Another list of ideas and suggestions mostly for base construction

psiggypsiggy Join Date: 2017-01-18 Member: 226904Members
edited January 2017 in Ideas and Suggestions
Several of these ideas were generated after observing bugs:
-Foundation should have pillars with maximum height. In order to maintain the constant depth of base player have to build one foundation atop other.
-Divide the hull integrity from overall integrity to per/"square meter". That will make bulkheads/reinforcements much more useful. You can build 50 foundations in one place and a base made of glass in other place just make sure they are connected somehow and you will have base integrity significantly greater than zero.
-Limit the amount of power transmitted by one pole/transmitter.
-Nuclear power plant should emit radiation, forcing player to build it in separate place connecting with powerlines/transmitters.
-Solar panels shouldn't start with 50/50 (25/25) power right after construction/sunrise, and shouldn't immediately loose all power after sunset.
-Base needs some kind of energy storage device/room to accumulate excessive power, maybe with a number of energy cells in it. Or modify EC charger to enable EC discharge to energy system of base.
-Enable the minimum angle for construction 45 deg.
-Floating pump and pipe system should behave as floating system unless you anchor them

-dropped resources should disappear after some amount of time or turned back into stones. let's say that they dissolve in water. :)
-seeds should start to grow if dropped on "compatible soil" or otherwise disappear

-base structures might degrade over time, requiring repair
-enable complete deconstruction of base part (inspired by the bug with equipment on reinforced walls which makes impossible to remove equipment/reinforcement and consequently the part of base)

Comments

• 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Nuclear power plants don't emit radiation unless something is very wrong or they are being refueled etc.

A couple of relevant links:

https://xkcd.com/radiation/

https://what-if.xkcd.com/29/
  • BeckysFootSlaveBeckysFootSlave Germany Join Date: 2016-12-27 Member: 225560Members
    Nice ideas!
    Foundations = I don't need them!

But the 45 degree rotation is a must have for me :smiley: would really like to build 8 paths on a multipurpose room! Wow
  • psiggypsiggy Join Date: 2017-01-18 Member: 226904Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    Nuclear power plants don't emit radiation unless something is very wrong or they are being refueled etc.

We have "mini-reactor" which have to be refueled and might be damaged by natural disasters or fauna. I think that may be a good idea to force player to take the risks into consideration.
    It could be "incompatibility list". For example: plants/fish will die in reactor room.
    psiggy wrote: »

We have "mini-reactor" which have to be refueled and might be damaged by natural disasters or fauna. I think that may be a good idea to force player to take the risks into consideration.
    It could be "incompatibility list". For example: plants/fish will die in reactor room.

Is the reactor unshielded?? IIRC it requires lead to create, right? I know at least the reactor rods do.
    edited January 2017

Is the reactor unshielded?? IIRC it requires lead to create, right? I know at least the reactor rods do.

Yes it is. However shielding might be damaged. Rod extraction/installation/production procedure might expose the living to radiation.
    I got another good idea for survival mode - structural degradation. You have to eat/rehydrate and base requires repair over time.
  • CAPSHAWCAPSHAW Nevada Join Date: 2016-09-29 Member: 222692Members

I think this is why you have a lead component for your reactor rod. It may contain the radiation while being stored, and the once it is in a larger container, it can be opened again. In this case the larger one is the reactor.
  • CAPSHAWCAPSHAW Nevada Join Date: 2016-09-29 Member: 222692Members
    I like the idea of the EC room. What about a switch for Power Cell Chargers that allows it to become part of the base power supply? Once you have the moonpool, power cell chargers are almost useless except for the Cyclops.
  • basebuilderbasebuilder Join Date: 2017-01-19 Member: 226969Members
    we should create a command room where you can control all the lights inside and outside your base as well as power bulkhead doors and even draining systems inside the base
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    edited January 2017
    These aren't new rooms just ways I would like the ones one to work.
    Observitory- keep like it is now but I would like if we can have it going up and down also. Making a 360 degrees view of the ocean.
    Scanner room- just make it better. I seen the trello card in it. The ability for it to find wrecks is cool. More upgrades. Upgrades that effect the camera drones etc.
    Some room that the has the grav sphere in it- works like the grab sphere, (and is crafted with a grav sphere) but the room has more space and can pick up bigger things.
    Ability to put windows on the bottom and top of corridors and Kanye multi purpose room. So it can look like we are walking on water. Or so he can have something under us or above us. Like a big tank (made out of base parts or something)
    edited January 2017
    These aren't new rooms just ways I would like the ones one to work.
    Observitory- keep like it is now but I would like if we can have it going up and down also. Making a 360 degrees view of the ocean.
    Scanner room- just make it better. I seen the trello card in it. The ability for it to find wrecks is cool. More upgrades. Upgrades that effect the camera drones etc.
    Some room that the has the grav sphere in it- works like the grab sphere, (and is crafted with a grav sphere) but the room has more space and can pick up bigger things.
    Ability to put windows on the bottom and top of corridors and Kanye multi purpose room. So it can look like we are walking on water. Or so he can have something under us or above us. Like a big tank (made out of base parts or something)

Nice ideas.
    Drones could have upgrade for gathering resources.
    Structures could be more customizeable.
  • smellslikebleachsmellslikebleach Join Date: 2016-12-22 Member: 225337Members
    -Solar panels shouldn't start with 50/50 (25/25) power right after construction/sunrise, and shouldn't immediately loose all power after sunset.

But this is exactly how a solar panel works. It gives you full energy while working and turns off if there isn't any sun. You can check it out if you take a look at a normal solar calculator.

CAPSHAW wrote: »
    I like the idea of the EC room. What about a switch for Power Cell Chargers that allows it to become part of the base power supply? Once you have the moonpool, power cell chargers are almost useless except for the Cyclops.

I've built EC charger aboard cyclops - works fine, it seems to be draining energy from Narnia :D Hope they fix it.

But this is exactly how a solar panel works. It gives you full energy while working and turns off if there isn't any sun. You can check it out if you take a look at a normal solar calculator.

Eh, yes, but most solar calculators also have a battery backup (that doesn't charge when on solar, unfortunately, but they use so little power it lasts years).

There are two cases:
    1. SP has some kind of energy cell built in. In that case after sunset your base should have some energy left.
    2. SP doesn't have any EC built in. That is how it looks like now - after sunset you loose all the energy.
    In both cases the SP should start from 0 after construction gathering power from sun up to it's maximum capacity.
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    I was playing experimental mode today. I build the scanner on surival just to help find sandstone chunks. Saw it could find wrecks and thermal vents. Select wrecks can also find life pod. Very useful for it telling me that my base was like 5 meters away from a lifepod. I totally couldn't see it. Kappa

But yes I find it a bit more useful when you are to lazy to look up wreck locations