Help.

SubGamer1233SubGamer1233 Croatia Join Date: 2016-03-21 Member: 214651Members
Hi guys. I've been asking on youtube video comments... But I forgot I can actually ask you guys who know better than them. Is it possible to actually close the Precursor gun? By that I mean to shut down the energy core for good.

If there is the way.... How?

Or it was not updated yet?

If there is a way: Close the gun and get rescued

Comments

• 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Not yet. You will eventually have to cure yourself, then it's easy (as you are no longer infected). You can't cure yourself yet, however.
  • SubGamer1233SubGamer1233 Croatia Join Date: 2016-03-21 Member: 214651Members
    But where is the cure?
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    It's not in the game yet.
  • starkaosstarkaos Join Date: 2016-03-31 Member: 215139Members
    The cure should be in the Disease Research facility which is about 800 meters deep and 1000 meters away from the gun. Currently in Experimental mode, the facility doesn't have any textures. However, it is likely that going to the facility will send you to another facility and maybe another before you can finally be cured.

The Sunbeam explosion might be a fixed event. Watch Sunbeam get destroyed, get cure, disable weapon, and build rocket from Sunbeam parts to leave planet.
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    Yeah, the SUNBEAM is doomed, no matter what we do to try and save it.
    B)
    DaveyNY wrote: »
    B)

Would be interesting to see if some speedrunners could disable the weapon before the Sunbeam arrives without using console commands.
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    edited January 2017
    Are we 100% sure that once all the story is in the game, we wont be able to save the Sunbeam and that could be one possible ending? i have'nt read anywhere that the Sunbeam is doomed no matter what the player tries ....

I mean, saving the sunbeam now would be pointless since we get the message that its coming like 2-3 real time hours after the start of a game, but whose to say that those messages + the ''cutscene of its destruction could'nt possibly arrive wayyyy later in a game nearing its end story-wise and that could be a possible ending, saving the Sunbeam and leaving the planet ....

I'll need to read some more of the story drafts to be 100% sure of this or maybe someone can send a link to more accurate confirmed infos
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    It would strike me as very odd to be able to save the Sunbeam because that would put a consequential timer on the game, something that does not, as of yet, occur anywhere else and that goes against the leisurely vibe of rest of the gameplay. It would force you to timely play a certain way or you'd be unable to get a certain outcome and that would be rather out of place.
  • RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    DrownedOut wrote: »
    It would strike me as very odd to be able to save the Sunbeam because that would put a consequential timer on the game, something that does not, as of yet, occur anywhere else and that goes against the leisurely vibe of rest of the gameplay. It would force you to timely play a certain way or you'd be unable to get a certain outcome and that would be rather out of place.

I think it should be an option and perhaps have an achievement for doing so. I really doubt you'd be able to get it all done as a new player that is trying out the game and doesn't have locations of things memorized by now so it might be an interesting challenge for those who have played through the game a few times. I agree that it should not be forced in any way, shape, or form.

Nice new avvy by the way.

I think that saving the Sunbeam should be a possible ending in the game. So the four options in the game should be save the Sunbeam, not save the Sunbeam, disable the weapon by being cured, and disable the weapon without being cured. The good ending would be saving the Sunbeam and being cured, the normal ending would be not saving the Sunbeam and being cured while the bad ending would be saving the sunbeam and not being cured. Not saving the sunbeam and not being cured is not as bad due to the possibility of being killed by the disease before being found. The main character could drift in space for thousands of years before it is found, be permanently locked away, or shot into a star to dispose of the contamination. Infecting the Sunbeam's crew means that there is a more likely chance of getting to the nearest space station to infect others.
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    Ralij wrote: »

I think it should be an option and perhaps have an achievement for doing so. I really doubt you'd be able to get it all done as a new player that is trying out the game and doesn't have locations of things memorized by now so it might be an interesting challenge for those who have played through the game a few times. I agree that it should not be forced in any way, shape, or form.

Nice new avvy by the way.

Thank you!
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    starkaos wrote: »
    B)

Would be interesting to see if some speedrunners could disable the weapon before the Sunbeam arrives without using console commands.

Speedrunners, breaking games since the dawn of time and we (not devs) love em for it
  • AppalaxisAppalaxis South Africa Join Date: 2017-01-03 Member: 226025Members
    Is the time frame of sequences set in stone or are they likely to change?
  • LordPotatoTheXXXVIIILordPotatoTheXXXVIII Wasilla, AK Join Date: 2017-01-03 Member: 226007Members
    I think the saving the sunbeam should be a possibility, not a requirement. On a normal game you watch in horror as it gets blown to pieces and leave in the option as a secret achievement/speed run challenge.

You shouldn't just ALWAYS have to sit through a countdown to murder.

Just usually ; )
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    B)

Speedrunners, breaking games since the dawn of time and we (not devs) love em for it

Personally, I prefer Speedrunners that don't use map glitches to beat the game. For example, doing the original Mario game on the NES in under 5 minutes or completing Fallout 1 or 2 by beating the game at Level 1 or 2.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    B)

Personally, I prefer Speedrunners that don't use map glitches to beat the game. For example, doing the original Mario game on the NES in under 5 minutes or completing Fallout 1 or 2 by beating the game at Level 1 or 2.

Yeah for example bunny hopping through Half-Life is neat and looks amazing. But they also use that insane speed to get to places, which aren't clipped off to skip parts of the levels...

The first bit I love, the second bit not so much :o