On Xbox Performance - Subnautica

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond

imageOn Xbox Performance - Subnautica

Today we’ve released two updates on Xbox One: Precursor and Castles & Coffee. Both bring bundles of new content to Subnautica. Both take steps towards improving performance to acceptable levels....

Read the full story here

Comments

• Aviator1945Aviator1945 Appleton, WI Join Date: 2017-01-02 Member: 225904Members
    Amazing!, can't wait to get back home and get started!! Thank you for the new update(s)!!
  • ShadowAdversy1ShadowAdversy1 NS, Canada Join Date: 2017-02-24 Member: 228206Members
    Yo! I can't wait to salvage all of that Information and Ion Power! And maybe, with all of this tech, I'll be less scared of the Dark Abyss that is known as the Ocean.
  • wowwinkwowwink Merica Join Date: 2016-12-05 Member: 224596Members
  • killer23firekiller23fire Join Date: 2017-02-24 Member: 228207Members
    this is so cool i love this update just got it today and trying it out right now omg this is great :) thanks
  • Rooks_NemesisRooks_Nemesis Ontario Join Date: 2016-06-11 Member: 218388Members
    edited February 2017
    Can we actually do screen shots and put them into the picture frames yet?? Anyone out there know??
  • subjedisubjedi Join Date: 2017-02-24 Member: 228220Members
    Good work gents
    Slowly slowly, catchy monkey,
    Great game, keep up the good work, much appreciated
  • chadg282chadg282 VA Join Date: 2017-01-29 Member: 227407Members
    Thank you dev gods you just made my day.
  • chimp_spannerchimp_spanner Join Date: 2017-02-04 Member: 227581Members
    Appreciate the acowledgement of frame rate issues. Any word on the disappearing knife bug? I've seen several people with the same problem. Downloading the update now so I can't say if it's fixed or not, but it's very offputting having to constantly remake my knife when all I wanna do is progress! Thanks :)
    Thought I'd follow up on my last post; update is great. Still some frame rate hiccups but WAY smoother than before, especially transitioning to the surface. My knife no longer disappears. And...crash powder finally spawns. Seriously I've made more progress in an hour today than in 7 on my last save. So, on that basis alone, big thumbs up from me. Keep it up!
  • joni65joni65 Kansas Join Date: 2016-06-19 Member: 218763Members
    Although I still play on my Macintosh, I purchased the Xbox version and am so happy you are developing for that platform. Thanks for your continued work on it!
  • joni65joni65 Kansas Join Date: 2016-06-19 Member: 218763Members
    Amazing!, can't wait to get back home and get started!! Thank you for the new update(s)!!

It doesn't help! it's still scary as heck!
    Aaaand the save file corrupted after 4 hours of play. If it helps, I saved, took my Seamoth to the Aurora, got eaten, quit to menu and then it corrupt. Might possibly have been because the game was in the process of re-spawning me? Not sure. I'll submit it as a proper bug report.
  • Sonicrocks456Sonicrocks456 Westville NS Join Date: 2017-02-26 Member: 228298Members
    edited February 2017
    so after a couple hours my save corrupted, which REALLY sucks. i put 10 HOURS in, and noticed every piece of quartz suddenly vanished. i thought saving and quiting would fix the problem, and my save corrupted. could we get a hotfix for this, please? I`ll also post a bug report.
  • chadg282chadg282 VA Join Date: 2017-01-29 Member: 227407Members
    Have the same problems as the 2 down below. I had 1 day and 4 hours corrupted and i was not happy i understand this crap happens but maybe if there was more than 1 save file i could go on with my life and not have my kids see a grown ass man cry like a baby. ( can you see where i am going with this ) Please add more save files. One more thing, You all are doing a great job.
  • LordSingulothLordSinguloth Join Date: 2017-01-19 Member: 226955Members
    nicely done devs, the update looks and operates beautifully
    thank you for giving us both of them at the same time, finally being caught up to the pc players is a good feeling
    and having it run at near 30fps at all times is absolutely amazing, a game changer
    very well done
  • jessicalaurajessicalaura Australia Join Date: 2017-02-28 Member: 228390Members
    Thanks for the great work putting out these updates.
    After this update though any save I make gets corrupted and fails to load :(
  • jiveturkeyjiveturkey Join Date: 2017-02-28 Member: 228424Members
    Good afternoon. Xbox player here, affected by the save corruption on a couple dozen hours old save. While I have nothing technical to share I did notice that the time it took to save the game before it went kaput dramatically rose. Prepatch it would be almost instantaneous, but post patch it went up to 30 or so seconds. Hope this helps.
  • xaj1xxaj1x Oi Join Date: 2016-12-21 Member: 225309Members
    jiveturkey wrote: »
    Good afternoon. Xbox player here, affected by the save corruption on a couple dozen hours old save. While I have nothing technical to share I did notice that the time it took to save the game before it went kaput dramatically rose. Prepatch it would be almost instantaneous, but post patch it went up to 30 or so seconds. Hope this helps.
    There is a forum for that if you are wondering
  • DoomsDayWarDoomsDayWar Join Date: 2017-03-09 Member: 228762Members
    What about using the cloud system to preload the terrain and textures?
  • EpxiionEpxiion Dawlish Join Date: 2017-03-13 Member: 228909Members
    Roughly what kind of timescale are we looking at? Probably a slightly too direct question but when do you think we will physically see a significant difference?
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2017
    What about using the cloud system to preload the terrain and textures?
    Cloud system is basically online streaming right? For real time streaming into video memory, that would be the same as loading it from an the internal or an external HDD on high end internet connections. HDD and internet are both WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too slow to make a difference. Especially comparing it to dedicated video memory DDR/GDDR, for graphical loading purposes.

There's a reason for 1-3Gb (3-6Gb for 4K) video cards ;) An external SSD would be a no-no as well, there is no SATA port on the Xbone... That would be the SSD powered Xbone-S

Xbone has:
    500 GB (5400 rpm) Hard Drive (game storage)
    8 GB DDR3 (5 GB available to games, and it's not GDDR5...)
    8GB Flash Memory (no idea what this is used for)

That should technically be enough, but than we also have that weak-ass AMD APU processor and low speed AMD Radeon... Heck the PS4 isn't all that much better TBH, just a fraction... And that would hardly have an impact (a guesstimate of +2-5FPS?), if they choose to go to PS4. But than again, the game would probably be a lot more optimized and the systems are basically PC's, I digress :D

Sorry, I feel like I'm console bashing. I just was throwing out the big issues with this old and unupgradable hardware, so many compromises in these things :o However, it would be in all our best interest to have it run "flawless" on Xbone in any case! I feel the Xbone/PS4 specs are even below the minimum system requirements for PC, but they also run on lower res textures/polygons, soooo...

Alright ignore me, I thought this was about loading textures on the fly, to avoid stuttering/freezing (real time streaming, while playing) :tongue:
  • plumsauce1307plumsauce1307 Join Date: 2017-03-23 Member: 229127Members
    love subnautica and all, but... its taking sooooo long, and you guys kinda lied about wen you were going to relese it
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    love subnautica and all, but... its taking sooooo long, and you guys kinda lied about wen you were going to relese it

Lied where? Trello, the only site I saw a possible release date, was very specific that it was their "best guess" and subject to change. Unknown Worlds is doing the right thing, postponing release when the game isn't going to be ready for it. This is much better than a common developer practice of making a very set release date, and then releasing an incomplete/buggy game.

I'm sure this xbox save bug has set them back, plus they realize they need more optimization time. Give them time, they never made any promises.
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited March 2017
    love subnautica and all, but... its taking sooooo long, and you guys kinda lied about wen you were going to release it

Perhaps you kinda just failed to understand that the original release date was a "Best Guess" and not ever "set in stone" by the Dev's.
    B)
  • Errol007Errol007 Join Date: 2017-04-26 Member: 230005Members
  • xIISwiftyboyIIxxIISwiftyboyIIx Liverpool Join Date: 2018-02-17 Member: 237765Members
    02/17/2018 - (Used Commands to show FPS) I’ve played around 1Day and 13Hours. The game in the shallows which includes my base which is relatively large, a cyclops and a Seamoth runs at the lowest 9fps at some points with Highs being 24-28fps. I still enjoy it though. Also, Rendering is around 5 chunks in all directions, very slow rendering.
  • WuChiWuChi United Kingdom Join Date: 2018-02-20 Member: 237970Members
    Hoping that at some point, when Subnautica runs well on Xbox (Stability as well as Visually), it will eventually release on PS4. Fingers crossed!