Dear Devs,

DuralootDuraloot Join Date: 2017-01-12 Member: 226612Members
Your game is amazing but i have a few questions,
1.how on earth did the precursors manage to escape the planet if they built a gun that shoots down ships?
2.if they didn't escape where are their ships?
3.if they did escape where did they go?
4.how did the activate the gun if they did escape?
5.why did they leave? they didn't get infected! Did they?
6.what does the infection do?
7.is there more than one gun on the island?
8.if yes cool! if no then could you not escape by flying away on the other side of the island!
9.are the warpers the precursors because the are immune to the virus?
thanks Duraloot!

Comments

• DuralootDuraloot Join Date: 2017-01-12 Member: 226612Members
    put any questions and please awnser them
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited January 2017
    About the whole gun thing. I mean it is their gun, so obviously they have remote control over it using encrypted codes ;) And it probably has ship signal recognition software. I'm more curious about the amount of guns on the planet. I mean one gun can only cover a certain side of the planet, unless it's projectile can maneuver and it can actually scan around the entire planet for incoming ships (satellite relays)
  • JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    Duraloot wrote: »
    1.how on earth did the precursors manage to escape the planet if they built a gun that shoots down ships?
    8.if yes cool! if no then could you not escape by flying away on the other side of the island!
    thanks Duraloot!

I'll answers your questions as best I can :) There'll be spoilers, but I'm guessing you already know everything.

1. They didn't escape; they were wiped out by the Carar bacterium.
    2. I don't think we know yet, and I'm not sure we'll ever really know.
    3. They're all dead ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    4. Activate as in shoot it or start it up? If you mean shoot, it's set to destroy anything that comes or goes. If you mean starting it up, they were having a massive panic when the Carar broke out into the water so they set it up to shoot anything coming and going. Then they died and never got the chance to turn it off.
    5. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    6. It mutates your genetic code. It creates burning green cysts on your body, which itch and hurt after a while. Then after 2 weeks you die... horribly...
    7. No there isn't, there's just one massive one.
    8. It looks like the rocket we're gonna escape on is quite huge, so even if we did try and hide around the other side of the mountain away from the gun we would poke out of the top after a while and get shot down... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    9. The Warpers aren't the Precursors, but they were created by them to kill anything with the bacterium. This was to stem the spread of the infection. Soon you'll be able to find half-constructed Precursors in the Lost River base.

Hope that helped! :)
  • HiSaZuLHiSaZuL N.Y. Join Date: 2016-11-11 Member: 223803Members
    edited January 2017
    A lot of your questions are answered by pda. Some will be flat out shoved in your face *cough* warper *cough* even if you refuse to look at pda, tho not atm but soon. The rest are pure speculation and I doubt devs will answer something as ambiguous as where precursor ships are. One gun covering entire planet is more of a... we assume there are more we just happened to be next to the right one.

Play the game, look for pda and then have fun coming up with your own theories. Since Subnautica is doing well(at least according to steam, we haven't had the official word from UWE on it), it is not out of the realm of possibility that it will be expanded on so spoiling story or making claims that will not pan out is just bad business practice.
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    About the whole gun thing. I mean it is their gun, so obviously they have remote control over it using encrypted codes ;) And it probably has ship signal recognition software. I'm more curious about the amount of guns on the planet. I mean one gun can only cover a certain side of the planet, unless it's projectile can maneuver and it can actually scan around the entire planet for incoming ships (satellite relays)

then that defeats the purpose of quarantine!
  • MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    edited January 2017
    Jamezorg wrote: »
    6. ... which itch and hurt after a while. Then after 2 weeks you die... horribly...

How do you know this, or is it just your take on it? :smile:
  • RequiemfangRequiemfang Join Date: 2015-02-22 Member: 201492Members
    Myrm wrote: »
    6. ... which itch and hurt after a while. Then after 2 weeks you die... horribly...

Probably just his take on it. Dev's have already chimed in on it. It's more of a cosmetic which is applied to the character, that and that Warpers aggro your butt like crazy since it's their job to eliminate any lifeform that's infected.

Probably just his take on it. Dev's have already chimed in on it. It's more of a cosmetic which is applied to the character, that and that Warpers aggro your butt like crazy since it's their job to eliminate any lifeform that's infected.

does it matter??
  • starkaosstarkaos Join Date: 2016-03-31 Member: 215139Members

There is a Data Download on Experimental called Infection Results that states "Estimated incubation time: 2 weeks. Estimated survival chance: 9%." The wiki includes "Estimated time of death: 5 weeks.", but that was not shown when I just looked at it just now on Experimental and there is a few other differences between the Experimental entry and wiki entry. There is also a line that states "You might already be experiencing flu-like symptoms and skin irritation." on the Experimental entry.
    does it matter??

Not at all, I was just curious
    starkaos wrote: »
    There is a Data Download on Experimental called Infection Results that states "Estimated incubation time: 2 weeks. Estimated survival chance: 9%." The wiki includes "Estimated time of death: 5 weeks.", but that was not shown when I just looked at it just now on Experimental and there is a few other differences between the Experimental entry and wiki entry. There is also a line that states "You might already be experiencing flu-like symptoms and skin irritation." on the Experimental entry.

Cool. Thank you.
  • JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members

Huh, didn't know about the Wiki entries. Thanks :)

The Degasi survivors also talked about being itchy in the Jellyshroom caves, which is where I originally got my information about the itchy skin :)
  • EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    Isn't answering those questions the entire point of playing release? If all the info is available now, playing through the game will be just going through the motions, finding out what you already know.
    EvilSmoo wrote: »
    Isn't answering those questions the entire point of playing release? If all the info is available now, playing through the game will be just going through the motions, finding out what you already know.

i agree
  • NimmanuNimmanu NH, USA Join Date: 2017-01-14 Member: 226681Members
    thanks Duraloot!

This is what I understand so far. I'm not a dev, so this is not an official response.

1. All indications say they perished en masse.
    2. There were no ships. They chose not to carry the Carar into the universe to be spread beyond this planet. It was mass suicide to save the universe. Also, it is assumed by their level of technology and the emptiness of the world that they perished either thousands or millions of years ago. Everything except the buildings they deliberately made to last literally forever is gone. Think of Earth 50,000 years from now. Even the plastic, all the skyscrapers, everything except maybe the pyramids would be gone. Even if there had been ships, they would have rusted away into oblivion long ago. Only those things intended to be eternal (like the gun and the self-reproducing warpers & other biological self-reproducing sentinels) remain.
    3. See #2.
    4. See #2.
    5. They were infected, and they were so terrified of the infection spreading, that they made sure that no infected person could turn the gun off--even if it meant extinction of their race.
    6. That's not answered yet. So far, it seems to do nothing, but I have a bad feeling that we'll find out as they continue the storyline. Maybe we'll meet some infected people in advanced stages and find out why extinction was preferable to spreading it.
    7. We are left to assume that there is not. This may change, but currently, the likelihood of another is exceptionally small.
    8. Because there's nowhere to land except the island, and also because you have no rocket. Building one is part of the storyline.
    9. They seem to be biological weapons intent upon preventing the spread of the virus by any future sentient beings who crash-land there. The precursors were extremely terrified of the possibility of the spread of the Carar.
    Nimmanu wrote: »
    thanks Duraloot!

This is what I understand so far. I'm not a dev, so this is not an official response.

1. All indications say they perished en masse.
    2. There were no ships. They chose not to carry the Carar into the universe to be spread beyond this planet. It was mass suicide to save the universe. Also, it is assumed by their level of technology and the emptiness of the world that they perished either thousands or millions of years ago. Everything except the buildings they deliberately made to last literally forever is gone. Think of Earth 50,000 years from now. Even the plastic, all the skyscrapers, everything except maybe the pyramids would be gone. Even if there had been ships, they would have rusted away into oblivion long ago. Only those things intended to be eternal (like the gun and the self-reproducing warpers & other biological self-reproducing sentinels) remain.
    3. See #2.
    4. See #2.
    5. They were infected, and they were so terrified of the infection spreading, that they made sure that no infected person could turn the gun off--even if it meant extinction of their race.
    6. That's not answered yet. So far, it seems to do nothing, but I have a bad feeling that we'll find out as they continue the storyline. Maybe we'll meet some infected people in advanced stages and find out why extinction was preferable to spreading it.
    7. We are left to assume that there is not. This may change, but currently, the likelihood of another is exceptionally small.
    8. Because there's nowhere to land except the island, and also because you have no rocket. Building one is part of the storyline.
    9. They seem to be biological weapons intent upon preventing the spread of the virus by any future sentient beings who crash-land there. The precursors were extremely terrified of the possibility of the spread of the Carar.

thanks!
  • LordPotatoTheXXXVIIILordPotatoTheXXXVIII Wasilla, AK Join Date: 2017-01-03 Member: 226007Members
    Isn't the greatest question of the precoursers that what happens if you land inthe other side of the planet? What happens? Does the gun shoot through the planet? Are there more guns?
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Isn't the greatest question of the precoursers that what happens if you land inthe other side of the planet? What happens? Does the gun shoot through the planet? Are there more guns?

Maybe this:
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    thanks Duraloot!

1. They did, they told their gun not to shoot them.
    2. See above
    3. Space
    4. Remote Control
    5. The experiments were deemed lost when the Sea Dragon broke out of containment and wrecked the place, releasing the virus.
    6. It's explained in one of the Degasi logs, titled "Malady"
    7. No
    8. The gun can extend to fire over the island.
    9. Warpers are cyborgs created by the Precursors

Lrn 2 scan and pick up PDAs scrub
  • AppalaxisAppalaxis South Africa Join Date: 2017-01-03 Member: 226025Members
    Precursors died on the planet (their bodies to be precise). Sub- Consciousness loaded into data banks for preservation. Possibly for knowledge purposes or future "reincarnation". TBC
  • starkaosstarkaos Join Date: 2016-03-31 Member: 215139Members

Most likely there are multiple weapons involved on other sides of the planet. Either the main character is incredibly luck to land near the only gun with a cure nearby or there are multiple Disease Research Facilities, Thermal Plants, and Primary Research Facilities.
  • pie1055pie1055 Join Date: 2016-12-05 Member: 224603Members
    Or the planet is flat.
    pie1055 wrote: »
    Or the planet is flat.

Sarcasm... lol what is this the 1400-1500s still?
    Or the planet is flat.

There are still people out there who are convinced the earth is flat. "Flat Earthers" they call themselves.
  • NimmanuNimmanu NH, USA Join Date: 2017-01-14 Member: 226681Members

Most likely there are multiple weapons involved on other sides of the planet. Either the main character is incredibly luck to land near the only gun with a cure nearby or there are multiple Disease Research Facilities, Thermal Plants, and Primary Research Facilities.

Or they were trying to land on the only landmasses on the planet, which is a reasonable deduction. It is also reasonable to assume that the precursors also landed on and branched out from the only dry land on the planet, too. So it's actually pretty easy to understand.
    thanks to everyone!
    edited January 2017
    Or the planet is flat.

There are still people out there who are convinced the earth is flat. "Flat Earthers" they call themselves.

Most people still believe in various almighty sky daddies as well, humanity still hasn't grown up :tongue:
    Or the planet is flat.

Most people still believe in various almighty sky daddies as well, humanity still hasn't grown up :tongue:

what I find laughable about that is why are we always assuming it's male or female. A god is a god and can be exactly whatever gender they want to be and appear to be as to us lowly squishy mortals.
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    Or the planet is flat.

Let's stop this conversation right here. It will end up in a heap of beliefs we all don't want on this forum.