New ideas i thought of!

god0606god0606 Italy Join Date: 2016-10-20 Member: 223261Members
So i was swimming trough the vast ocean of subnautica exploring and was thinking what would be cool to have there in the game, looking at all the creatures and outsmarting them is real nice, then i thought...what if we can get some kind of a laboratory where we could take the already hatched certain monsters that we have in our Alien Containment , take their DNA's and merge them together creating so called "Chimeras" . For example a stalker merged with a Sandshark and then creating a SandStalker, we could either use it as a pet then that would distract other animals while we are on a journey of exploring helping us do our mission (took the idea from Riddick movie from 2013 where he was surviving on an unknown planet and managed to pet one of the Hounds of the planet who was helping him distract foes and protecting him), or if we want we could make a choice and release it in the wilderness and then study how it hunts its preys and so on. There are so many other ideas i could think of merging all kinds of existing sea monsters currently released in Subnautica :smiley:

Comments

• indiebobindiebob UK Join Date: 2017-02-23 Member: 228175Members
    I think this is already planned, called the "transfuser" but has been cancelled or postponed until after release.
  • god0606god0606 Italy Join Date: 2016-10-20 Member: 223261Members
    Ahhh so i guess dev's share the same opinion as i do :D glad to hear that ^^ was also thinking of what kind of new vehicles could we possibly get in the future :o
  • LugiaDraLugiaDra Join Date: 2017-02-28 Member: 228383Members
    i have an idea

this a creature that appers only in the mushroom biom so it is a like 1 of the normal creatures but...more weird. remeber the gasopods? so this cretures are like a fusin of 1 of those and 1 of the mushoorms also remeber those
    worms that pup aut and scare the flyng crap aut of you well wen the player comes close baby worms come aut and attak you here is a drawing of how it woud look file:///K:/Users/Tuninos64/Pictures/wormpood.gif
  • Kyman201Kyman201 Washington State Join Date: 2016-01-23 Member: 211880Members
    LugiaDra wrote: »
    i have an idea

this a creature that appers only in the mushroom biom so it is a like 1 of the normal creatures but...more weird. remeber the gasopods? so this cretures are like a fusin of 1 of those and 1 of the mushoorms also remeber those
    worms that pup aut and scare the flyng crap aut of you well wen the player comes close baby worms come aut and attak you here is a drawing of how it woud look file:///K:/Users/Tuninos64/Pictures/wormpood.gif

Okay, if I'm parsing this right... What, like little crabsnakes?
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    Kyman201 wrote: »
    Okay, if I'm parsing this right... What, like little crabsnakes?

Good God...you're like the Typo Whisperer or something. I have no idea how you managed to get that single line out of...all that...but it makes perfect sense.

Untangling that vowel movement...that's worth an Awesome any day of the week.
    edited February 2017
    @scifiwriterguy I read bad and amateur fanfiction for fun, I can navigate some typos. Anyway, looking at it again, I believe that what LugiaDra wrote was roughly this:
    This is a creature that appears only in the mushroom biome, so it is like one of the normal creatures, but more weird. Remember the Gasopods? So this creature is like a fusion of one of those and one of the mushrooms.

Also, remember those worms that pop out and scare the flying crap out of you? Well when the player comes close, baby worms come out and attack you. Here is a drawing of how it would look. [File link]

So what I get from this, if I'm right, is the idea is a special mushroom in the mushroom biome (I can't be sure if they mean Jellyshroom or the Mushroom Forest) that can perhaps spray toxins as a defense mechanism, like the Gasopods. Plus, if that doesn't work, they have small crabsnakes serving as defense.

Which frankly isn't a bad idea.

Edit: Also, another reading of "Fusion between mushroom and Gasopod" could be that it's a mobile creature like a Gasopod, but with a mushroom growing on it, with a defensive little crabsnake instead of the toxin clouds.
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    Kyman201 wrote: »
    @scifiwriterguy I read bad and amateur fanfiction for fun, I can navigate some typos. Anyway, looking at it again, I believe that what LugiaDra wrote was roughly this:
    This is a creature that appears only in the mushroom biome, so it is like one of the normal creatures, but more weird. Remember the Gasopods? So this creature is like a fusion of one of those and one of the mushrooms.

Also, remember those worms that pop out and scare the flying crap out of you? Well when the player comes close, baby worms come out and attack you. Here is a drawing of how it would look. [File link]

So what I get from this, if I'm right, is the idea is a special mushroom in the mushroom biome (I can't be sure if they mean Jellyshroom or the Mushroom Forest) that can perhaps spray toxins as a defense mechanism, like the Gasopods. Plus, if that doesn't work, they have small crabsnakes serving as defense.

Which frankly isn't a bad idea.

Edit: Also, another reading of "Fusion between mushroom and Gasopod" could be that it's a mobile creature like a Gasopod, but with a mushroom growing on it, with a defensive little crabsnake instead of the toxin clouds.

Between those two options, I'm going to agree with you that the first one sounds pretty cool. :) Second one...not so much.
  • phantomfinchphantomfinch West Philadelphia , born and raised on the playground is where I spent most of my days. Join Date: 2016-09-06 Member: 222128Members
    You do know genetic splicing doesn't work with all species, you can't merge a chicken with a lizard to get a dragon. That isn't just how DNA works, ingame it would work like spicing a oculus and a peeper, or a rabbit ray with a ghost Ray.
    edited March 2017
    But at this point in the game the science has improved even more, and since there is already a lot of fantasy in the game why don't we forget that fact about what is possible in reality and just fantasize the game :P . Now imagine getting some kind of a needle as a new tool with which you have to get close to the animal by using the Stasis rifle and take its DNA and then just create some sort of a new egg experiment which you take in the Alien containment and wait for it to hatch...we can leave a chance of failing the process and the animal not properly hatching or evolving and becoming a failure too...if we succeed we can then release that animal into the ocean if we want.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    edited March 2017
    http://subnautica.wikia.com/wiki/Transfuser
    EDIT: I should say, I don't know if that's making it in before v1.0, if at all.
  • ThePassionateGamerThePassionateGamer Germany Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218219Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    http://subnautica.wikia.com/wiki/Transfuser
    EDIT: I should say, I don't know if that's making it in before v1.0, if at all.

Wasn't the Transfuser rather something that would trigger special effects on the injected creature including the player? It was not planed to be a DNA-Puzzler for Subnautica's Fauna or not? At least that is how I see it after reading the wiki.

I think that idea to mashup species has the same coding nightmare behind it like the modular Cyclops idea. It seems very questionable if we will ever see something like this. Cool nonetheless though. ;)
    Yeah i agree it being very hard to code and so on but its just ideas, let them decide if they can pull it of or not hehe :D ..But yeah i agree with you about the Transfuser...i've read about it already on my own but doesn't seem like it would be the same thing as i mentioned, but instead injecting it in yourself or in other animals and just gaining some of their abilities or something, for example giving yourself sandshark's DNA would strengthen your body and make it less vulnerable to other animals and such, injecting yourself with gasopod's DNA could help you get less vulnerable to poisons etc...
  • EndlessHallsEndlessHalls California Join Date: 2016-05-27 Member: 217599Members
    I dunno. Yesterday while playing, I found a funny little glitch. It was a sandshark with the skin of a gasopod. Shaped like a sandshark, acted like a sandshark, sounded like a sandshark, but it was green and had gas warts, just like a gasopod. If it can be done accidentally, it be able to be done on purpose.
  • SigmalxSigmalx USA Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220132Members
    It'd work only if they survive inside an alien containment or a fish tank.
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    Endless uhh that wasn't a mistake
  • ThePassionateGamerThePassionateGamer Germany Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218219Members
    I dunno. Yesterday while playing, I found a funny little glitch. It was a sandshark with the skin of a gasopod. Shaped like a sandshark, acted like a sandshark, sounded like a sandshark, but it was green and had gas warts, just like a gasopod. If it can be done accidentally, it be able to be done on purpose.

I think you may have observed something else:
    My guess would be that you just saw an infected Sandshark not a glitched one. Alot of Subnauticas Fauna (almost all) can become infected with the Carar bacterium (created by the Precursors). Once they are infected, their appearance changes into almost exactly what you describe. Maybe it was just that.

Um, did it look like this?
    latest?cb=20161012092624

If so, see ThePassionateGamer's spoiler.
    It is the new content bacterias, you can scan them and see what is happening to them and observe those bacterias on them, wonder if they will make them die eventually or make us have to cure them if we want them to stay alive :O, finding a cure for ourself, testing it on animals and then on ourselfs or something xD
  • EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    god0606 wrote: »
    So i was swimming trough the vast ocean of subnautica exploring and was thinking what would be cool to have there in the game, looking at all the creatures and outsmarting them is real nice, then i thought...what if we can get some kind of a laboratory where we could take the already hatched certain monsters that we have in our Alien Containment , take their DNA's and merge them together creating so called "Chimeras" . For example a stalker merged with a Sandshark and then creating a SandStalker, we could either use it as a pet then that would distract other animals while we are on a journey of exploring helping us do our mission (took the idea from Riddick movie from 2013 where he was surviving on an unknown planet and managed to pet one of the Hounds of the planet who was helping him distract foes and protecting him), or if we want we could make a choice and release it in the wilderness and then study how it hunts its preys and so on. There are so many other ideas i could think of merging all kinds of existing sea monsters currently released in Subnautica :smiley:

Do you have the slightest idea how much sheer dev time that would require? Programming in every single possible mix, or creating a system that does it automatically, and then balancing every possible combination? On top of delivering an entire current game? This notion is a perfect example of feature creep, the kind of phenomenon that causes games to never come out and become unwieldy budget-wasting monsters.

An entire game was created around just this concept.
    EvilSmoo wrote: »
    god0606 wrote: »

Do you have the slightest idea how much sheer dev time that would require? Programming in every single possible mix, or creating a system that does it automatically, and then balancing every possible combination? On top of delivering an entire current game? This notion is a perfect example of feature creep, the kind of phenomenon that causes games to never come out and become unwieldy budget-wasting monsters.

An entire game was created around just this concept.

You probably didn't read what i wrote in later comments: "Yeah i agree it being very hard to code and so on but its just ideas, let them decide if they can pull it of or not hehe :D ..But yeah i agree with you about the Transfuser...i've read about it already on my own but doesn't seem like it would be the same thing as i mentioned, but instead injecting it in yourself or in other animals and just gaining some of their abilities or something, for example giving yourself sandshark's DNA would strengthen your body and make it less vulnerable to other animals and such, injecting yourself with gasopod's DNA could help you get less vulnerable to poisons etc..." I do know it is real hard to pull of...but i'm just sharing my ideas and if they eventually run out of ideas and want to try it then why not...:P I have some experience with coding, not much but enough to know how hard things are for scripting and doing that would take a long time to script, but not impossible definitely.