Yay, I can play again! or: Vesper Returns After a Nine Month Hiatus

VesperVesper North, to Alaska! Join Date: 2016-01-21 Member: 211748Members
So as a belated Christmas present to myself I purchased a new laptop that isn't a decade old and able to run this beautiful game. As the title suggests, I've been unable to play for about nine months and it feels like a brand new experience coming back with the added content and continued tweaking of what was already there. In order to keep everything fresh I've been avoiding the wiki as much as possible in regards to new wreck, fragment, and resource locations. Fortunately my memory of previous locations is rather dim, although I vaguely remembered where the floating island was but duly waited for the radio transmission before questing for it (which was actually a good thing, as the idiotic Second Officer Keens listed due south as apposed to southwest! My only gripe, honestly) . Without further fuss, some of the things I've enjoyed thusly;

Hunger and Thirst: The meters seem better synced with the day/night scale to me. I'm not certain if they've been adjusted or if I'm remembering them less favorably than in the past but as of now they feel about right at a couple of water breaks and at least one decent meal daily.

Air pumps for pipes: As a child I discovered that sealing PVC pipe together and trying to use it as an ad hoc snorkel is bound to fail. As such it always bothered me that bare titanium pipes even worked deeper than a meter down.

Fragments look like fragments: This one actually confounded me at first. I was accustomed to fragments looking like safes and was initially ignoring them (assuming they were salvage or décor) and needed to resort to the before mentioned air pump and pipes to access deeper areas, as I was missing the initial seaglide.

The demise of the Sunbeam: The entire sequence is delightfully bleak and is a wonderful introduction to the Precursors.

Silver scarcity: Yes, I know it seems odd, but I enjoy that a necessary resource is something that needs to be worked for, scrimped, and hoarded. Every piece of silver I've used thus far has been a hand wringing experience and I wouldn't want it any other way. I may not have enough to build everything I want, but I might have enough to get just what I need, to paraphrase the Bard.

I could go on, but moderation in all things. And I'm already a bit tipsy from a few nips of my other Christmas present and as such apologies for any gross errors in grammar and/or spelling.

Comments