SN Labelled as a Horror Game?

Comments

• phantomfinchphantomfinch West Philadelphia , born and raised on the playground is where I spent most of my days. Join Date: 2016-09-06 Member: 222128Members
    edited February 2017

Everyone shat their pants when first encountering a reaper levithan,
    also the fog and darkness make it very hard to see
  • SushiDiver500SushiDiver500 Join Date: 2016-05-28 Member: 217686Members
    Once, a Reaper Leviathan spawned next to me.
    That was painful for my heart, and scared me of meh chair.
  • MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    Everyone shat their pants when first encountering a reaper levithan,
    also the fog and darkness make it very hard to see

Speak for yourself. It is an awesome creature but when I first encountered it I was awed, not frightened.
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    I wouldn't say Subnautica is a horror game.

But I would say it is quite terrifying.
  • CaptainFearlessCaptainFearless CO, US Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224941Members
    Subnautica could very much be classified as a horror game, the creature jump scares, the darkness, the unknown, etc.
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    Subnautica could very much be classified as a horror game, the creature jump scares, the darkness, the unknown, etc.

The official word of the devs (I forget where I saw this) was that the game was not made to have jumpscares, but some creatures can give them nonetheless.
  • VesperVesper North, to Alaska! Join Date: 2016-01-21 Member: 211748Members
    I must agree that Subnautica is most certainly not a horror game. Of course I also have issues with it being labeled as a survival game, but I fear I will not win that fight. The genre I would classify the game is on of exploration, but that doesn't seem to be popular with the Marketing Gods these days.
  • nocommonsensenocommonsense Join Date: 2016-08-16 Member: 221427Members
    Myrm wrote: »
    Speak for yourself. It is an awesome creature but when I first encountered it I was awed, not frightened.

Awe is the very essence of true horror. Something merely frightening makes for suspense or action, but being confronted helpless before an insurmountable force of nature, that is awe, that is horror. The dearth of guns is a big part what made Subnautica into a horror game, intentional or not. Also the helplessness of watching the sunbeam get blown up by overwhelming alien tech is a bit of horror. Granted the prawn takes lots of that away, but pre-prawn it's got horror.

An theme that underlays much of horror is the dark heuristic: “it’s judgment that defeats us.” The Reaper being a creature of pure muscle and instinct holds nothing back, and on the other side a super advanced alien civilization with an unyielding quarantine that also kills ruthlessly, efficiently, and most critically, entirely without judgement.

Lovecraft: "The one test of the really weird is simply this—whether or not there be excited in the reader a profound sense of dread, and of contact with unknown spheres and powers; a subtle attitude of awed listening, as if for the beating of black wings or the scratching of outside shapes and entities on the known universe’s utmost rim."

I'd say that Subnautica exemplifies good horror.
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    It's utterly pointless to discuss semantics in a case like this.

The issue is completely subjective. Personally, I wouldn't label it a horror game, because there are many other labels which would have a higher priority. But it certainly has lots of the elements common to the horror genre.

The sad thing to me is that Subnautica loses 99% of it's "fear factor" after the first play through. You can't get so many of the feelings back ever again once you've experienced them for the first time.
    One of the most nervous experiences I've ever had gaming was when I first encountered a Reaper, but I know I'll never, ever feel that again. Ever.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Myrm wrote: »

Awe is the very essence of true horror. Something merely frightening makes for suspense or action, but being confronted helpless before an insurmountable force of nature, that is awe, that is horror. The dearth of guns is a big part what made Subnautica into a horror game, intentional or not. Also the helplessness of watching the sunbeam get blown up by overwhelming alien tech is a bit of horror. Granted the prawn takes lots of that away, but pre-prawn it's got horror.

An theme that underlays much of horror is the dark heuristic: “it’s judgment that defeats us.” The Reaper being a creature of pure muscle and instinct holds nothing back, and on the other side a super advanced alien civilization with an unyielding quarantine that also kills ruthlessly, efficiently, and most critically, entirely without judgement.

Lovecraft: "The one test of the really weird is simply this—whether or not there be excited in the reader a profound sense of dread, and of contact with unknown spheres and powers; a subtle attitude of awed listening, as if for the beating of black wings or the scratching of outside shapes and entities on the known universe’s utmost rim."

I'd say that Subnautica exemplifies good horror.

That's rich, coming from someone with your username. Are you sure you don't have some (a lot) of sense in there?
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I could make a horrific joke here, but I'm scared
  • 999Antonio3849999Antonio3849 Emperor Aquarium Join Date: 2016-10-23 Member: 223324Members
    Subnautica is a horror game for people with Thalassophobia the fear that lets just take the seadrgaon for example could be only 2 feet below you and you dont know
    edited February 2017
    Awe is the very essence of true horror. .

Utter nonsense! You can be in awe of something or somebody without being afraid or horrified.

I see the game as exploration and discovery more than anything else. If people fall off their chairs when playing this game then they are of a vary delicate disposition and probably fall off their chairs when somebody rings the doorbell. :D Reminds me of this type of person:

Scares Easily
    It's utterly pointless to discuss semantics in a case like this.

The issue is completely subjective. Personally, I wouldn't label it a horror game, because there are many other labels which would have a higher priority. ...

Agreed! :smile:

• FleursFleurs France Join Date: 2017-02-18 Member: 228025Members
    Survival then sandbox would come first.
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    As sure as definition of horror is a very personal matter and taste, the mass of players are casual and new players who might be surprise caught by a reaper and thus seeing it different. And the non-lethal aspect of the game created by the devs also makes beginners feel helpless too, adding more horror feel to the game at first.

Finally we shouldn't forget that the game is also age rated as 10+ by ESRB and others. We can expect that a 10 year old kid feels "horror" where we adults only yawn.

A small list of effects in the game that could create horror:
    • surprise
    • terrific close ups
    • dangerous sounds without seeing the source
    • deadly attacks
    • helplessness

The devs have also failed to give really distinctive game modes. There are no different creature tunings, health concepts or vision and speed modes, only one single game balance and a fixed set of on/off flags. So we have a lot of players whining and the devs sitting between the chairs of demand.
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    I don't call it a horror game, but when rec'ing it I do point out its heavy horror aspects. It's kinda like how dark fantasy isn't horror but it also is, only the kind of "horror" that Subnautica is doesn't have a name. It doesn't aim to scare or unsettle, but it knows it offers something that cuts into a common fear/phobia and doesn't ease up on that. Pretty sure I've already said this once, but I like to compare it to Dropsy, which also isn't a horror game but there are people who cannot play it or enjoy it because of the protag's "evil clown" appearance. No point dismissing that.
  • JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    It would work as a horror game... first time I played it it was the scariest game ever. If only this game was built to sustain that feeling of dread however long you played. Now the only time I get scared is when a reaper grabs my ship and throws me around...
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    Jamezorg wrote: »
    It would work as a horror game... first time I played it it was the scariest game ever. If only this game was built to sustain that feeling of dread however long you played. Now the only time I get scared is when a reaper grabs my ship and throws me around...

Crabsquids from behind are worse in my opinion.