Fatigue System for the Abyss

JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
So, World of Warcraft (yes, I talk about it a lot but I think it's worth talking about) has a system where if you venture to far out to sea, whether by swimming, striding on water Jesus-style with a Shaman or DK, or by flying, you'll eventually cross the dreaded fatigue barrier. If you don't know what the fatigue barrier is, it's if you go too far out to sea, or anywhere you aren't meant to go, then you'll have about a minute to turn back before the bar reaches zero and you start loosing health. Really badly loosing health.

They even have this in some Call of Duty games (Black Ops 3 and World at War off the top of my head). If you run outside the map boundaries then you have five seconds to turn back or you die.

I think Subnautica would really benefit from having something like this. Sure, stuff the abyss with Reefbacks and Reapers too, but more for the aesthetic. A fatigue boundary where if you pass it you start to loose health would really help with those pesky survivors who just want to sail off-world.

Comments

• 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    Why is sailing off world a problem that needs to be fixed?
  • JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members

New players might think there's something out there, and some people might not stop for a very long time searching. It's a way of telling people that there is nothing out there and there's no reason to look.

It just avoids those people complaining that "I thought there was something out there, so I went for fifty hours and missed my uncle's wedding to find there was nothing there!". It's a definitive answer for new players.
  • Kyman201Kyman201 Washington State Join Date: 2016-01-23 Member: 211880Members
    Jamezorg wrote: »
    It just avoids those people complaining that "I thought there was something out there, so I went for fifty hours and missed my uncle's wedding to find there was nothing there!". It's a definitive answer for new players.

Okay if you ignore the signals and the everything and just go out in the direction that NOTHING interesting is in and waste 50 hours of your playthrough, whose fault is that?
  • JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    Kyman201 wrote: »
    Jamezorg wrote: »

Okay if you ignore the signals and the everything and just go out in the direction that NOTHING interesting is in and waste 50 hours of your playthrough, whose fault is that?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members

I've changed my mind about this topic several times, and I actually like the fact you're able to explore the cliff down to your depth limit. I've found that hovering right at the max depth limit, staring out into the abyss with lights off, is weirdly relaxing... Sort of like those sensory deprivation spas.