Do you think the developers should remove the Deep Grand Reef entrance to the Lost Rive?

Morph_GuyMorph_Guy Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216034Members
So right now there are three entrances to the Lost River, one in the Deep Grand Reef, one in the Blood Kelp Trench, and one in the Northern Blood Kelp Zone. But recently the devs have said they are planning to remove the Deep Grand Reef entrance and turn the Ghost Canyon into a dead end with a skeleton and some other things in it.
Here's what the developer Cory Strader said about this "The LR has 3 entrances. That is too many. And most people I've seen find it going through ghost trees" "the more entrances and exits the more likely players will explore only half of it before running into an exit and leaving" Do you think the Deep Grand to Lost River connection should be removed?

Comments

• peeper_reaperpeeper_reaper Join Date: 2016-11-15 Member: 223881Members
    #save the entrance
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Just put a monster or other environmental difficulty in there if you want to prevent casual use.
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    While I can see the devs point of view, with players finding an exit while exploring and just calling it quits. But the inverse is also true. The more entrances, the more likely a new player is going to stumble upon the Lost River. By getting rid of ways to get in, the more people are going to go to other sources trying to find a way into this amazing biome. Such as the dreaded Subnautica Wiki, and going there is just a spoiler party.

Besides, there is most likely going to be some kind of signal/coordinate for the DGR abandoned base. The Lost River Entrance is right next to it. It's a great starting point for new explorers.
  • FluffersFluffers United States Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204749Members
    First they take away lava zone entrances, now this :(
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    They should leave it as is and connect the entrances after 1.0.
  • ZaichiZaichi Europe Join Date: 2017-01-16 Member: 226846Members
    edited January 2017
    frankly i've never entered lost river through blood kelp entrances, i always go through grand reef. so if i had two cents in, i would rather they remove other two and keep grand reef one. besides, it's how degasi crew got in, with even their last base located there.
  • TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    edited January 2017
    Fluffers wrote: »
    First they take away lava zone entrances, now this :(

For a horrifying moment upon reading the thread title, I thought that they were going to remove the lava zone's deep grand reef entrance. That was the first one I discovered.
  • NerdyEricNerdyEric Join Date: 2016-11-15 Member: 223876Members
    No that entrance is so awesome!
  • Seph64Seph64 Join Date: 2017-01-13 Member: 226658Members
    Yes, lets remove options because people might get discouraged about traveling through there! /s

I haven't found the Blood Kelp entrance yet, I placed a beacon in an area I thought was the entrance, but I got lost (and surrounded by Crabsquids). My next try is to get to the entrance in the Deep Grand Reef.
  • AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
    Third option: The entrance should exist but be so small that you can't get the Cyclops or Seamoth through!!!
  • MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    Why is there no an option for "who cares" or "don't care" in the poll; that'll be my choice, I really couldn't care less if the devs closed one of the three entrances if I am honest.
  • pie1055pie1055 Join Date: 2016-12-05 Member: 224603Members
    I vote no but the devs must have a reason for removing it. Whether their reason or our crying is stronger remains to be seen.
  • HerugrimHerugrim The Poconos Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221402Members
    I'd rather they kept it. It's the only entrance I know and the last abandoned habitat being on the way doesn't hurt either. Feels like a natural progression. I remember back before we could access the biomes people knew the deep grand reef was going to be the transition to the lost river, it was the only reason to go down there.

Do we really need 2 blood kelp entrances? Cut one of those.
  • Morph_GuyMorph_Guy Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216034Members
    edited January 2017
    Update: nfnnuBN.png They havent fully decided weather or not they'll remove it.
  • the_marinerthe_mariner US of A Join Date: 2016-12-29 Member: 225653Members
    Just because some whiny YouTubers with low attention spans who spend most of their time playing COD only go through one entrance doesn't mean the rest should be removed.
  • AppalaxisAppalaxis South Africa Join Date: 2017-01-03 Member: 226025Members
    If the player turns around and exits or does not completely explore the area, it would be to their own disadvantage not due to lack of opportunity.
    Just because some whiny YouTubers with low attention spans who spend most of their time playing COD only go through one entrance doesn't mean the rest should be removed.

The YouTube streamer that got me into SubNautica was Markiplier and Jackspticeye and I do believe they do not play COD.. True, are are somewhat dimwitted when it comes to things that are in their face lol, but they were comical about it at least.
  • the_marinerthe_mariner US of A Join Date: 2016-12-29 Member: 225653Members
    Appalaxis wrote: »
    If the player turns around and exits or does not completely explore the area, it would be to their own disadvantage not due to lack of opportunity.

The YouTube streamer that got me into SubNautica was Markiplier and Jackspticeye and I do believe they do not play COD.. True, are are somewhat dimwitted when it comes to things that are in their face lol, but they were comical about it at least.

Well, yes, Mark and Jack do overlook things (which is sometimes irritating, but I can cope with it). However, Mark and Jack weren't who I was talking about. I'm talking about YouTubers like everynightxRIOT.
    edited January 2017
    I'm talking about YouTubers like everynightxRIOT.

His voice hurts thy ears. How could anyone like him? Well maybe I shouldn't criticize too much seeing as I watch Jacksepticeye and Markiplier...
  • TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    edited January 2017
    Not quite sure what you're talking about, Riot's pretty good at ferreting out secrets in the game. He along with Phaota got me into Subnautica in the first place. Conversely, there's something about Markiplier I can't stand...different strokes for different folks?

I really hope it isn't because of certain Youtubers that entrances are being removed.
  • Crewman87Crewman87 Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224967Members
    I often base in Grand Reef due to the convenience of the location. I like having multiple entrances because it forces me to remember where I am going before I get lost. Point A to Point B is a boring concept. If you want players to explore more, then it should be done by adding certain incentives to continue exploring.
  • Kyman201Kyman201 Washington State Join Date: 2016-01-23 Member: 211880Members
    Admittedly, I first found the Lost River by going to the northwest Blood Kelp Forest, and from there I found the Big Skeleton, and then the Ghost Tree, and past the tree I found the Lava Zone, etc etc.

What I'm saying is that I have yet to find the Deep Grand Reef entrance to the Lost River.
  • 999Antonio3849999Antonio3849 Emperor Aquarium Join Date: 2016-10-23 Member: 223324Members
    Every time I see a youtuber go to the LR its through the DGR entrance so if they did change it so many people will get trolled #savetheDGRenterance
  • Casual_PlayerCasual_Player That...is a really good question Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221875Members
    Morph_Guy wrote: »
    So right now there are three entrances to the Lost River, one in the Deep Grand Reef, one in the Blood Kelp Trench, and one in the Northern Blood Kelp Zone. But recently the devs have said they are planning to remove the Deep Grand Reef entrance and turn the Ghost Canyon into a dead end with a skeleton and some other things in it.
    Here's what the developer Cory Strader said about this "The LR has 3 entrances. That is too many. And most people I've seen find it going through ghost trees" "the more entrances and exits the more likely players will explore only half of it before running into an exit and leaving" Do you think the Deep Grand to Lost River connection should be removed?

If devs wanted a linear game, they shouldn't have made an open world. And also, the Inactive Lava Zone is inacessable unless you have the right tech.
  • Crewman87Crewman87 Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224967Members
    @Kyman201

If you wanted to know the location.
    You can find it by going to the floating island and exploring just below it. Hard for me to say the exact spot but it is around that area.
    My first trip through the Lost River was through the Deep Grand Reef entrance, but on my way out I found my Beacon from my first attempt to get in to the Lost River, I placed it at where I thought the entrance from the Blood Kelp Forest (near the Mountain Isle), I always thought I placed the beacon in the wrong spot, but apparently I just got confused about which direction I was and didn't realize it.

So cool when an entrance you thought wasn't an entrance turns out to be the entrance you intended to go through first.

Lost River is a cool zone, need to explore there some more.
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    The Deep Grand Reef goes into the Lava Zone. If it were to go to the Lost River, too, it'd make other entrances kind of obsolete. Also having both entrances to the Lost River through the Blood Kelp, fits thematically.
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    Just put a monster or other environmental difficulty in there if you want to prevent casual use.

that big open cavern near the Deep Grand Reef entrance is perfect for some kind of giant predator.

Like maybe a Deep Sea version of the Reaper Leviathan: The DEEPER LEVIATHAN
  • subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members

HAH! Seriously though, is that an opening for the Phantom Leviathan I smell...?
  • RequiemfangRequiemfang Join Date: 2015-02-22 Member: 201492Members

That won't happen possibly until post 1.0
  • subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members

That won't happen possibly until post 1.0

I know, I know, I'll just jump at any opportunity for new creatures. Phantom Leviathan, Rock Puncher, Lost River Monster, Giant Worm Biome, etc...