Patch 313 not working

adoidosadoidos Join Date: 2017-02-18 Member: 228023Members
Hello, I have not played this game in quite a while. Last time I played it was when build 276 was released. I decided to check the game out again only to find out the patch is not installing. It just says "Error! Cannot update game". What appears to be the problem?

Comments

• .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    Have you tried validating your game files in Steam? Or outright delete all NS2 files and reinstall? I had a Steam hiccup like this a few years ago...
  • benoveerbenoveer Join Date: 2013-04-23 Member: 184950Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    i agree its not working at all. I cant find any server in the list, and if I use the steam one and connect , it tells me that they are out dated
  • adoidosadoidos Join Date: 2017-02-18 Member: 228023Members
    .trixX. wrote: »
    Have you tried validating your game files in Steam? Or outright delete all NS2 files and reinstall? I had a Steam hiccup like this a few years ago...

Reinstalled it twice and the files are validated. Is there a chance someone can upload the 313 patch on here?
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Where are you seeing Steam say "Error! Cannot update game"? I'm confused.
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    Where are you seeing Steam say "Error! Cannot update game"? I'm confused.

When the patch is about to start downloading, that's where the error comes in
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Have you tried completely uninstalling, then installing steam?(NOT just re-installing). This sounds like an issue with Steam, and we don't really have any control over that.

If that doesn't work, follow this guide: https://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/131428/obbys-full-nuke-ns2-guide-only-way-to-be-sure
    Have you tried completely uninstalling, then installing steam?(NOT just re-installing). This sounds like an issue with Steam, and we don't really have any control over that.

If that doesn't work, follow this guide: https://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/131428/obbys-full-nuke-ns2-guide-only-way-to-be-sure

Unfortunately that doesn't work at all. Just the same old error message. Maybe making a new steam account will work? But then I'd need a key for the game or buy it again. I'll try the techsupport zip
    edited February 2017
    adoidos wrote: »

Unfortunately that doesn't work at all. Just the same old error message. Maybe making a new steam account will work? But then I'd need a key for the game or buy it again. I'll try the techsupport zip

TechSupport.exe really only helps us diagnose problems with the game itself, not Steam. This sounds like a Steam issue. Have you tried contacting Value?

TechSupport.exe really only helps us diagnose problems with the game itself, not Steam. This sounds like a Steam issue. Have you tried contacting Value?

No I have not yet. Are you sure I can't manually download the patch? I'll contact valve and see what they say though
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited February 2017

No I have not yet. Are you sure I can't manually download the patch? I'll contact valve and see what they say though

You may need to delete the \Steam\SteamApps\downloading (Steam is your Steam install folder in this case) folder if steam is stuck with downloading an update.

Otherwise you may be successful with resetting steam itself. Be aware you will have to re-login into steam afterwards. For that delete everything in \Steam\ beside SteamApps/, userdata/, Steam.dll and Steam.exe. Starting Steam afterwards will reinstall it (your game files are still available as those are stored in SteamApps/).

You may need to delete the \Steam\SteamApps\downloading (Steam is your Steam install folder in this case) folder if steam is stuck with downloading an update.

Otherwise you may be successful with resetting steam itself. Be aware you will have to re-login into steam afterwards. For that delete everything in \Steam\ beside SteamApps/, userdata/, Steam.dll and Steam.exe. Starting Steam afterwards will reinstall it (your game files are still available as those are stored in SteamApps/).

Alright so I did exactly what you said. Now instead it starts downloading but then stops after a dozen seconds or so. I'll see what valve has to say about this.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts

Alright so I did exactly what you said. Now instead it starts downloading but then stops after a dozen seconds or so. I'll see what valve has to say about this.

Did you already tried switching your download region (Steam -> Settings -> Downloads -> Download Region)? That's the last thing i can think of. Otherwise i really sounds like Valve needs to check your account.

Did you already tried switching your download region (Steam -> Settings -> Downloads -> Download Region)? That's the last thing i can think of. Otherwise i really sounds like Valve needs to check your account.

yay! valve fixed it! It was some internet session problem that prevented me from downloading the patch

yay! valve fixed it! It was some internet session problem that prevented me from downloading the patch

Great to hear it has been resolved.