Unity Engine/ Performance Technical Question for Devs

DripdryDripdry Georgia Join Date: 2017-01-03 Member: 226041Members
Hi:
I know the Devs don't answer questions much, but maybe someone here can answer it too.

1) It appears that at some point Subnautica was upgraded to Unity 5.4
2) From what I've read from recent conferences/announcements, Unity is making it a priority to rewrite their engine to use ALL cores on a CPU.
3) As I understand it, the limitation for having lots of objects in a game, as in Subnautica (which seems to be really pushing the engine, hence performance issues), is the CPU (although the GPU is pushed too of course)
4) Dev Question: Will you be upgrading Subnautica to Unity 5.5/5.6/etc. at some point in order to take advantage of all the extra processing power coming down the pike with 6 and 8-core CPUs? Apparently Unity will begin redefining what jobs are (their parlance), and allowing them to be pushed off to other cores much more easily.
More pointedly: Is the CPU a major bottleneck for pushing all the work the engine is doing (YES I know I'll get people coming in saying the GPU does lots of work, I know it does, but as I understand it the CPU does handle the Unity engine itself, see #3).

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Might want to pop on the Discord server (link in my signature if you need it) and ask them directly when they're available (status green). Just don't forget to post back any replies you might get, I'm curious too (as I know Unity is also enabling Vulkan, which is supposed to get a performance boost right out of the gate without the game devs even optimizing anything for Vulkan themselves).
  • DripdryDripdry Georgia Join Date: 2017-01-03 Member: 226041Members
    Thanks! I'll follow it up, and if I get a reply it'll go here.