Useful Tiger Plants

SnailsAttackSnailsAttack Join Date: 2017-02-09 Member: 227749Members
350?cb=20151019203931

Tiger plants are an enemy that can be found in certain areas of the world. You can attack them to obtain their seeds, and grow them from said seeds. And then they... attack you.

I think that it'd be cool if you could feed them a fish while they are still growing to befriend them. (or something)
Then they would shoot at nearby enemies. One use for this is if you planted one in a pot outside your base to stave them off.

This would work better with my other idea that enemies should attack your seabase every now and then.
Anyways, Thanks for reading.

Comments

• TheRelmLordTheRelmLord The Void Join Date: 2017-01-04 Member: 226060Members
    Quite A Neat Idea! I Think That Somebody Would Plant Millions Of These Around Their Bases And Life Pod To Be Alone From Everything Or Something.
  • CAPSHAWCAPSHAW Nevada Join Date: 2016-09-29 Member: 222692Members
    Yeah Seriously. They have to have eyes or something right, to see something far away and start shooting at it? So what if there was something you could give it like a mushroom that it likes the scent of, and it associates that with you? You could scoop it up and put it in a planter.

I don't know about you, but I tend to build my first base just North of the Life pod, and just West of the Kelp Zone. Lots of Stalkers spawn there, and I'd like them to leave me alone. Plus, if they shoot at passing fish, you can pick them up and eat them!
  • phantomfinchphantomfinch West Philadelphia , born and raised on the playground is where I spent most of my days. Join Date: 2016-09-06 Member: 222128Members
    CAPSHAW wrote: »
    Yeah Seriously. They have to have eyes or something right, to see something far away and start shooting at it? So what if there was something you could give it like a mushroom that it likes the scent of, and it associates that with you? You could scoop it up and put it in a planter.

I don't know about you, but I tend to build my first base just North of the Life pod, and just West of the Kelp Zone. Lots of Stalkers spawn there, and I'd like them to leave me alone. Plus, if they shoot at passing fish, you can pick them up and eat them!

No species on Earth with no optical sensors can't sence its surroundings, take sunflowers for example, they have no eyes yet their bulbs will always point to the sun, even when the sun's course varies throughout the spring and summer months. Tiger plants could sence the player by used of magnetic fields or the plant could be susceptible to vibrations made by the players swimming, ever way nature is cool.
  • SnailsAttackSnailsAttack Join Date: 2017-02-09 Member: 227749Members
    No species on Earth with no optical sensors can't sence its surroundings, take sunflowers for example, they have no eyes yet their bulbs will always point to the sun, even when the sun's course varies throughout the spring and summer months. Tiger plants could sence the player by used of magnetic fields or the plant could be susceptible to vibrations made by the players swimming, ever way nature is cool.

Ironically enough sunflowers do not actually follow the sun at all. Other flowers do, though.

Anyways, yeah. I'd assume they detect vibrations or heat maps or something, and would learn which ones are safe. (look up the video of some dude dropping a fern idk what its called but its cool)
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members

Um...not exactly.

Decrypting the triple negative, that statement comes out to "all species without eyes (or an equivalent) can still sense their surroundings." Considering that response to stimuli is one of the defining characteristics of life, that's not too surprising. But sunflowers are no more remarkable than poison ivy.

The process by which plants respond to light is called phototropism, a specialized version of which - present in sunflowers and other members of family Asteraceae - is heliotropism, where the response is more highly presented. The process is fundamentally the same, though: plant cells in shade produce more auxin than those exposed to light. The increased auxin levels prompt the production of elastins to loosen cell walls and prompt elongation; when cytokinins are also present, the combination of auxin and cytokinin prompts cellular reproduction. This causes the plant to grow asymmetrically and it turns. Since the elongation/reproduction effects are on the shady side of the plant, the plant swings towards the light source.

In basic phototropism, which occurs in nearly all plants, the result is that the plant turns toward the strongest average light source. In heliotropism, however, the effect occurs very rapidly (relatively speaking), allowing the plant to track the sun more precisely. However, there's an upper limit to the speed at which this can occur. If you were to conduct an experiment where you put a sunflower in a dark warehouse with a sunlamp that travels overhead, then vary the speed at which the sunlamp moves during the day, you'll find a point at which the flower just can't keep up. This is because the plant isn't using muscular action to move but changes in cellular shape and number, both of which take much longer to perform than moving muscle fibers.

Some plants are able to move very quickly by shifting water balance, but only in very small, specific movements. Venus flytraps, for instance, can rapidly alter the turgor pressure in their leaves, enabling them to trap prey. However, this action isn't flexible; it only has two states it can exist in, so the idea of a flytrap snatching an insect out of the air like a hand is simply impossible.

At the end of the day, the operation of the tiger plant is totally outside terrestrial botanical science. Realistically, it would be more likely that it would be a rooted animal, like the mature phase of a barnacle, rather than a plant. But the devs say it's a plant so...magic. :)
    -

hooray i probably learned more today from you than from school

• SigmalxSigmalx USA Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220132Members
    and nobody fucking checked the wiki. they detect you by water pressure differences. they'll attack anything like a venus flytrap
  • phantomfinchphantomfinch West Philadelphia , born and raised on the playground is where I spent most of my days. Join Date: 2016-09-06 Member: 222128Members
    Sigmalx wrote: »
    and nobody fucking checked the wiki. they detect you by water pressure differences. they'll attack anything like a venus flytrap

Venus fly traps detect prey with tiny hairs in their mouths
  • SigmalxSigmalx USA Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220132Members
    they could be misfired if wind is strong enough
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    Tigerplant patches in a Growbed tend to shoot at each other, killing off half of it far too easily. Also stray thorns can and will damage your Seabase, limiting their use as defense turrets.
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    -

hooray i probably learned more today from you than from school

That happens to me all the time on youtube
  • BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    Fathom wrote: »
    Tigerplant patches in a Growbed tend to shoot at each other, killing off half of it far too easily. Also stray thorns can and will damage your Seabase, limiting their use as defense turrets.

Simple solution: One plant per pot, spaced out to form a perimeter defence system around your base, but not close enough to damage it. Use concentric rings to make certain that absolutely nothing gets through.
    Fathom wrote: »

Well obviously they wouldn't be able to damage seabases or eachother. Problem solved.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Spiders and other creatures sense with the hair on their bodies, snakes and other creatures sense with heat sensitive glands, dogs and other creatures sense with their ears (ever heard your dog bark at a car a good 10-20 seconds before you hear it?), sharks and other creatures sense with smells... there's other things besides visible spectrum to sense with.
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    Spiders and other creatures sense with the hair on their bodies, snakes and other creatures sense with heat sensitive glands, dogs and other creatures sense with their ears (ever heard your dog bark at a car a good 10-20 seconds before you hear it?), sharks and other creatures sense with smells... there's other things besides visible spectrum to sense with.

Sharks go one better than even their impressive sense of smell. Their ampullae of Lorenzini detect the electrical fields produced by their prey's muscle movements...even the heartbeat of hiding or camouflaged prey.

Like them or not, you have to admit...sharks have style. ;)
  • GlassDeviantGlassDeviant Terra Join Date: 2017-02-27 Member: 228342Members
    Befriend tiger plants? I doubt they are sentient enough to realize you are feeding them fish, much less have emotions such as liking other entities.
    You would have to set some sort of trigger that they would recognize to not attack you.
    You would have to set some sort of trigger that they would recognize to not attack you.

did you read the suggestion

did you read the suggestion

I was responding to @GlassDeviant , basically saying no you couldn't befriend them, you would just have to give them some sort of chemical or other signal that would counter whatever trigger the tiger plant normally uses to fire on creatures near itself.