Defensive creature in the Mountains, Dunes and around the Aurora.

kingdoo10kingdoo10 UK Join Date: 2017-01-20 Member: 226989Members
We need more types of creatures that are defensive. I particularly think it would be a good idea if in the mountains, dunes and deep areas of the Aurora there was a defensive carnivore. They have a hatching season whereby they lay 2 or 3 eggs in some of the caves on the mountains, and find/create nests within the Dunes and Aurora. The creature itself can grow up to 100metres in length as the PDA would suggest, but typical size tends to be between 40-80metres. Their eggs would be the largest in game, apart from the Sea Emperors and if they implement them the sea dragons (although this depends upon the parent). They would also vary in size depending upon the size of the parent. These are the main source of food for the Reaper Leviathans within the areas. The reapers, are limited in numbers due to the massive wipe out of the carar, and whilst before they would relocate to other biomes to feed this just isn't possible due to the lack of food within these biomes. As such they have had to adapt in order to stalk and steal the eggs off of this creature (this could be a possible explanation for them being very teritorial and marking homes within the dune, mountain and aurora biomes), I want to say it can be a massive crab like creature, because it can crawl against the mountain sides and in the dunes can walk along the ground. I would however say that it can also swim, especially if it sees a reaper coming close by. But genuinely chooses not to and tends to have systematic roaming patterns on the ground.

If they add respawning of creatures, then it can be particularly aggressive towards any reaper that steals their eggs, often resulting in a massive battle which is often won by the crab due to it's versatility and strong armoured shell. It also has a distaste towards the warpers who often choose to warp them away from their eggs in order to stop the spread of the carar which tends to be higher within this creature. The carar is rarely visible other than to it's head, because the shell doesn't contain the cists. They will be unable to be killed by any weapon that is currently available within the game. But reapers will often get the upperhand over the smaller ones.

This creature is very aggressive, but only if a creature like the reaper/Warper aggros it. In general it is a peaceful creature and will only attack the player if they are currently breeding, but only if you get too close to the eggs and of course if you steal an egg itself. If you steal it's egg it starts to chanse you at high speeds and will for a long time and will often result in instant death as during it's aggro it has a 100% hit rate. Same will often go for the reaper levithans and the only way you are genuineky safe to take one of their eggs is if you have seen the reaper eat one of the eggs and is consequently the creature is in a large battle with said reaper. The egg itself, doesn't have any special powers except you can eat it raw and it gives you no penalty to water and is quite a large food source that doesn' go off. Also, you cannot keep any of the eggs in the alien containment unit because the creature has a specific growth hormone, which means it will continue to grow until it is bigger than the parent, due to evolutionary patterns. The PDA will say after scanning the egg , something along the lines of "unfortuantely this creature cannot be put in the alien contaiment unit because although this habitat looks to replicate alien lifeforms, and is often able to make creatures fit the size of the containment, this creature will unfortuntely continue to grow overtime due to a unique hormone that is currently detectable but beyond the manipulation of current knowledge, further research required?" The PDA if you scan this creature will say what I have said above. But will include the age of the one you have scanned, which is different depending upon the one you scanned. Often the smaller ones will be a lot younger compared to the larger ones, often by a couple hundred years or so. The PDA will also explain that the outershell is considered to be stronger than that of diamond. The shell is therefore indestructable by technology that you currently have access to including the top upgrades of the prawn (The easiest way of killing them is by attacking the head, which is extremly difficult to achieve due to it's amazing agility and because it has the ability to hide it's head within it's shell.) The PDA will also explain that the creature is in general a docile creature, it is currently unknown, why it is often parenting alone as DNA suggests a partnership role similar to that of the Reef Backs. Once you find out about the carar, the PDA will either update and explain that since over 130 billion (I want to say it was around that much) that this creature had to become independent in order to survive without enough food and with increased dangers.

Comments

• Shifter6Shifter6 Join Date: 2017-01-11 Member: 226556Members
    The behavior you describe here is pretty cool, but keep in mind that individual egg entities will force many people to suffer from lag issues due to too many things loaded, and the devs would have to implement some way to make every egg unique. I also think it should be fair to grow dwarf versions of these creatures (which based on your descriptions sounds like crab squids...maybe change them to something more similar to lobsters?) using a special compound formed out of something very hard to get. Either way, this sounds really cool.
  • kingdoo10kingdoo10 UK Join Date: 2017-01-20 Member: 226989Members
    Shifter6 wrote: »
    The behavior you describe here is pretty cool, but keep in mind that individual egg entities will force many people to suffer from lag issues due to too many things loaded, and the devs would have to implement some way to make every egg unique. I also think it should be fair to grow dwarf versions of these creatures (which based on your descriptions sounds like crab squids...maybe change them to something more similar to lobsters?) using a special compound formed out of something very hard to get. Either way, this sounds really cool.

Thanks for the reply.

I think a lobster could work too. Although I don't really think the crab squid really represents a crab, apart from the legs. It more resembles the squid/octopus in my opinion. This would be a massive crab type creature maybe more resembling a scorpion as I think that would be interesting and ignores any potential similaries with the crab squid. It will therefore have 3 different stinger tails which deal full damage towards the player and also deals between 40 and 60% damage towards the seamoth. They might be seen by new players as really agressive creatures as most players will likely encounter them and not know that they are just being defensive. You however know if they are in season which will be if they are roaming at quick speed or not. If they are then you know they have their babies nearby, if they are moving slowly then you know that they are currently passive. At this time they currently provide greater safety from reapers because they still agro on them due to the history they've had with the reaper levithans who have continued to steal their young.

Would lag really be a problem? These biomes don't really have much in them that I haven't seen any lag tbh. The only biome I have experienced lag is the mushroom forest. But even that isn't too bad. Although depends on how far I am in game. After a while of playing going back into a game results in significant lag for like the first 10 mins of playing.

I was going to keep the creature from being able to be put in the Alien Contaiment unit, firstly because it would be interesting for PDA to explain that it does't know how to manipulate the DNA and also so the Developers don't have to spend the whole time making this feature. It could be added later but is not essential

Later on I wouldn't mind if they include potential equipment that the eggs could be used for. I was thinking that they could be used to make an ultra suit that soaks up a lot of damage from enemy attacks. But requires a lot of the eggs to make, maybe between 10-15. And also requires sulpur and kyronite. As I think we need strong items which can only be created from resources that are extremely hard to get.
    Anyone else? I thought this was a good idea lol
    I like the reply here, and I think I have a better picture of what you're going for. Maybe make it so carapace bits could be found and scanned (or some other part of this creature) so the player would get a PDA entry about the behavior of the creature before getting killed in a couple, swift hits? Just a suggestion of course, it's your amazing thought child after all :smiley:
  • x0Z3ro0xx0Z3ro0x Join Date: 2017-01-25 Member: 227214Members
    Its a great idea, and NO it wouldn't cause lag. Telling him it will cause lag is the same as telling people, "If the devs add a sandstone chunk it will lag us all". They can add it the same way they add anything else that causes no lag.
    I like the reply here, and I think I have a better picture of what you're going for. Maybe make it so carapace bits could be found and scanned (or some other part of this creature) so the player would get a PDA entry about the behavior of the creature before getting killed in a couple, swift hits? Just a suggestion of course, it's your amazing thought child after all :smiley:

I like that addition I think it can work like stalker teeth but when they actually fight the reapers. During this time chunks of their shell can be seen coming off. This makes it easier to attack but the shell regenerates at rapid speed so you have to be quick.

I mean it is easy to scan you just have to do it at the correct time so don't think that needs to be a feature. I mean the carapace can be scanned and contain information that you have said but this creature will be just as easy to scan as the reaper and Sea Dragon is. So if it was currently aggroing then you can use the status rifle to scan it
    x0Z3ro0x wrote: »
    Its a great idea, and NO it wouldn't cause lag. Telling him it will cause lag is the same as telling people, "If the devs add a sandstone chunk it will lag us all". They can add it the same way they add anything else that causes no lag.
    x0Z3ro0x wrote: »

Thank you and yeh just adding the creature won't be a cause of lag if the developers create it in the same vain as everything else.
  • EternalGolemEternalGolem Join Date: 2016-11-04 Member: 223650Members
    Something like this?
    IpRozdb.jpg
    You can use the photo as you wish
    Something like this?
    IpRozdb.jpg
    You can use the photo as you wish

Yes 100% like that. Developers get on this asap haha. Also you are an amazing drawer.

I think a different colour scheme could be given to them as well. Sandy colour in the dunes to blend in. Maybe has some outcrops on the shell in the mountains and is much darker in colour. Then around the Aurora it could be very visible rather than blending into the biome because the aurora got rid of the biome it was apart of and so now it's camaflage won't work.
    kingdoo10 wrote: »
    Yes 100% like that. Developers get on this asap haha. Also you are an amazing drawer.

Thanks! I just did a basic crab color scheme
    Thanks! I just did a basic crab color scheme[/quote]

Sure, that was just me adding a bit more detail to it haha
    That drawing is awesome! I really like the direction this is going in. This is really similar to what I had pictured this would look like. I wonder if the inactive lava biome (with all of its caves and climable surfaces) would also be a good nesting ground for smaller, non reaper protected juviniles? Just curious as to what people think about that.
    In regards to my statement about lag, and to mollify the concerns listed in this quote:
    "Its a great idea, and NO it wouldn't cause lag. Telling him it will cause lag is the same as telling people, "If the devs add a sandstone chunk it will lag us all". They can add it the same way they add anything else that causes no lag."
    I was mentioning that having each of this creature's eggs have a separate PDA identity may potentially cause some performance concerns if the creatures layed enough so that players stockpiled them, as unlike other creatures, who all have identical eggs, this one would have unique ones. That being said, since there is no way for the player to breed these amazing creatures, and because the eggs are so insanely hard to acquire, I doubt that would be a concern.
    That drawing is awesome! I really like the direction this is going in. This is really similar to what I had pictured this would look like. I wonder if the inactive lava biome (with all of its caves and climable surfaces) would also be a good nesting ground for smaller, non reaper protected juviniles? Just curious as to what people think about that.
    In regards to my statement about lag, and to mollify the concerns listed in this quote:
    "Its a great idea, and NO it wouldn't cause lag. Telling him it will cause lag is the same as telling people, "If the devs add a sandstone chunk it will lag us all". They can add it the same way they add anything else that causes no lag."
    I was mentioning that having each of this creature's eggs have a separate PDA identity may potentially cause some performance concerns if the creatures layed enough so that players stockpiled them, as unlike other creatures, who all have identical eggs, this one would have unique ones. That being said, since there is no way for the player to breed these amazing creatures, and because the eggs are so insanely hard to acquire, I doubt that would be a concern.

The eggs wouldn't but the creature itself would have a slightly different PDA entry based on the age of the one you scan. But like again this might be a too advanced feature in which it doesn't need to be included. But I feel like it would be nice to do so.

Like same thing could be added for Sea Traders and Reefbacks scan a small one you find out it is a baby only 2 years old scan a large one you find out they are ove 100 years old.

edited February 2017
    I almost want to see a thread about easy scanning of creature age, much like how you can see the % of plant growth.
    But in regards to this creature, I think this definitely has solid grounds to be looked into by the devs (if they become interested). Maybe pick your favorite couple of features and put them here though in case they want to implement this creature as a more simple coding project? I know I would find adding all of these coding features to be a really large coding project, especially with all of the intricate interspecies behavior and elaborate nesting (but perhaps that's why I'm not a dev lol). BTW I have no knowledge of the actual specifics of coding in regards to gaming, so if anyone wants to correct me on this feel free to do so.
    edited February 2017
    I don't know where to post that so I will do that here. 10 features.

1 It is a crab/scorpion/lobster type creater that varies from 40-100 meters
    2 they have eggs that they guard which changes their aggressive nature from defensive or passive
    3 their biggest rivals have been the reaper levithans ever since the carar bacteria was distributed on the planet, and now food is sparse that the reapers have had to adapt by being very territorial in the Mountains, Crashsite and dunes. Their nature now brings them to have to capture the eggs in order to survive.
    4 on scanning the egg you will get a PDA entry explaining that you cannot use them in the alien containment unit, and can be used in crafting very strong materials, potential for better armour or upgrades for the Cyclops, Seamoth and Prawn suit. ""unfortuantely this creature cannot be put in the alien contaiment unit because although this habitat looks to replicate alien lifeforms, and is often able to make creatures fit the size of the containment, this creature will unfortuntely continue to grow overtime due to a unique hormone that is currently detectable but beyond the manipulation of current knowledge, further research required?"
    5 on scanning the creature you will get the info above about the relatonship with the reapers, it's attack and nature. Nature will be passive or defensive... extreme threat when protecting their young. The data entry will also tell you the age of the specific one you scan and also explains that these creatures will continouly grow until they are at least 5 metres bigger than their parent.
    6 This is just a feature I would like, but maybe having them gender neutral, kinda like snails (I might be wrong) but at least an animal that is both sexes and so can reproduce on it's own.
    7 I haven't talked about it's cry, I feel like it should have a sadness to it's cry, developed because it and it's young are always in danger from reapers. But it is sad and kinda cute making players empthasise with it more.
    8 I guess it's attack, has stingers on it's claws that paralyse reapers and I guess warpers who get close. It's attack causes immediate death on the player even if they are using the reinforced suit because it's sting is extremely poisonous and their is nothing on the planet that is able to combat it, It however, only attacks the player if it is in breeding season and even then if there is a reaper levithan about it is more aggressive towards the reaper than it is to the player.
    9 it will have 3 different colour schemes to blend in with said environments, I guess black/dark brown in the mountains, possibly covered in outcrops or other rock formations. Dunes will be sandy coloured and around the aurora I have no idea, maybe it could be a random colour which was used to camouflage it.
    10 will be a ground based creature that can crawl up the sides of the mountains or dunes.
    About the colors:
    74sHMS0.jpg

About the behavior: This is what I think
    LN1Ei61.jpg
  • EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    kingdoo10 wrote: »
    We need more types of creatures that are defensive. I particularly think it would be a good idea if in the mountains, dunes and deep areas of the Aurora there was a defensive carnivore. They have a hatching season whereby they lay 2 or 3 eggs in some of the caves on the mountains, and find/create nests within the Dunes and Aurora. The creature itself can grow up to 100metres in length as the PDA would suggest, but typical size tends to be between 40-80metres. Their eggs would be the largest in game, apart from the Sea Emperors and if they implement them the sea dragons (although this depends upon the parent). They would also vary in size depending upon the size of the parent. These are the main source of food for the Reaper Leviathans within the areas. The reapers, are limited in numbers due to the massive wipe out of the carar, and whilst before they would relocate to other biomes to feed this just isn't possible due to the lack of food within these biomes. As such they have had to adapt in order to stalk and steal the eggs off of this creature (this could be a possible explanation for them being very teritorial and marking homes within the dune, mountain and aurora biomes), I want to say it can be a massive crab like creature, because it can crawl against the mountain sides and in the dunes can walk along the ground. I would however say that it can also swim, especially if it sees a reaper coming close by. But genuinely chooses not to and tends to have systematic roaming patterns on the ground.

If they add respawning of creatures, then it can be particularly aggressive towards any reaper that steals their eggs, often resulting in a massive battle which is often won by the crab due to it's versatility and strong armoured shell. It also has a distaste towards the warpers who often choose to warp them away from their eggs in order to stop the spread of the carar which tends to be higher within this creature. The carar is rarely visible other than to it's head, because the shell doesn't contain the cists. They will be unable to be killed by any weapon that is currently available within the game. But reapers will often get the upperhand over the smaller ones.

This creature is very aggressive, but only if a creature like the reaper/Warper aggros it. In general it is a peaceful creature and will only attack the player if they are currently breeding, but only if you get too close to the eggs and of course if you steal an egg itself. If you steal it's egg it starts to chanse you at high speeds and will for a long time and will often result in instant death as during it's aggro it has a 100% hit rate. Same will often go for the reaper levithans and the only way you are genuineky safe to take one of their eggs is if you have seen the reaper eat one of the eggs and is consequently the creature is in a large battle with said reaper. The egg itself, doesn't have any special powers except you can eat it raw and it gives you no penalty to water and is quite a large food source that doesn' go off. Also, you cannot keep any of the eggs in the alien containment unit because the creature has a specific growth hormone, which means it will continue to grow until it is bigger than the parent, due to evolutionary patterns. The PDA will say after scanning the egg , something along the lines of "unfortuantely this creature cannot be put in the alien contaiment unit because although this habitat looks to replicate alien lifeforms, and is often able to make creatures fit the size of the containment, this creature will unfortuntely continue to grow overtime due to a unique hormone that is currently detectable but beyond the manipulation of current knowledge, further research required?" The PDA if you scan this creature will say what I have said above. But will include the age of the one you have scanned, which is different depending upon the one you scanned. Often the smaller ones will be a lot younger compared to the larger ones, often by a couple hundred years or so. The PDA will also explain that the outershell is considered to be stronger than that of diamond. The shell is therefore indestructable by technology that you currently have access to including the top upgrades of the prawn (The easiest way of killing them is by attacking the head, which is extremly difficult to achieve due to it's amazing agility and because it has the ability to hide it's head within it's shell.) The PDA will also explain that the creature is in general a docile creature, it is currently unknown, why it is often parenting alone as DNA suggests a partnership role similar to that of the Reef Backs. Once you find out about the carar, the PDA will either update and explain that since over 130 billion (I want to say it was around that much) that this creature had to become independent in order to survive without enough food and with increased dangers.

There is no such thing as a defensive carnivore. It's pretty much an oxymoron, as every single carnivore, by definition, is required to seek and devour meat, which is an act characterized by offense.

Sharks don't really view people as food, because we look so little like fish, but people still wear chainmail to interact because a curious animal interacts with the world via the mouth, and they have a lot of teeth and no real reason not to chew. And we like keeping all our limbs.

Now, having carnivores that don't regard the player as a valid food source, that could work.

The rest of that idea is just Subnautica fanfic suggested to be added to the base game. Also, I don't think they even have underwater walking working very well, plus it's probably harder to do properly anyway.
    There is no such thing as a defensive carnivore. It's pretty much an oxymoron, as every single carnivore, by definition, is required to seek and devour meat, which is an act characterized by offense.

Sharks don't really view people as food, because we look so little like fish, but people still wear chainmail to interact because a curious animal interacts with the world via the mouth, and they have a lot of teeth and no real reason not to chew. And we like keeping all our limbs.

Now, having carnivores that don't regard the player as a valid food source, that could work.

The rest of that idea is just Subnautica fanfic suggested to be added to the base game. Also, I don't think they even have underwater walking working very well, plus it's probably harder to do properly anyway.[/quote]

We are talking about an alien planet. Also most carnivores don't tend to attack non native species, like you giving the example of the shark, sharks rarely attack people, normally mistake them for a food source, commonly due to surfers . It is only completely passive for a very minute time period in the game. The mechanic was to combat against the reapers.

subnautica fanfic, well yes it is my idea that I would like to be put into the game. In some form, obviously not the whole idea has to be implemented.
    About the colors:
    74sHMS0.jpg

About the behavior: This is what I think
    LN1Ei61.jpg

Amazing literally amazing.

I was thinking around the crash site it could be a unique colour. Made green suggesting the area it is in used to be a kelp forest, or maybe to ilistrate that lilly pads used to be there.

Young yeah could be a neutral bluey colour.

The aggressive metre feature is exactly what I feel it should be. I also like that it can take chunks out of you cyclops. I don't know how to pitch this idea directly to the developer though.