Fast backup (F5 key)

AsubaAsuba FRANCE Join Date: 2016-04-16 Member: 215835Members
Good evening,

It is quite possible that this request has already been made, but in doubt (not having found a similar post) I allow myself to explain this suggestion.

Is it planned to implement a fast backup key (F5) to the game ?
That would be REALLY practical. :smiley:

As it is, press the key: "Esc" and then click on the : "Save" button becomes laborious with time and breaks any immersion. :(

In the same way, it would be more advantageous to be able to perform multiple backups of the same part (for example: up to 3 backup slots) in case the latter is corrupted or if one Would have saved our game in a buggy zone.

Such a scenario would sign the death sentence of our party. :/

Thanks in advance. :wink:

Comments

• Phoenix223Phoenix223 Chicago Join Date: 2016-02-18 Member: 213174Members
    edited March 2017
    An autosave function is forthcoming. As soon as you enter a "base" - be it lifepod, seabase, or Cyclops (in other words, a spawn point) - your game autosaves. Not implemented yet, but in the very near future.

Given the amount of time it takes for me to save a game (almost ten seconds of freeze time), I don't see this happening... unless autosave works in the background (which in most cases, it does.)

Autosave does also present the challenge of careful planning in your game where, if you make a mistake, you're stuck with it. I think what Asuba is suggesting here bypasses that challenge.
  • AsubaAsuba FRANCE Join Date: 2016-04-16 Member: 215835Members
    edited March 2017
    An autosave function is forthcoming. As soon as you enter a "base" - be it lifepod, seabase, or Cyclops (in other words, a spawn point) - your game autosaves. Not implemented yet, but in the very near future.
    OK perfect ! :smiley:

That would be a good start. :smile:
    Phoenix223 wrote: »
    Given the amount of time it takes for me to save a game (almost ten seconds of freeze time), I don't see this happening... unless autosave works in the background (which in most cases, it does.)
    Strange, for my part the backup is almost instantaneous on my PC (unlike its loading that takes several tens of seconds).

Do you have an SSD or HDD ?
    Phoenix223 wrote: »
    Autosave does also present the challenge of careful planning in your game where, if you make a mistake, you're stuck with it. I think what Asuba is suggesting here bypasses that challenge.
    Yes, for more security, it would be necessary to be able to make a backup of our backup or be able to duplicate it on several slots.

As such, I back up the Steam\SteamApps\common\Subnautica\SNAppData\SavedGames directory before each game (for security).
  • Phoenix223Phoenix223 Chicago Join Date: 2016-02-18 Member: 213174Members
    edited March 2017
    Asuba wrote: »
    Do you have an SSD or HDD ?

HDD, and yeah, that IS part of the problem. If I had a SSD, it would definitely be faster. But I also have a 3 Gbps speed cap to contend with, as well as being unable to put more RAM in my computer without it giving me a Bluescreen.

I could try the latter again with a new RAM stick and hopefully (when I upgrade) the speed cap won't be a problem, right?