Sunbeam and plot progression

FirebeeFirebee Ontario Join Date: 2015-12-30 Member: 210581Members
Ive played through the new stuff with the sunbeam recently and have some thoughts about the events placement in the time line. I feel like it happens a bit too soon? Playing through while rushing, I managed to get a seamoth before it came but I hadn't been to the aurora yet, or gotten to most of the lifepods, or even made it to the floater island and it just made me feel so much more rushed and confused. Because I had so many plot things telling me to do stuff between the auroras drive core needing repair, the message telling me to go to the rendezvous point on floater island, and the Sunbeam messages slowing building on me. I under stand having it happen sooner so you don;t fund the structure on the other island before the message tells you to go there but it kind of ruins the feel of the game for me. I've always liked the laid back, do it as you do it feel of subnautica and everything happening so fast kind of got in the way of that.

It also got in the way of the guided exploration we had with the other messages, since, the life pod messages guided us around and then guide us out to floater island with the aurora this ever present option that we are not actively prompted to go to. I feel the Sunbeam plot should be triggered by actually going to the floater island so that once youve done that and got your next bread crumb to go deeper, then you are guided to the second island. By then most people will have wrapped up all the life pods, and probably gone to the aurora after checking out life pod 4. I just personally feel like it would fit better there. What does every one else think?

Comments

• DracobombaDracobomba Join Date: 2016-04-08 Member: 215502Members
    I am 99% positive that nobody, in a normal blind playthrough, would reasonably be able to find the floater island on their own. It's very cleverly hidden as nobody thinks to go to the surface of such a deep biome. People are so busy worrying about what's below them that they forget about what's above them. As far as I know, you can only either stumble on it by accident or use the teleporter on the much-easier-to-find Mountain island. Which means in order to ensure the player gets there, they need to get to the Mountain island first. Having the plot lead the player there first just makes sense that way.

As for the aurora's drive core, other than the initial blast, nothing in the game pressures you to explore it, much less fix the core itself. You can feasibly go through the entire game ignoring the area around the aurora and only explore it when you want to.

I think you probably just checked the radio a tad bit too often and ended up getting things to occur all at once.
  • Kyman201Kyman201 Washington State Join Date: 2016-01-23 Member: 211880Members
    I'm pretty sure that we're not supposed to be able to save the Sunbeam. I'd put money down that the Sunbeam's entire purpose is to serve as a draw to the Mountain Islands and the Weapon Array that shoots down nearby ships.

There probably is no scripted result for shutting down the weapon before the Sunbeam arrives because you basically need to all but complete the game (get cured) in order to deactivate the weapon.

Which means building a Cyclops, probably a PRAWN, diving down through the Lost River, into the Lava Zones, dodging the Sea Dragons, finding the Emperor, and getting back up to deactivate the weapon.

I think trying to save the Sunbeam is as futile as attempting to keep the Aurora from exploding.
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    edited February 2017
    Kyman201 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that we're not supposed to be able to save the Sunbeam. I'd put money down that the Sunbeam's entire purpose is to serve as a draw to the Mountain Islands and the Weapon Array that shoots down nearby ships.

There probably is no scripted result for shutting down the weapon before the Sunbeam arrives because you basically need to all but complete the game (get cured) in order to deactivate the weapon.

Which means building a Cyclops, probably a PRAWN, diving down through the Lost River, into the Lava Zones, dodging the Sea Dragons, finding the Emperor, and getting back up to deactivate the weapon.

I think trying to save the Sunbeam is as futile as attempting to keep the Aurora from exploding.

Originally the Sunbeam's messages basically told you "Yeah sorry, we're not equipped to help you right now but we'll drop a message at the next starbase in a year or so. Hold out until then m'kay?" and the Signal Device was the thing that pointed you at the island. After they started phasing out the Signals in chests with ones received from communications, I guess they needed something/someone to direct you to the not-that-hard-to-find island. I'm still not convinced the Sunbeam was the best way to go about it, but it works I guess.

Trying to save it under the current conditions, yeah it'd be futile. A fun speed run challenge for those who are into that sort of thing perhaps, but futile for everyone else. I don't think it could be futile though - our coms relay is obviously short range. Enough to pick up and transmit in the vicinity but not enough to go off-planet. The Aurora's distress signals though, are strong enough to go off world and the Sunbeam picks those up. After that a timer starts in the background until it arrives (I don't feel like a week actually goes by between the first message and their arrival does it? Guess they pick up the pace after they find your ship got messed up) and that gives you X in-game days to find out about the defense platform and its purpose then either (A) Disable it, or (B) repair the Aurora's long-range communications and signal to the Sunbeam that approaching the planet is suicide. Oh, and (C) - letting them approach anyway, because variety's good like that and the possibility you simply failed to meet the requirements for saving them.

Like how I feel about the ILZ access points right now I feel the game should be allowing the player more choices in things, and there's plenty of room for allowing the Sunbeam to be spared - we just don't have the means to in the current build of the game. When more achievements are added in the future, I could see saving them (Or failing / refusing to) as being an achievement of its own too.
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    edited February 2017
    Like I said before. Even if you disable the gun before it comes. It will still get shoot down because the game doesn't have an animation for it landing safely. Only one for it getting shot down. Once the timer hits zero, and the sunbeam comes and is getting ready to land the gun will fire even if disabled. Unless the devs add an animation for it landing safely but that will be stupid because it is made that you can't disable the gun before it comes.
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    Like I said before. Even if you disable the gun before it comes. It will still get shoot down because the game doesn't have an animation for it landing safely. Only one for it getting shot down. Once the timer hits zero, and the sunbeam comes and is getting ready to land the gun will fire even if disabled. Unless the devs add an animation for it landing safely but that will be stupid because it is made that you can't disable the gun before it comes.

True, for now. In the future though they'll either need to have an alternate outcome where it lands without getting shot down (However you may get that done) or have a way of getting them to turn back. Because having a disabled weapon still be able to fire sounds a little odd xD
    I read on Trello that they were considering alternate endings for the game. There's been nothing on what these alternate endings could be that I know of, and since they're cutting some existing content it wouldn't be out of the question to think they might cut possible content like this, but right now we know the game's planned to end by you leaving on a crafted rocket of your own. What if an additional ending is you leaving on the Sunbeam?
  • DavidXlte01234DavidXlte01234 Indonesian Join Date: 2017-02-15 Member: 227936Members
    can we make the Communication Relay to send a message to sunbeam? just like Emily Is Away you just type randomly and then you got a word that you spell by just typing randomly so we can contact earth or Sunbeam to NOT fly to their death?
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    Chances are the Earth is a couple LIGHTYEARS away. The Aurora's mission (not the mission that most of the passengers didn't know) was to set up a star gate for trade or something. So I'm guessing that the Earth is probably to far away to contact
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Chances are the Earth is a couple LIGHTYEARS away. The Aurora's mission (not the mission that most of the passengers didn't know) was to set up a star gate for trade or something. So I'm guessing that the Earth is probably to far away to contact

http://subnautica.wikia.com/wiki/Data_Downloads#Alterra_Launches_the_Aurora
    Alterra Launches the Aurora

PHASEGATE ANNOUNCED FOR THE ARIADNE ARM: ALTERRA LAUNCHES THE AURORA

The furthest reaches of inhabited space are due to expand, as Alterra Corp launches a newly-constructed capital ship, carrying a phasegate bound for the Ariadne Arm.

The Aurora will travel from spacedock on the edge of Alterra space, making hundreds of consecutive phasegate jumps through nine different trans-gov authorities, and arrive on the far side of the Ariadne Arm in three months' time. From there the command crew will pilot the ship beyond the final phasegate, arriving in the next solar system approximately 18 months later.

There the elite team of engineers will begin a 6 month construction project on the new phasegate, a multi-trillion credit investment. In the absence of existing infrastructure in the region, the vessel is equipped with advanced thermal and nuclear power facilities.

Alterra Corp. currently operates 9% of all phasegates in the galaxy. If the Aurora's mission is successful Alterra will have outmaneuvered a cabal of Mongolian corporations, operating a range of outposts and mines in the region.
    Make that thousand of light years
  • DavidXlte01234DavidXlte01234 Indonesian Join Date: 2017-02-15 Member: 227936Members
    then just to contact nearby Sunbeam or nearby spaceships on the planets... maybe.. probs..
    Pretty sure nearby space ships are still to far. Since the Aurora mission was to set up phase gates and check for any Surivors of the Degasi (or what ever) since the phaser gate is a teleporter. I'm guessing it was set up for trade. To make trading easier so nearby spaceships or space stations are probably around a couple months away to thousands of light years away.
    then we need another idea..... hmmmm.... anyone? cause i'm want to go to bed.... precursors sattelite? like i know they just can use the teleporter but it will make the disease to go to their planet so they use a massive satellite to communicate? and we need to understand their language first to send the message? plz any idea i want to go to bed
  • somerandomsurvivorsomerandomsurvivor Join Date: 2016-12-28 Member: 225606Members
    I mean, I personally don't see anything wrong with the current progression using the sunbeam, in fact I think it could be improved a different way.

So as you play normally you have a pretty good chance (100% is pretty good) of seeing the sunbeam explode. Now imagine that all the people asking if you can save it... actually get a yes for an answer. Speedrunning reward.

Just as metroid 1 had samus becoming a girl if you did everything fast enough, so too do you get an alternate ending if you can cure the disease and stop the cannon fast enough. Should you beat the clock, you get to leave then and there, and get some cool ending. It would be a reward for speedrunning the game, and create a challenge to overcome.

The game is about exploration, but just as any open world game, it is about challenge. When you run out of challenges, you make your own. So this would be a challenge to overcome, a cool one that would be made by the devs.
  • kingdoo10kingdoo10 UK Join Date: 2017-01-20 Member: 226989Members
    I don't think it needs changing at all.

Think about it when you go into the game blind you don't know anything about what is happening within the game. So you are either going to get the messages because you fix the communications relay, which for 99% of new players will eventually happen and probably long before you find any information about the carar and gun itself.

Also, it seems to be that the communications relay is a tempoary solution when being crash landed on an alien planet. It doesn't seem to be effective enough to send out strong enough signals allowing you to directly communicate with the Sunbeam ship. Although it is unclear whether this is because they will implement it but haven't, the planet is too far away from civilisations so direct transmission is impossible or whether the communications relay really is just a emergency terminal where you can get information and send out an emergency report but that is essentially it.

TBH the Sunbeam is pretty dumb they don't take any precautions to scan and identify whether there was a major hazard that destroyed the Aurora.
    It is possible that the scanner couldn't pick up the gun
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    kingdoo10 wrote: »
    I don't think it needs changing at all.

Think about it when you go into the game blind you don't know anything about what is happening within the game. So you are either going to get the messages because you fix the communications relay, which for 99% of new players will eventually happen and probably long before you find any information about the carar and gun itself.

Also, it seems to be that the communications relay is a tempoary solution when being crash landed on an alien planet. It doesn't seem to be effective enough to send out strong enough signals allowing you to directly communicate with the Sunbeam ship. Although it is unclear whether this is because they will implement it but haven't, the planet is too far away from civilisations so direct transmission is impossible or whether the communications relay really is just a emergency terminal where you can get information and send out an emergency report but that is essentially it.

TBH the Sunbeam is pretty dumb they don't take any precautions to scan and identify whether there was a major hazard that destroyed the Aurora.

To your eyes it appears to be shrouded in cloud. To a mechanical scanner, it probably appears to be an innocent island with two mountain peaks. One does not realize that one of the peaks is artificial until it's too late.

Why, when they just wanted quarantine? Perhaps they didn't want someone leveling their gun with a KEW.
  • TheRelmLordTheRelmLord The Void Join Date: 2017-01-04 Member: 226060Members
    [like objective...]

Says The One That Wants Multiplayer. (Am I Using The Quote System Correctly?)
    something fishy is going on here... haha... because subnautica is full of fish.. hahahaha.... nevermind thats a bad jokes
  • CrashLandon123CrashLandon123 Texas, United States Join Date: 2017-02-25 Member: 228259Members
    something fishy is going on here... haha... because subnautica is full of fish.. hahahaha.... nevermind thats a bad jokes
    You're good at life, you know that?
    You're good at life, you know that?

well..... sometimes....
    well.... is kinda quiet in here..... anything happen? are we landed on mars?
    Nope, I'm on Venus instead
    Nope, I'm on Venus instead

well.... i'm on the new Exoplanet that NASA found... i'm from the future...... nah i dont... so.... waht now? suggestion?