Some thoughts about functional living equipment

zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
Some thoughts about the usefulness and looks of the equipment of items that improve the living in Subnautica bases:

The bar table:
Good, but missing proper looking chairs. The existing 3 don't fit the style much.

The vending machine:
Damn ugly and needs graphical polish. Furthermore, instead turning it into a food server to replace the standart fabricator's food menu and expanding it on nutrient bars and complex food menus, it serves endless useless snacks. Useless of course, because otherwise you would drown in non-rotting food. Better alternatives would be:

Option 1 - A storage container to only dispense what you put inside. It dispenses snacks and nutrient bars with a high food value. It doesn't generate food.
Option 2 - A food server to replace the fabrictors food menu. It generates food for resources taking from the player. The food menu is rich and includes not only the standart fish, but recipes like peeper in creevines and jelly or high protein survival nutrient bars.

But if nothing is changed, please at least change the ugly appearance of that device.

The coffee machine:
Almost perfect even without dispensing coffee. Is probably soon getting coffee functions. For a bar we'd need a drink dispenser that can choose different drinks:
Coffee, Water, Beer, Wine, Exotic Bar Drinks, etc. So either we get a second dispenser or turn the outfit of the coffee machine into a general dispenser for drinks with a menu.

Or maybe turn the coffee machine into a hot drink dispenser (coffee, espresso, hot chocolate, etc.) and add a cold drink dispenser (water, coke, scotch, etc.)

The waste bins:
Both are open and always show trash inside, making them ugly and bad to look at. Which is plain stupid. They auto-delete trash which is good. But the graphics should be reworked at least for one trash bin. I don't think we need two ugly looking functional trash bins, but rather one good looking model that can do the job.

Finally with all that we almost have a bar:
Table and chairs, food and drink dispensers, counter, waste bin. And maybe we get a fridge that prevents food from rotting.

Comments

• RequiemfangRequiemfang Join Date: 2015-02-22 Member: 201492Members
    zetachron wrote: »
    The waste bins:
    Both are open and always show trash inside, making them ugly and bad to look at. Which is plain stupid. They auto-delete trash which is good. But the graphics should be reworked at least for one trash bin. I don't think we need two ugly looking functional trash bins, but rather one good looking model that can do the job.

I have to disagree with the last part. The normal trashcan is for normal trash while the biohazard trashcan is designed specifically for spent reactor rods. Spent reactor rods are radioactive which means bad for squish human without radioactive protection.
  • AppalaxisAppalaxis South Africa Join Date: 2017-01-03 Member: 226025Members
    I see some problems with implementation of your ideas..

The vending machine is just that, it vends. Stock in the vendor is not unlimited, nor is it manufactured by the machine. So, who is going to re-supply it with all the goodies? Currently, they only nutrient bars you find is on the Aurora, and they too are limited.

The coffee machine has the same pitfalls. The ability to re-stock it with coffee... I don't see any plantations on this planet. Coke? SCOTCH? As nice as a refreshing soda or bourbon sounds...it's not magically going to appear.
    Option 1 - A storage container to only dispense what you put inside. It dispenses snacks and nutrient bars with a high food value. It doesn't generate food.

Yes, in this regard it might actually be used what it is intended for. Good idea. Using the fabricator to "cook" your food is a bit silly, but necessary in the beginning as you do not have any other options. And I have read that the vending machine has been coded to work now. When it will be working in the game is up to the devs.
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    zetachron wrote: »
    The waste bins:

I have to disagree with the last part. The normal trashcan is for normal trash while the biohazard trashcan is designed specifically for spent reactor rods. Spent reactor rods are radioactive which means bad for squish human without radioactive protection.

And that only means that they would have to put in more work to get 2 good trashcans. I don't object against the functions, but about their graphical counterpart. Just like comparing gravsphere 1.0 to gravsphere 2.0.

And of course functional we are talking about matter disintegration. Disintegrating nuclear waste and and a bottle of water is the same tech if you do molecular disintegration. So why did the devs do double work only halfway instead sparing time and effort and putting that into the redesign of a graphical good looking disintegrator bin?
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Vending machines are temperature controlled, so you could use it to store cooked food for longer periods, to stock up your base (useful if they remove ability to keep live fish in inventory, I guess, but they haven't yet).
  • LordSingulothLordSinguloth Join Date: 2017-01-19 Member: 226955Members
    Perhaps you could stock the vending machine with food matter and it can generate a nutrient bar with the material
    Perhaps you could stock the vending machine with food matter and it can generate a nutrient bar with the material

This would be a good idea, though a vending machine is for junk food. Rather I'd think they'd come up with a completely different build able item. The fabricator works in a sense as a futuristic food processor though I'd be nice if we had an actual food processor machine that allowed you to have various meals.
  • LordSingulothLordSinguloth Join Date: 2017-01-19 Member: 226955Members

This would be a good idea, though a vending machine is for junk food. Rather I'd think they'd come up with a completely different build able item. The fabricator works in a sense as a futuristic food processor though I'd be nice if we had an actual food processor machine that allowed you to have various meals.

And then have it be buildable of two titanium and a copper wire and have that be the only way to make food instead of using the fabricator for it.
    Yeah, could insert ingredients into the machine and it gives you an option of meals from a list.
  • starkaosstarkaos Join Date: 2016-03-31 Member: 215139Members
    On Experimental, Vending Machines currently give an unlimited amount of Snacks which provide +3 Food and -2 Water.

Adding Cuisine into the game would be an interesting feature, but a Vending Machine and Coffee Machine would certainly not provide that. You would need Seared Reaper Leviathan with a Marblemelon glaze and a glass of Lantern Fruit Wine to achieve Cuisine.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Coffee Machine is what, +4 Water? So have a snack and a coffee every time you enter the base and you won't have to eat quite so often. (Put them by the door on your way to the lockers or something.)