Advice on how to deal with warper jumpscares?

wooaawooaa The deep blue Join Date: 2017-01-24 Member: 227206Members
I do not like the warpers. When I can see them, I can avoid them like any other hostile mob. However, there have been several instances of a warper spawning right on top of me out of nowhere. Needless to say, i have gathered a lot of reclaimed water. Has anyone else has this problem, or am i just super unlucky?

Comments

• RequiemfangRequiemfang Join Date: 2015-02-22 Member: 201492Members
    Unlucky. I've had no problems with these guys, but then again I always carry my stasis rifle with me in case one of them decides to teleport me from my seamoth or prawn suit.
  • ResolutionBlazeResolutionBlaze The Dunes Join Date: 2016-04-06 Member: 215392Members
    They should impliment purposeful jumpscare mechanics to them.
  • MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    wooaa wrote: »
    I do not like the warpers. When I can see them, I can avoid them like any other hostile mob. However, there have been several instances of a warper spawning right on top of me out of nowhere. Needless to say, i have gathered a lot of reclaimed water. Has anyone else has this problem, or am i just super unlucky?

That's what warpers do. In fact if you study them you'll see they spawn and despawn in set, regular patterns.

• lucashc90lucashc90 Brazil Join Date: 2017-01-05 Member: 226176Members
    Also, if you manage to run over them with the seamoth ou punch them with the exosuit, they go away.
    I think they die and teleport away because of either lack of death animation or...
    the devs planned them to go back to the factory to repair themselves

• TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    They should impliment purposeful jumpscare mechanics to them.

Imagine looking out of the base window to see a Warper briefly staring at you before vanishing. That'd put me on edge for sure...aren't they supposed to be stalking the survivor due to their infection anyway?
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    purposeful jumpscare mechanic

That's a contradiction in terms if ever I saw one. The jumpscare has exactly ONE effective use, after it's shot it's load it becomes completely impotent. And that initial scare is far more effective if it's completely unplanned.
    I think an actual jumpscare mechanic would become extremely irritating, exasperating and cringe worthy very fast, like it has in hundreds of games before.

OP's description is perfect. Organic scares that arise completely naturally. Perfect.
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    edited January 2017
    purposeful jumpscare mechanic

That's a contradiction in terms if ever I saw one. The jumpscare has exactly ONE effective use, after it's shot it's load it becomes completely impotent. And that initial scare is far more effective if it's completely unplanned.
    I think an actual jumpscare mechanic would become extremely irritating, exasperating and cringe worthy very fast, like it has in hundreds of games before.

OP's description is perfect. Organic scares that arise completely naturally. Perfect.

Crabsnakes are annoying as hell for this reason.
    I rarely go into the Jelly Shroom caves because the damn crabsnakes screaming at me like I just used the wrong gender pronouns.
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
  • Raging_direRaging_dire U.S. Join Date: 2017-01-25 Member: 227222Members
    Honestly I pick a fight with everything in subnautica and it's the warpers that are the one creature that always xscapes me I've been trying to kill one of those suckers for a while cuz I wanted to scan it without it warping away they're the one hostile spawn that doesn't seem to like coming close to me I have not been teleported out of a vehicle and every time they've always warped away
  • Raging_direRaging_dire U.S. Join Date: 2017-01-25 Member: 227222Members
    I've also been having a warper warp onto the island that's supposed to have a gun but in my game it doesn't have the gun for some reason and it warps on the island falls back into the water and then I wait for a while and it will work back on the island and the process starts over
  • Kyman201Kyman201 Washington State Join Date: 2016-01-23 Member: 211880Members

Shit, do I make a Markiplier Joke or a Pewdiepie joke? JackSepticEye?

Generic Let's Player Joke?
  • lucashc90lucashc90 Brazil Join Date: 2017-01-05 Member: 226176Members
    edited January 2017

Not if they do it right. Example: is 4% chance of a warper closeup scream once you activate the external camera of your cyclops in certain biomes, 2% chance of being stalked by a warper while inside your underwater base, 6% chance a warper will teleport right next to you while you are swimming at night. This kind of stuff, so it wouldn't be overused and completely random, with some encounters so rare that some player wouldn't even have one of that kind in a short gameplay.
    This would be easy to control also, as warpers can vanish at will.

I rarely go into the Jelly Shroom caves because the damn crabsnakes screaming at me like I just used the wrong gender pronouns.

I died, LOL.
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    edited January 2017
    lucashc90 wrote: »

Not if they do it right. Example: is 4% chance of a warper closeup

No. As I said, 2 times is 1 time too many.
    This kind of stuff, so it wouldn't be overused and completely random

1. If it happens more than once, it's overused.
    2. If it's scripted, it isn't random.
    The jumpscare has exactly ONE effective use, after it's shot it's load it becomes completely impotent.

Even a 4% chance means having a forced, scripted, UNSCARY, unoriginal jumpscare happening over and over again. Once is okay, but even then only on the first time you play.

I really can't express this strongly enough, I disagree with it so much.

Two jumpscares is too many jumpscares.

1st time. Whoa! Okay, hah, nice one developers, you got me.
    2nd. Oh, okay, thanks... you nearly got me that time, but I've seen this already.
    3rd. Okay, now you're just annoying. You're arbitrarily dragging me out of any immersion with a deja vu jump scare. Go away.
    4th. Annoyed.
    5th. Angry.
    6th. I want a refund.

The Alien: Isolation approach is the way to go, and Subnautica's pretty similar as it is. Warpers appear naturally. You turn around and "Holy crap there's a Stalker on my tail" or "Reaper in my face!" Nice, organic fear created by natural feeling AI systems. No removal from the game, no breaking of immersion, and most importantly of all, no loud, obnoxious violins, à la Outlast.

This natural way of creating fear is arguably the most appealing thing about Subnautica (aka Underwater; Isolation)!
  • LordPotatoTheXXXVIIILordPotatoTheXXXVIII Wasilla, AK Join Date: 2017-01-03 Member: 226007Members

Not if they do it right. Example: is 4% chance of a warper closeup

No. As I said, 2 times is 1 time too many.
    This kind of stuff, so it wouldn't be overused and completely random

1. If it happens more than once, it's overused.
    2. If it's scripted, it isn't random.
    The jumpscare has exactly ONE effective use, after it's shot it's load it becomes completely impotent.

Even a 4% chance means having a forced, scripted, UNSCARY, unoriginal jumpscare happening over and over again. Once is okay, but even then only on the first time you play.

I really can't express this strongly enough, I disagree with it so much.

Two jumpscares is too many jumpscares.

1st time. Whoa! Okay, hah, nice one developers, you got me.
    2nd. Oh, okay, thanks... you nearly got me that time, but I've seen this already.
    3rd. Okay, now you're just annoying. You're arbitrarily dragging me out of any immersion with a deja vu jump scare. Go away.
    4th. Annoyed.
    5th. Angry.
    6th. I want a refund.

The Alien: Isolation approach is the way to go, and Subnautica's pretty similar as it is. Warpers appear naturally. You turn around and "Holy crap there's a Stalker on my tail" or "Reaper in my face!" Nice, organic fear created by natural feeling AI systems. No removal from the game, no breaking of immersion, and most importantly of all, no loud, obnoxious violins, à la Outlast.

This natural way of creating fear is arguably the most appealing thing about Subnautica (aka Underwater; Isolation)!

I disagree, the idea of a jumpscare can be implemented in the same way as the reaper, in that the first time you fill your pants and after that you run, spooked as ever at being suddenly thrust into danger. The thing with reapers is it's kill/bite animation is somewhat like a jumpscare, in that your booking it in the opposite direction and he catches you and roars in your face. His "jumpscare" doesn't get old because it's his combat intro. This can be implemented in warpers in that they teleport behind you and make a rush to hit you with a special animation if they do, in the same way as reapers. Save for being a lot more sudden and leaving you a bit more on edge. And any of it getting old can be balanced with them being EXEPTONALLY rare, to the point of it being a known event, but not poof, warper, lets go through the drill.
    edited January 2017
    Are you talking about how the Reaper grabs your Seamoth?

Because that's incredibly old, and verges on being obnoxious. It's frequency needs to be turned down about 75%. You can see the exact same animation as he grabs you and drags you multiple times in one encounter, and you're not scared... your just along for the ride, you know it's going to let go and you know exactly the outcome of the encounter because it's all happened before.
    What would be far more scary, is if it didn't have that animation all the time. If it just rammed or bit and caused damage, without any animation. You still wouldn't know if it was right behind you, to your left (though you'd be pushed to the right so you could work it out) but you'd know it was damaging you. An unseen monster is far more scary than anything else. Once you see it, half the fear is gone. This is really basic horror stuff. The other half is then removed by the animation, which removes you from the game and any immersion you had. The monster is not scary any more, it's just a game mechanic for you to work around.

I really don't know if it has an animation when it kills you outside the Seamoth, because I can't remember one killing me since I first played almost a year ago. If there is a death animation, I don't know about it.

I can respect your opinion, but I cannot agree. It's such a fundamental thing.

If anything you've proven my point completely.
    The thing with reapers is it's kill/bite animation is somewhat like a jumpscare, in that your booking it in the opposite direction and he catches you and roars in your face. His "jumpscare" doesn't get old because it's his combat intro.

I'm a little bit confused. I don't know of any "combat intro" animation other than him grabbing the Seamoth. If that is indeed what you mean, it really does get old.
    to the point of it being a known event, but not poof, warper, lets go through the drill.

That's exactly how I feel about the Reaper, "poof, Reaper, let's go through the drill".

Either way, animation/jumpscare or not, you'll always get to a point where you're going through the drill. It's about how to extend the lifespan of the fear, make a monster/enemy in a game as scary as possible for as long as possible. Jumpscares are the quickest way to kill the fear and replace it with frustration. That's why everybody (generally) hates them.
  • OjakokkoOjakokko Finland Join Date: 2017-01-20 Member: 226999Members
    Dude you think a warper spawning above is bad? When I was exploring the ILZ for the 1st time some fireballs were hitting he top of my cyclops when I got back to it after scanning some fauna. I did not know where they came from and looked up. The sea dragon was meters away from me and approaching me quickly with it's mout open.

I nearly broke my mouse.

But after fleeing with my cyclops I started chasing it by swimming and scanned it (without a stasis rifle). When I succeeded it apparently got upset since it had failed to kill me, since when I was inside my Cyclops reading the data entry it started throwing the cyclops around so forcefully I literally flew (or should I say, glitched) through the window. It was because the sea dragon had used my cyclops to commit a suicide.