What exactly does Nerve Gas do?

KarpmanKarpman Join Date: 2012-11-19 Member: 172488Members
Tooltip says it depletes alien armor. I've tried using it agains Onos and structures, but it only seems to damage structure armor and do nothing against players. Is this how it actually works?

Comments

• SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    It takes player armor yes.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2017
    If you want to see it in action without the threat of being killed:

Start up a local server

Pull up the console (open and close with the tilde key)
    - j1
    - cheats 1
    - give gasgrenade

Throw that nade o/

Pull up the console once more
    - switch
    - onos

Stand in that gas and see your armor melt away as an Onos, or anything else you want to spawn as (skulk, gorge, lerk, fade, babbler 71.gif)
  • KarpmanKarpman Join Date: 2012-11-19 Member: 172488Members
    Thanks for the info. Another Q. Nerve Gas is listed as normal damage. Does that mean half it's damage to armor is absorbed?
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2017
    um, from memory the damage types are only variable vs armor. For health it's always 1 HP for X damage based on if you still have armor and based on the damage type IIRC

For armor it's, X is the points of damage here for health as well, unless you're out of armor than it's 1 HP for 1 damage

Normal damage, you lose 1 AP for each 2 points of damage

Light is at 1 vs 4
    Heavy is 1 vs 1

Seems complicated now that I see this xD I'm also beginning to think I might not be entirely spot on for this...
  • KarpmanKarpman Join Date: 2012-11-19 Member: 172488Members
    According the the wiki (the old one, the newer one seems to have disappeared), NG does 50 damage per second. The damage types chart says NG damage is a special class of damage, meaning there are modifiers depending on the target of the damage. Like NG damages only armor, while lerk spore damages only health on rines, no damage to armor, no damage to structures at all.

However, the chart notes that special damage is considered normal damage for purposes of calculating armor abortion unless otherwise specified. Nerve gas is specifically explained as "Vs. Kharaa = 100% damage to armor only". So, it looks like NG does full damage to armor.
  • ZdrytchXZdrytchX Australia Join Date: 2016-02-06 Member: 212662Members
    edited March 2017
    Btw gas grenade is next to useless against onos. I confirmed with nin myself where even a upgrade-less onos regens only slightly slower than gas grenade can damage.
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Aliens shouldn't be regenerating while under nervegas afaik.
  • IxianIxian Denmark Join Date: 2014-03-16 Member: 194783Members, Squad Five Blue
    SantaClaws wrote: »
    Aliens shouldn't be regenerating while under nervegas afaik.

Depends on whether it is comp mod/ghouls mod, where damage halts regeneration (the upgrade chamber) or plain vanilla, where regeneration is active constantly.