A mini recurring scenario for the nuclear reactor

DemoDailyDemoDaily Pontiac Michigan Join Date: 2017-01-25 Member: 227251Members
edited January 2017 in Ideas and Suggestions
I'm suggesting to make it were the nuclear reactor will go catastrophic. In this event it could explode and destroying the base and or any vehicles in the immediate vicinity. Now this should play out as follows. At any time after the corse of 3 days after a uranium rod that has been used up/consumed inside the reactor you will be given a brief warning of said event by CPU and a 5 minute timer will commence. Now that shouldn't be too hard to implement sense a timer has already been included within the game story and that should be plenty of time to return to said reactor to resolve the problem. If for some reason it does BLOW all that should remain will be a debris field of Salvage and glass. I would go as far as saying not to get close to the reactor in this state without a radiation suit and also if it does blow you shouldn't be around the area for three days unless you have a radiation suit if that's even possible. Since I'm talking about the radiation suit you shouldn't be able to handle uranium rods without wearing that first. I think this idea gives the radiation suit repurpose. But i leave that for you to decide. Any ways...When you do make it to your reactor that's about to blow there should be flashing yellow lights all over the place and alarms going off maybe even some shaking. that would really creep out the player. And To stop this all you need to do is remove the used uranium rod. This is just too a give a extra thing to worry about while playing the game. All and all this game is absolutely amazing keep up the good work can't wait for the next update. P.s the reactor needs to be more animated just not as cool to look at as the bio reactor.

Comments

• lilheartlesslilheartless United States Join Date: 2017-01-26 Member: 227257Members
    edited January 2017
    I don't mean to be a nae-sayer but this seems super tedious rather than a fun/engaging experience for the player.

Oh ur all excited to explore this new wreck, better stop doing what u wanted to do and go back and put a new rod in ur reactor....

oh ur trying to catch dinner? better stop that even though ur starving to go plug in a new rod.

oh trying to get a new base set up well better stop that and plug in a new rod.

As a matter of fact i can't think of any situation it would be fun to have this happen except maybe if i was already in the base thats about to explode and it starts flashing all these hazard lights and you need to run to your reactor and fix it....

I think the biggest issue with this idea though is it will push people away from using these reactors... there is already an efficiency loss by having generators that u need to interact with and this will just make nuclear that much less desirable.
  • Nautical_NickNautical_Nick Australia Join Date: 2016-06-12 Member: 218444Members
    Sorry to be a douch but 1.I suggested this before and 2:
    I don't mean to be a nae-sayer but this seems super tedious rather than a fun/engaging experience for the player.

Oh ur all excited to explore this new wreck, better stop doing what u wanted to do and go back and put a new rod in ur reactor....

oh ur trying to catch dinner? better stop that even though ur starving to go plug in a new rod.

As a matter of fact i can't think of any situation it would be fun to have this happen except maybe if i was already in the base thats about to explode and it starts flashing all these hazard lights and you need to run to your reactor and fix it....

I think the biggest issue with this idea though is it will push people away from using these reactors... there is already an efficiency loss by having generators that u need to interact with and this will just make nuclear that much less desirable.

• EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    Sorry to be a douch but 1.I suggested this before and 2:

You're not being anything but truthful. Any idea that forces a player to scurry back to their base for basic maintenance is bad, and anything that penalizes them by destroying their stuff is worse.

The go-to is just to put a bunch of thermal gens around the nearest vent and transmit the power back. And the way bases only drain from one generator at a time is janky anyway.

I do agree that the nuclear reactor would look nice with some animation and/or glowy bits, though.
  • almisamialmisami Join Date: 2017-01-22 Member: 227094Members
    I'm not sure what kind of nuclear reactor only uses 1 Lubricant and no salt, fluoride or water, but I'm pretty sure future non-quantum nuclear reactors are designed to have supercritical temperatures below meltdown point.
    I mean modern-day MSRs can do it.