charge to a 1 hour charge or something like that. Considering the much higher energy cost for the moonpool recharge and the future tech fact, it's fast recharge is ok.
    On the other side the moonpool needs to recharge faster or it's recharge function would be senseless. If it would recharge the powercells of the vehicles only slightly faster then a powercell charger you would have to wait too long for it to recharge your vehicle.

Even todays electric cars can be fast charged at the right loading stations which reduces a 8 hour charge to a 1 hour charge or something like that. Considering the much higher energy cost for the moonpool recharge and the future tech fact, it's fast recharge is ok.

I'm fine if it'd still be significantly faster than the pcc, but instantly is ridiculous and, frankly, immersion-breaking. Like, why even have that counter on the module station if it's not really used? But even at pcc speed the moonpool's recharge function wouldn't be senseless because it still spares you having to go through any power cell handling. It'd at least remain fancy to bridge short trips, like a quick titanium haul at the Aurora.

I'm fine if it'd still be significantly faster than the pcc, but instantly is ridiculous and, frankly, immersion-breaking. Like, why even have that counter on the module station if it's not really used? But even at pcc speed the moonpool's recharge function wouldn't be senseless because it still spares you having to go through any power cell handling. It'd at least remain fancy to bridge short trips, like a quick titanium haul at the Aurora.

A nice addition could be a storage locker which you jam titanium in and the mood pool will auto repair whatever you have docked. Also changing the charging ratio, so if it's set to fast charge 4:1 ratio, medium 1:1 but takes 2 secs for every % and a slow 1:0.25 but takes 4 secs per %
    edited March 2017

A nice addition could be a storage locker which you jam titanium in and the mood pool will auto repair whatever you have docked. Also changing the charging ratio, so if it's set to fast charge 4:1 ratio, medium 1:1 but takes 2 secs for every % and a slow 1:0.25 but takes 4 secs per %

A second moonpool-specific module might be in order for that. It'd be a nice excuse to get more use in for magnesium and crash powder, and would make for a nice extra balancing trick in terms of functionality/hull strength/prettiness.

Charging ratio is a very good idea! It'd add another layer to improving your energy management while still "respecting" the pcc. It's something that would logically be regulated on the vms (I mean, there is an empty space on the right) and give it some nice extra use.

Now, which one would be best for a quick info check on how many items are still on board the seamoth/PRAWN, because the number of times I've ended up going on a collection mission only to forget to check timely if I've cleared out my vessel from a previous run don't make me look or feel good...
  • gunmetal563gunmetal563 Join Date: 2015-09-30 Member: 208239Members
    the moon pool should charge the power cells on vehicles slightly faster in any faster then the wall charger
    i like the idea of a base specific battery/power storage system were lets say its a room all by itself but you have to craft the basecells winch can take 4 powercells each
    separating base power storage from generation would nerf the solar panels, rather then haven an large amount of solar panels with each charging its own battery as well as supplying power to modules the amount of panels would govern the charge rate vs power use
  • xm234xm234 Poland Join Date: 2017-03-26 Member: 229207Members
    edited March 2017
    I like the idea, especially paired up with the fact, that moonpool is now capable of transferring up to 2000 energy (ion powered PRAWN suit) in a few seconds.
    2000 energy is the current capacity of 80 solar panels or 40 thermal plants, that will stay idle 99% of the time.
    Let's say: You have seven thermal vents in the Giant Tree Cove. Therefore, you can only build seven Thermal Plants giving you 350 power maximum, provided you don't want to build Bio-Reactors or go Nuclear; both require maintenance. Adding a full-sized Base Capacitor would raise this cap to 850.

Actually, you can build multiple plants on a single thermal vent.
    The easiest way is to start building the base from there and place your thermal plants on foundations. About 9 of them will fit on a single panel.
    My Giant Cove Tree base is powered by 41 thermal reactors built around a single smoker :)
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    xm234 wrote: »
    I like the idea, especially paired up with the fact, that moonpool is now capable of transferring up to 2000 energy (ion powered PRAWN suit) in a few seconds.
    2000 energy is the current capacity of 80 solar panels or 40 thermal plants, that will stay idle 99% of the time.

The easiest way is to start building the base from there and place your thermal plants on foundations. About 9 of them will fit on a single panel.
    My Giant Cove Tree base is powered by 41 thermal reactors built around a single smoker :)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that (placing therm gens on their own foundation) bork power transmission if the rest of the base isn't in range / attached? Just saw this on a recent playthrough. (5m27s into the video)
  • xm234xm234 Poland Join Date: 2017-03-26 Member: 229207Members
    edited March 2017
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    xm234 wrote: »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that (placing therm gens on their own foundation) bork power transmission if the rest of the base isn't in range / attached? Just saw this on a recent playthrough. (5m27s into the video)

Actually i had a Giant Cove Tree location in mind, where smokers are close enough to the tree to start building your base from there, what I did.
    Other than that, there is a workaround - a "walking" foundation method.
    If you attach 2 foundations to the base and deconstruct the one physically connected to the base, the remaining foundation will still be a part of the initial base. This way, you can "walk" towards the thermal vent and place your 41 plants :D
    I have no idea, if there is any range limitation, and i wouldn't recommend "walking" across multiple biomes - this might force the game to keep them constantly loaded.