I think PRAWN is false (naming)

BeckysFootSlaveBeckysFootSlave Germany Join Date: 2016-12-27 Member: 225560Members
Hello Devs,

While trying to find a translation for the PRAWN suit in German, still banging my head against the wall, I think that PRAWN itself is not the right name that you gave him!

Pressure Re-Active Waterproof Nano = PRAWN

The name sounds like the constructor (Alterra) had developed it especially for underwater missions on the subnautica planet!
(Did they knew they will crash there o_o)
Or to be correct: named for subnautica like planets!

Because Alterra is mostly building phasegates in outer space and also have many mining colonies, I would name it different!
Maybe something like:

Human power amplifying robot unit
Human strength enhancing robot unit

Just examples! Google translator is the biggest sh... since ever

The suit is enhancing the strength of a human, is anatomically shaped like a human (kinda like a mech, avatar) because it does what the human inside is doing and that with ease, and with the different modules it is perfect for building really heavy pieces together to get a phasegate (propulsion) or mining for ore thru the whole planet (drill arm)!
Just the torpedo arm makes IMO absolutely no sense (but it seems that this (only this) has something to do with oceanic planets)
Sorry but still doesn't make any sense to me and is a weapon (doesn't matter if it is vortex or gas), it is a weapon (but that is maybe another thread)

So is, Pressure Re-Active Waterproof Nano = PRAWN, really good?

What do you think? What do the Devs think?

Comments

• AppalaxisAppalaxis South Africa Join Date: 2017-01-03 Member: 226025Members
    Ayup, the story doesn't quite gel right with what we have to deal with on the planet :)

All things considered, the game in itself is an amazing piece of art! Love playing it
  • phantomfinchphantomfinch West Philadelphia , born and raised on the playground is where I spent most of my days. Join Date: 2016-09-06 Member: 222128Members
    It needs to be water proof incase you fall in a space ocean.

Also the PRAWN was going to be used to search for the degasi crew.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited January 2017
    That pressure resistance and waterproofing can also be used in non water environments though, asteroids, high density atmosphere, maybe a corrosive/poisonous atmosphere etc...

The name is quite "watery" though he he he >_>
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    There could be different variations of the suit depending on the environment.

Any and all environments were probably considered when making the suits. Alterra knew that they were venturing to a watery planet, and made a large supply of the same Waterproof suit.

In the which they named the suits (or they were already named) based on their primary functions. Hence Pressure Re-Active Waterproof Nano.
  • FluffersFluffers United States Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204749Members
    Think about the name of the company. "All Terra", terra meaning "land or territory", referring to planets in general. The name of the company is an homage to the fact that they focus on the terraforming and colonization of planets of all terrains. They likely already have hundreds of vastly different vehicles and thousands of different blueprints for all kinds of constructions for a wide variety of different planet types. I find it very easy to believe that they designed the vehicles and structures specifically for the planet you're on.
  • subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members
    Plus, you know, the acronym of Pressure Re-Active Waterproof Nano is PRAWN. HPARU/HSERU just doesn't sound as good (in english, at least. I'm not sure what the acronym would be in german).
    Wasn't the original plan for the Aurora to slingshot around the planet and scan for possible signs of the Degasi? Slingshot maneuvers normally don't involve landings or excursions
  • FluffersFluffers United States Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204749Members
    Appalaxis wrote: »
    Wasn't the original plan for the Aurora to slingshot around the planet and scan for possible signs of the Degasi? Slingshot maneuvers normally don't involve landings or excursions

And what do you think would happen if they found survivors? They'd certainly need equipment and vehicles to go to the planet and gather them all up, and seeing how they could be scattered all around the planet, they'd need to be there for a pretty good while.

Also, I thought that the entire point of the aurora was to land on the planet and terraform it for a ship coming several months later for colonization. Have they changed the lore since then?
    The EXO suit was more fitting to how it looks. It doesn't look like a PRAWN at all..
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Fluffers wrote: »
    Appalaxis wrote: »

And what do you think would happen if they found survivors? They'd certainly need equipment and vehicles to go to the planet and gather them all up, and seeing how they could be scattered all around the planet, they'd need to be there for a pretty good while.

Also, I thought that the entire point of the aurora was to land on the planet and terraform it for a ship coming several months later for colonization. Have they changed the lore since then?

Yes.
  • VesperVesper North, to Alaska! Join Date: 2016-01-21 Member: 211748Members
    edited January 2017
    [quote="Fluffers;

As of now the Aurora's mission was officially to build a new phase gate for Alterra , with a secret secondary mission to search for signs of the Degasi and her crew in that particular system.

As such I imagine that the equipment obviously applicable for underwater exploration/search and rescue was intentional and being found as a matter of course. Inapplicable equipment for the environment is simply metal salvage only suitable for the titanium provided and our PDA is filtering accordingly. Of course this is only my own head canon, so take from that what you may any other fan fiction.

• BeckysFootSlaveBeckysFootSlave Germany Join Date: 2016-12-27 Member: 225560Members
    edited January 2017
    Thank you for your comments!

1. Someone translated it: DruckAusgleichender Wasserfester Nano (DAWN)
    Druckausgleichender = Pressure Re-Active
    Wasserfest = waterproof
    Nano = ha, Nano of course

Doesn't sound really bad: DAWN Anzug (DAWN suit)

2. It is not only the "long" name that suggest that the suit is only made for water planets!
    The name PRAWN itself (which is really funny) says it all!

3. Trying to translate the PRAWN let me remember the fact that Alterra (@Fluffers thank you for "All Terra" bc I didn't had that in mind) is building mostly phasegates and also have mining colonies!
    Aurora is on a 18 month phasegate mission with a full PRAWN deck and a seamoth deck!
    I don't think that Alterra had the oceanic planet in mind (even for searching Degasi) with a PRAWN suit, the seamoth deck makes definitely more sense for that! (even if the PRAWN suit would be really helpful to lift up heavy things to rescue people that are "trapped" somewhere!

3a. Also for translating, two movies got immediately into my mind:
    Aliens = Caterpillar P-5000 Powered Work Loader http://alienanthology.wikia.com/wiki/Caterpillar_P-5000_Powered_Work_Loader
    That one is a bit "slow" but perfect to help doing things that are impossible for human

Camerons Avatar = Mitsubishi MK-6 Amplified Mobility Platform http://james-camerons-avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Amplified_Mobility_Platform
    This is the best example (except that this is military killing all the time machine), but here I got the description with anatomically shaped and strength enhancing!

4. The names I made above was, as I said, just examples! I think someone who is way better than me in English and also namefinding (creative) would find something really cool!

It doesn't have to be long or complicated (like the examples in op)

Maybe:

Mining And Construction - Suit (MAC-Suit) or (MAC Mech-Suit)
    Mining Construction Rescue - Suit (MCR-Suit) or (MCR Mech-Suit)

Ideas and possibilities are endless!

Just think that PRAWN really doesn't fit, it's just funny name!

Oh, and please do not get me wrong!
    I am, in no way, trying to "downrank" one of the best games in the world!!!
    Just wanted to know what others (and the devs) think

I really LOVE this game and enjoy it so much!
  • moronwsubmarinemoronwsubmarine Austin, TX Join Date: 2016-12-16 Member: 225030Members
    Oceans are fairly common in our Solar System. Most icy moons/planets have one - it may be buried under km of ice, but there is one there (detected by how the conductive water affects the local magnetic field). Also, my feeling is that world-spanning oceans may end up common in the universe. So a mining ship planning to build a giant phasegate with local materials is likely to have aquatic equipment aboard.

The ocean and deep space are different enough environments that I doubt you could use similar equipment long-term for both. Astronauts do train in a pool, but not for days/weeks at a time.

And a PRAWN with a mining arm looks to me like a shrimp/prawn, so the name does apply. Like most goofy acronyms, someone probably looked at the EXO suit Mark I right after eating shrimp fried rice and said "That's a prawn....PRAWN....How can I fit an acronym...P...Pressure!...W....Waterproof! Hey Sam, how can I get the rest of this acronym to fit!" etc.
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    edited January 2017
    They could name it

Speedy
    heat
    resistant
    improved
    maritime
    pressuresuit

because ... let's face it ... sea dragons like shrimps as well as prawns ... when they finally get the meat at the inside
  • BeckysFootSlaveBeckysFootSlave Germany Join Date: 2016-12-27 Member: 225560Members
    Sorry but I can turn the PRAWN in any direction looking 5 hours at any degree while using LSD and/or other psychedelic things = it never looks like a PRAWN, never!

All the time it looks like a really enhanced version of the "Honda robot" that can walk stairs!