How to play with bots?

remorieremorie Join Date: 2017-01-20 Member: 226991Members
Stupid question for a new player, but how to play against practice bots? Google search says there should be a tab under training but I don't see anything, I want to practice alien commander before playing with peers. Thanks

Comments

• BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    edited January 2017
    remorie wrote: »
    Stupid question for a new player, but how to play against practice bots? Google search says there should be a tab under training but I don't see anything, I want to practice alien commander before playing with peers. Thanks

We removed that feature because the bots were just terrible. We might add it back in in the future if we can improve the bot code. But as it was, it was just a frustrating experience. Marines would insta kill with shotguns, and alien bots were useless. We didn't think it provided a good first impression of our game, so we opted to just remove it.

If you just really really want to play with bots, you can use the following console commands to add them:
    map ns2_[map name]

starts a local server (your machine only) on the specified map.
    cheats 1

enables cheats so you can add bots
    addbot 1 1 com

adds a marine commander bot
    addbot 1 2 com

adds an alien commander bot
    addbots 6 1

adds 6 regular bots to the marine team
    addbots 6 2

adds 6 regular bots to the alien team

I imagine after a few minutes... you'll understand exactly why we removed them. ;)
  • remorieremorie Join Date: 2017-01-20 Member: 226991Members
    I appreciate it. I hate bots in general but I couldn't find any other way to just mess around as alien com to learn how it works before pvp games. Thanks for the fast response
  • .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    You can always ask your peers whether they have anything against a rookie com. I know servers (8bit, shellarious) where people will help you if you let them know beforehand ;]
  • ZdrytchXZdrytchX Australia Join Date: 2016-02-06 Member: 212662Members
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    cheats 1

Not needed.
    addbot

works without cheats enabled
  • ArchieArchie Antarctica Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58028Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter
    ZdrytchX wrote: »
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    cheats 1

Not needed.
    addbot

works without cheats enabled

Just depends how you're hosting a server and or have your configs set up, usually it'll need cheats to use addbot commands, which is fucking annoying if you are trying to do it while people are on the server, sometimes resets the game with sv_cheats (please fix)