Vehicle upgrade idea

N340N340 Join Date: 2017-01-30 Member: 227465Members
Have you ever been exploring in a seamoth or PRAWN suit only to be ambushed by a reaper leviathan or some other deadly creature? When you finally escape them your vehicle has lost most of its health, so you want to repair it before another creature finds you. So you exit and get out your repair tool only for the monster to come back and find you exposed. I've been in this situation multiple times recently, and this has given me an idea. What if you could build a vehicle upgrade that slowly repairs the vehicle you are piloting? Like little nanobots that will work on damage to the vehicle without the need for you to use a repair tool. If one of these upgrades exists it should be seamoth/PRAWN compatible and not too fast that a reaper attack will be fixed in a couple of minutes, maybe 10 percent health in one minute. This would save many players and their vehicles of choice from doom.

Comments

• SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    @Foxy, we have multiple of the same thread, work your magic.

And on topic, I like the idea on self-repairing vehicles, but it should be relatively slow, as to not be too overpowered. If it repaired too fast, it would make the repair tool obsolete.

I would say 15% per in-game day.
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    Make it a system you have to trigger.
    "Emergency Nano Repair"

It would then shut down the vehicle for about 20 seconds, repair like 20% health, and use 35% of its Battery.
    It would work on a "Charges" system, meaning it can only be used 3 times before docking with a Moonpool or Cyclops and replinishing its charges.
  • SP_KennySP_Kenny Southpark Join Date: 2017-01-22 Member: 227115Members
    Just like auto recharge when docked but at a slower rate - auto repair
  • AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
    I'd like the opposite - more complex manual repairs requiring more specific components and more time spent.
  • ChaosKnight626ChaosKnight626 Minnesota Join Date: 2015-08-05 Member: 206783Members
    Or just get out of the dangerous area so you can safely repair it
  • IcremunIcremun Join Date: 2016-09-12 Member: 222276Members
    I would like this for another reason, I hate having by sea moth at not 100% and when I hit a fish I find myself getting out and repairing that 1% of damage.

whilst we are on the topic of self repair it would be cool to have a sea base module and a Cyclops upgrade that deploys Altera versions of the precursor droids that can repair your base.
  • SP_KennySP_Kenny Southpark Join Date: 2017-01-22 Member: 227115Members
    edited February 2017
    Or just get out of the dangerous area so you can safely repair it

That is how I do it now, but when your running around and hit a fish or two on the way back and are at 80 something percent, dock up and do stuff then jump back in and go crap, I forgot to fix the 20% damage.....

Maybe a compromise would be if it more then 20% damage it takes some repair interaction from the player. If the damage is only 20% or less it auto repairs over time when docked?
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited February 2017
    Gees folks, it takes all of about 8-10 seconds to repair a seamoth that's below 75%.

Put on yer big-boy pants, turn off the lights, drop down to the sea floor and just get out and fix it.

I've parked my Seamoth practically underneath a Reaper by the Aurora and snuck around to collect stuff I've wanted.
    In my experience, as long as it doesn't see you or your vehicle moving, it will pretty much leave you alone.

Stop trying to make a SURVIVAL GAME easier.
    smh
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    DaveyNY wrote: »
    Gees folks, it takes all of about 8-10 seconds to repair a seamoth that's below 75%.

Put on yer big-boy pants, turn off the lights, drop down to the sea floor and just get out and fix it.

I've parked my Seamoth practically underneath a Reaper by the Aurora and snuck around to collect stuff I've wanted.
    In my experience, as long as it doesn't see you or your vehicle moving, it will pretty much leave you alone.

smh

It's just giving ideas, there's no harm in it.
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited February 2017
    But that's really kind of a silly idea...
    Especially since the idea of a survival game is to be a challenge, not a walk in the park.

How about coming up with something that makes the game a bit Harder and More Interesting to play.

Like increasing the quantities and assorted types of materials needed to make the larger vehicles.

Or maybe come up with simple ideas that improve game-play but don't take away the challenge, like adding a hatch just behind the circular entrance to the seamoth/PRAWN in the Cyclops, so we can unload those vehicles without having to go outside the big sub to do it.
    B)
  • RazorLilyRazorLily Norway Join Date: 2017-02-06 Member: 227674Members
    With the current repairing system, you can basically bypass the crushdepth with for example a PRAWN. The damage taken rate is slow and the repair is ridicilously fast when it comes to it's hp. So more advanced repairing system and more specific parts to repair would sure be a great addition to the game.
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    DaveyNY wrote: »

smh

Lol yeah who the hell needs a Seamoth just swim there yourself you're supposed to SURVIVE lmao
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    I can see where the OP is coming from, and there's a valid point there - even though it isn't all the way out to finished idea. It's about play style accommodation. Which is more appealing to you? Park on the bottom, pretend you're just a friendly 'ol rock, and quick-weld the 'Moth hoping you don't end up reaper chow, or; sacrifice a third or more of your power cell just for a 20% fast repair, potentially stranding you without power away from base or Cyclops? Of course, you can bring another cell, but that's inventory space that could've been used to pick up something you really need. It's why Halo had a sniper rifle and an SMG; different people will solve problems in different ways.

If you only give someone a hammer, everything starts looking a lot like a nail.
  • ThePassionateGamerThePassionateGamer Germany Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218219Members
    Just a simple Moonpool/Cyclops repair option would be nice. Maybe restrict it only to the moonpool. That one should really be able to repair the docked vehicles. Just for the sake of convenience of having a 100% ready vehicle when you undock, as long as you have your Base powered would be nice.
  • JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    I understand where you're coming from, but I think that this would make the game a little bit too easy, and that's the last thing we need right now. There are so many ways to pass by reapers its unreal, and the Sea Dragon is about to go through some tuning to make it even more dangerous because it was lacking that sense of dread.

So how about instead of an upgrade fixing this problem we have an upgrade that prevents this from happening in the first place? A sort of hull reinforcement that affects damage dealt and not depth.

Or a shield generator that you have to time just before a Reaper attacks you so that your moth doesn't get damaged.

I prefer the latter, as it includes strategy and timing. I agree we need a way to counteract Leviathans, but I don't think we should make it as easy as a self-repairing upgrade.