"Safe" shallows?

Alrekr_IronhandAlrekr_Ironhand New Hampshire, US Join Date: 2016-03-22 Member: 214677Members
New Infected update game. Haven't played since the PRAWN suit update.

WTF are crabsnakes doing in the safe shallows?!? I got attacked and killed by a crabsnake thirty seconds after leaving the lifepod for the first time.

Comments

• DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited March 2017
    Just wait till a Reaper Leviathan (or two) shows up!

It's apparently a BUG...,

They are aware and working on it.
    B)
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    To reset creature locations, you can clear your cache. See my signature below (first line)
  • EndlessHallsEndlessHalls California Join Date: 2016-05-27 Member: 217599Members
    I got spawned right next to a lava vent and stalkers everywhere! It was a little frustrating at first, but the stalkers dropped about 200 teeth around the lifepod, so I quickly became ok with it. That was a lot of cheddar. Something odd though. I got caught in the save/load problem and when I started a new game, I spawned in the exact same place. That's never happened before in the seemingly endless new games I've started. Not complaining, just observing. BTW, I could care less about MP. My friends find the game boring, while it lowers my blood pressure. I love this game. Always a new adventure with a new update. Keep up the good work.
  • MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    To reset creature locations, you can clear your cache. See my signature below (first line)

My foresight came true!!!! :D
  • nekozjinekozji uk Join Date: 2016-04-29 Member: 216121Members
    Dangit, I was hoping that the shallows would be safe again... I gave up on the last update because I had a reefback AND a reaper both circling my one-tube base...

Devs, you should know, we love this game and we're excited for new content; but when there is a bug like this that is really massively ruining QoL, it's hard to see past it. We're a massive crowd of beta testers, and a free resource, but it's hard to test new features when the spawn area is lethal and/or so demoralising that we quit for another month. We'd really appreciate your attention on things like the unsafe shallows, and the ten-wrecks-in-one issue, so that we can focus on actually playing the game and see your new content :)
    nekozji wrote: »
    Dangit, I was hoping that the shallows would be safe again... I gave up on the last update because I had a reefback AND a reaper both circling my one-tube base...

Devs, you should know, we love this game and we're excited for new content; but when there is a bug like this that is really massively ruining QoL, it's hard to see past it. We're a massive crowd of beta testers, and a free resource, but it's hard to test new features when the spawn area is lethal and/or so demoralising that we quit for another month. We'd really appreciate your attention on things like the unsafe shallows, and the ten-wrecks-in-one issue, so that we can focus on actually playing the game and see your new content :)

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say those particular bugs are humdingers. The devs do patch a lot of bugs, all the time. If they don't, well, they're probably stumped or it's going to involve some very in-depth tracing to figure the bugs out. Remember the bug that erased your Cyclops from your saved game on save (only sometimes), with everything in it? Yeah that was a thing for a month or two. Bugs can be a nightmare to track down and fix, I want to say I hear Skyrim had a memory leak for like 6 months before the bug responsible was found.
  • AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
    I do wish this was a feature though! I've tried spawning a Reaper in the shallows at the start of the game - it is still playable, but the difficulty increases somewhat.
  • JustANiceGuyJustANiceGuy United Kingdom (GB) Join Date: 2017-03-02 Member: 228511Members
    Vote for me and I will make the "Safe" Shallows safe again!

I will make a great biome to stop the filthy Leviathans from treading on our safety!
  • garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    The ocean is an inherently dangerous place. If you want "safe", build on one of the islands. :smile:
    I'm gonna go out on a limb and say those particular bugs are humdingers. The devs do patch a lot of bugs, all the time. If they don't, well, they're probably stumped or it's going to involve some very in-depth tracing to figure the bugs out. Remember the bug that erased your Cyclops from your saved game on save (only sometimes), with everything in it? Yeah that was a thing for a month or two. Bugs can be a nightmare to track down and fix, I want to say I hear Skyrim had a memory leak for like 6 months before the bug responsible was found.

I do appreciate the pain of a monster bug - I'm a software developer myself, but not in gaming - so I'm not trying to make light of the work. But... these *will* need fixing before the game can be considered finished. Things like the multiple wrecks killing performance and the 10-hour-corruption issue, are problematic even for experienced players, while newbies who get confronted with a reaper outside their base are quite possibly just abandoning the game. I suspect it's only the small minority of us who find our way to forums and reddit and find things like the cache-clearing fix.

TBQH, it's starting to give Subnautica a bad rep. There's at least a couple of fairly high profile youtubers who've voiced the opinion that the gameplay is fine but the software is so broken that they can't continue their series. People understand early access, and we want to be forgiving, but some of these have dragged on for months, and it can't possibly be helping future or current sales. I can't even recommend it to my friends at this time because it's so aggravating :disappointed:

Genuinely, this is a concern. I want Subnautica to do well, to have a big and active community, and one day have expansions, DLCs, and sequels. I'm increasingly worried that the dev team are so determined to deliver new content month on month that they'll finally get to declaring it "feature complete" and find that nobody's listening any more... IMHO, we need a stability pass very badly, to get the feeling away from being a fight against the software bugs and on to being a fight against the beautiful, immersive, deadly environment the game presents :smile:

I do appreciate the pain of a monster bug - I'm a software developer myself, but not in gaming - so I'm not trying to make light of the work. But... these *will* need fixing before the game can be considered finished. Things like the multiple wrecks killing performance and the 10-hour-corruption issue, are problematic even for experienced players, while newbies who get confronted with a reaper outside their base are quite possibly just abandoning the game. I suspect it's only the small minority of us who find our way to forums and reddit and find things like the cache-clearing fix.

TBQH, it's starting to give Subnautica a bad rep. There's at least a couple of fairly high profile youtubers who've voiced the opinion that the gameplay is fine but the software is so broken that they can't continue their series. People understand early access, and we want to be forgiving, but some of these have dragged on for months, and it can't possibly be helping future or current sales. I can't even recommend it to my friends at this time because it's so aggravating :disappointed:

Genuinely, this is a concern. I want Subnautica to do well, to have a big and active community, and one day have expansions, DLCs, and sequels. I'm increasingly worried that the dev team are so determined to deliver new content month on month that they'll finally get to declaring it "feature complete" and find that nobody's listening any more... IMHO, we need a stability pass very badly, to get the feeling away from being a fight against the software bugs and on to being a fight against the beautiful, immersive, deadly environment the game presents :smile:

As bad as you make it sound, I've been playing since last August (when things really were a bit frustrating) and I've yet to find the game as horribly UNplayable as you describe above.

Sure there's been a few glitches that many have moaned about, but just like with any game STILL IN DEVELOPMENT, that's a given and one has to be patient.

Also, all those folks who are doing Youtubes about this game, need to do a big fat preface to their videos with the above fact...

THIS GAME IS STILL IN BETA.

There's even a big notice when you first load up the game from the developers, which is essentially a warning that it may not work correctly at times.

Anybody who doesn't understand this, perhaps shouldn't be buying and playing BETA games.

B)

DaveyNY wrote: »
    As bad as you make it sound, I've been playing since last August (when things really were a bit frustrating) and I've yet to find the game as horribly UNplayable as you describe above.
    There's even a big notice when you first load up the game from the developers, which is essentially a warning that it may not work correctly at times.

I would define the crashes around the 10 hour mark to be an unplayable game... I am aware I can reset the cache, I have done so previously - what about the large proportion of players who don't find their way to the forums? They will not come back, and they will tell their friends not to buy it. There is a literal game breaker that has existed for months, it's a total show stopper, it absolutely must be fixed before the game can be considered 1.0... so why not focus on it?

Also, "still in beta" - it's due to launch in May, and it's been available for over 2 years. By now, you'd expect the software to at least run reliably. That it doesn't is... concerning.

And no, I'm not playing it. Briefly dabbled last month for the first time since autumn, gave up when my base was inaccessible underneath a reefback/reaper duet. This is my point about failing to harness the early access crowd as testers. I won't be the only person who's no longer interested in being part of beta.
    I see both sides of the argument here. Yes, I have got vary frustrated with the game and its lags and bugs but I still continue to play it. Is it unplayable? No, in my opinion it's not, though that really depends, I guess, on what hardware you have and your levels of patience. I did give up playing it after the Coffee Table update (the one before the latest) as it really did have some major bugs in it, such as the vary annoying invisible walls that were everywhere preventing progression. However, this new update released this week has really improved the play-ability of the game by a huge factor. I think the devs will struggle to release it in May, as it needs a lot of polish, though I do note that Trello shows plans for this next month.

• BDelacroixBDelacroix Florida Join Date: 2016-04-08 Member: 215511Members
    Ok, this happened to me, too. I thought it was just a result of not starting a new game.

I would define the crashes around the 10 hour mark to be an unplayable game... I am aware I can reset the cache, I have done so previously - what about the large proportion of players who don't find their way to the forums? They will not come back, and they will tell their friends not to buy it. There is a literal game breaker that has existed for months, it's a total show stopper, it absolutely must be fixed before the game can be considered 1.0... so why not focus on it?

Also, "still in beta" - it's due to launch in May, and it's been available for over 2 years. By now, you'd expect the software to at least run reliably. That it doesn't is... concerning.

And no, I'm not playing it. Briefly dabbled last month for the first time since autumn, gave up when my base was inaccessible underneath a reefback/reaper duet. This is my point about failing to harness the early access crowd as testers. I won't be the only person who's no longer interested in being part of beta.

Obviously, by your own admission, you don't have the patience for a BETA game.

That's OK, but don't assume that everyone else doesn't either.

Folks who play STEAM Early Preview games are warned in just about all of them, that the games are in development and may not work at times.

It's a crap-shoot and your paying money to Help Get The Game Finished, not to guarantee that it will be perfectly playable during it's development stages.

BTW:
    Any "Friend" who tells their buddies not to play a BETA GAME in the Future, because it's not working Now in its UNFINISHED form, should get laughed at and pretty much ignored.

And the listed May release date for Subnautica is A GOAL, It's not set in stone at this point.

As far as the "software running reliably", for the last two updates the game a been very playable and reliable for me.

B)
  • pie1055pie1055 Join Date: 2016-12-05 Member: 224603Members

Not necessarily. Unknown Worlds is adding content first and fixing bugs later. As there's still content to be added you shouldn't expect bug fixing to be happening yet. Believe me, there have been plenty of games that have had less time to fix bugs more severe than what Subnautica suffers from.
  • Kyman201Kyman201 Washington State Join Date: 2016-01-23 Member: 211880Members
    I do appreciate the pain of a monster bug - I'm a software developer myself, but not in gaming - so I'm not trying to make light of the work. But... these *will* need fixing before the game can be considered finished.

I'm torn between posting a sarcastic comment like "Oh really? Gee, I thought the developers were gonna keep all the bugs in! Give Bethesda a run for their money in terms of a buggy release!" and posting that Nick Cage reaction image of "YOU DON'T SAY?!"

Like, come on, have some basic respect for the Devs. I think you can safely assume that they realize "Oh, we need to fix that before we release".
  • Seph64Seph64 Join Date: 2017-01-13 Member: 226658Members
    I am kinda disappointed that there's no Reaper Leviathan in my Safe Shallows this playthrough. I made the mistake of clearing out my cache files to get rid of him last time, but I admit having to watch my back around my lifepod was thrilling.
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    Here's your replacement, @Seph64.

funny-animals-12.jpg
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    edited March 2017
    Vote for me and I will make the "Safe" Shallows safe again!

I will make a great biome to stop the filthy Leviathans from treading on our safety!

Dont forget the giant Wall that needs to be built around the shallows to prevent those illegal Reaperz 'n Crabsquids to come in and sap those poor Peeper's jobs! :trollface:
    Seph64 wrote: »
    I am kinda disappointed that there's no Reaper Leviathan in my Safe Shallows this playthrough. I made the mistake of clearing out my cache files to get rid of him last time, but I admit having to watch my back around my lifepod was thrilling.

In the shallows, where you want your buddy:
    spawn reaperleviathan 1

Someone correct me if that code is incorrect, I didn't double-check it, but I believe it's correct.
    edited March 2017
    spawn reaperleviathan 1

Someone correct me if that code is incorrect, I didn't double-check it, but I believe it's correct.

Perhaps you should double check before posting advice to ensure correct advice is given. And, sorry, got to say it: "Just saying" :D
  • robotflyrobotfly Virginia Join Date: 2015-07-16 Member: 206185Members

How the fudge do you do this it seem like some secret thing that everyone knows but is not written down.
    robotfly wrote: »

How the fudge do you do this it seem like some secret thing that everyone knows but is not written down.

robotfly, as 0x6A7232 says, look at the first line in his signature. It contains a link that tells you how to do this.
    Myrm wrote: »
    spawn reaperleviathan 1

Perhaps you should double check before posting advice to ensure correct advice is given. And, sorry, got to say it: "Just saying" :D

-_-

http://subnautica.wikia.com/wiki/Debug_Console_Commands#General

http://subnautica.wikia.com/wiki/Spawnable_items

1) I was correct.

2) I have now spawned 100 reaper leviathans to infest your core game files for making me look that up.
    Yes, indeed it was!! :D

NOES!!!!!! I'm telling the devs and they will come and smash you into the middle of next week :D
  • Seph64Seph64 Join Date: 2017-01-13 Member: 226658Members

spawn reaperleviathan 1

Now now, lets not get too hasty. I didn't specifically say I wanted one there right this instant!

>_> <_<

Somewhere between the Aurora and Lifepod 5 sound good? :p
  • robotflyrobotfly Virginia Join Date: 2015-07-16 Member: 206185Members

spawn reaperleviathan 1

Now now, lets not get too hasty. I didn't specifically say I wanted one there right this instant!

>_> <_<

Somewhere between the Aurora and Lifepod 5 sound good? :p

No you want spawn reaperleviathan 100 one of them will be where you want eventually.

But usually what I do to deal with them is I turn on the invisibility cheat and set damage to 1000 just to kill them
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    ... THIS GAME IS STILL IN BETA ...

Just a reminder. A feature incomplete game should be considered in alpha state. I expect this game to go beta after April and consider it to be still alpha at this time. Although it's quite stable for an alpha so far. But the devs will probably need about 2-3 months of beta to fix most things. At least their roadmap reflects the time to polish things and most features are now in the game.
  • JudgeRhadamanthusJudgeRhadamanthus The Internet Join Date: 2015-10-01 Member: 208246Members
    One of those snake things from the Shroom cave followed me up and is now pink slithering and spike facing round mambo .... I mean pod number 5. Shallow: Tick. Safe : Untick.