Base Location

FastFreemanFastFreeman Join Date: 2016-11-20 Member: 224106Members
I can't find a suitable base location! Does anyone know a location that is strategically found that just places it in a good resourceful area?

Comments

• Captn_MikroCaptn_Mikro Michigan Join Date: 2016-10-22 Member: 223287Members
    90m North west of life pod on a ridge and south east 100m hanging on a steep ridge into the depths
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    The most strategical location always is near the starting position as the starting position is always near the center of the map. Center of the map = easiest access to rest of the map. Only thing you will want to keep in mind is to not build dead center in the Safe Shallows because you can't park the Cyclops there (unless you're fine parking the Cyclops some way from your base).

My personal favorite (first) spot is a slope towards the Kelp Forest that's just North of a grotto entrance to the Jelly Shroom Caves. It's also north of a miniature wreck on a slope extending from the Safe Shallows to the Grassy Plateaus if that helps orientation. The slope itself is bordered by a miniature arch rock formation with table coral to the South and an extending tip with coral tube to the North. This location benefits travel to the South-West side of the map.
  • KisuKisu Germany Join Date: 2016-08-08 Member: 221099Members
    The grassy plateau southwest, nearest to the floater island is my favourite. :)
    From there I have easy access to kelp forest, sparse reef, grand reef, sea trader path, jelly shroom caves and the southern crash zone - every ressource I need is all around me.
    AND you have giant gentle reefbacks around you and a lot of space to build a big base.
  • TheChefTheChef Michigan Join Date: 2016-12-23 Member: 225388Members

My personal favorite (first) spot is a slope towards the Kelp Forest that's just North of a grotto entrance to the Jelly Shroom Caves. It's also north of a miniature wreck on a slope extending from the Safe Shallows to the Grassy Plateaus if that helps orientation. The slope itself is bordered by a miniature arch rock formation with table coral to the South and an extending tip with coral tube to the North. This location benefits travel to the South-West side of the map. [/quote]

I second this location. Easy access to the kelp forest, grassy plateaus, safe shallows, AND an abundance of resources. You're close to a wreck that spawns salvage, a giant coral tube with 15+ respawning limestone (for copper and lead), and there's a decent amount of quartz nearby for all your solar power and glass needs - currently I have 16-20 panels (I'm working on getting 4 filtration machines up and running 24/7) and about 12 wall lockers, alien containment, and about 8 windows so far. Point is, lots of quartz. And batteries. Gotta have batteries :)

Did I mention that silver spawns on the floor/caves of the kelp forest?
  • GRAW2ROBZGRAW2ROBZ Join Date: 2016-12-23 Member: 225373Members
    I have one base near the shallow area next to escape pod. Then I got another base over by them rock pillar formations. Kinda dangerous over there though. Then a tiny outpost near the aurora with just a locker and solar panel.
  • CristofCristof Join Date: 2016-11-10 Member: 223778Members
    I'm also struggling to find the 'perfect' spot for a base. I'm a huge fan of the safe shallows for the obvious reasons but that stung when I kept nearly beaching my cyclops trying to get home around the shallower areas. Theres gotta be some sweet spot thats shallow enough for solar panels, near a vent for potential thermal energy (I hear its not great, but still havent tried yet yet), centrally located for minimal travel times, able to get a cyclops reasonably close, and preferably without leviathans or warpers at the door... Maybe I'm just too picky.

I don't know the map as well as some others here, so I'm still holding onto hope. I just keep restarting every patch and trying a new base in a new location every time. One of the many beauties of this game is the exploration and finding ways to build new and better bases to progress.
  • CAPSHAWCAPSHAW Nevada Join Date: 2016-09-29 Member: 222692Members
    I like to build real close to the Aurora once I have a moon pool. This is where the Reapers spawn, but its nice and flat, and hangs over the mushroom biome, so you can have super deep fish tanks or moon pools and easy cyclops parking. Its pretty close to that safe shallows-like area over on the southern area of the Aurora's left side. Lithium is everywhere, scrap metal is abundant, and little chest fill up every time I respawn.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    edited January 2017
    Cristof wrote: »
    I'm also struggling to find the 'perfect' spot for a base. I'm a huge fan of the safe shallows for the obvious reasons but that stung when I kept nearly beaching my cyclops trying to get home around the shallower areas. Theres gotta be some sweet spot thats shallow enough for solar panels, near a vent for potential thermal energy (I hear its not great, but still havent tried yet yet), centrally located for minimal travel times, able to get a cyclops reasonably close, and preferably without leviathans or warpers at the door... Maybe I'm just too picky.

I don't know the map as well as some others here, so I'm still holding onto hope. I just keep restarting every patch and trying a new base in a new location every time. One of the many beauties of this game is the exploration and finding ways to build new and better bases to progress.

There is. Swim around the perimeter of the safe shallows with a few beacons in your inventory and drop them when you see something promising (usually near a cliff that has safe shallows on one side, grassy plateau on the other, and kelp forest within sight).
    Thanks for the tip! I've kind of already started that, Leaving beacons at the heating vents. I still don't have the thermal power thing yet, Just went poking around the grand reef and found 1 but it's hard to explore without a moonpool to add depth to the seamoth's range.
    I seem to have trouble finding moonpool and cyclops fragments, I'm never sure if it's me just not looking in the right spots or glitches in the game where they stop spawning until restart.
    Either way, constant exploration is the answer!
    Cristof wrote: »
    Thanks for the tip! I've kind of already started that, Leaving beacons at the heating vents. I still don't have the thermal power thing yet, Just went poking around the grand reef and found 1 but it's hard to explore without a moonpool to add depth to the seamoth's range.
    I seem to have trouble finding moonpool and cyclops fragments, I'm never sure if it's me just not looking in the right spots or glitches in the game where they stop spawning until restart.
    Either way, constant exploration is the answer!

When you go to the Aurora, check the upgrade console ports in the Seamoth room, as well as in the Drive Room, and check on the floor beside the upgrade console ports in the PRAWN room. 3 items you don't want to miss.
    edited January 2017
    I've been to the aurora a few times... I've found the prawn suit, repaired the radiation leak, I've found a pressure upgrade but I think I need the vehicle modification which goes in the moonpool. I do recall one console that said something about corruption detected in my PDA and it was fixing it, but I never noticed what that actually did. I'll venture back and take a better look.

Thanks for the help! :smiley:

Edit: To keep this a bit more on topic, I really like the ideas of building bases around the aurora but the leviathans scare me 'every' time. And I think I heard that in future patches critters can want to attack your base directly. So, yeah. Terrifying. O.o

The most dangerous area I've built bases in yet is the floating islands. Bone sharks aren't fun, but easily avoidable enough. But leviathans? Nope. Nope... And nope.
    Maybe build off of the shallow sand dunes near the Aurora. Not sure Leviathans wanna get stuck. Sand sharks can go there though. But if you got a PRAWN suit you can punch a sand shark in the face.
    TheChef wrote: »
    My personal favorite (first) spot is a slope towards the Kelp Forest that's just North of a grotto entrance to the Jelly Shroom Caves. It's also north of a miniature wreck on a slope extending from the Safe Shallows to the Grassy Plateaus if that helps orientation. The slope itself is bordered by a miniature arch rock formation with table coral to the South and an extending tip with coral tube to the North. This location benefits travel to the South-West side of the map.

I second this location. Easy access to the kelp forest, grassy plateaus, safe shallows, AND an abundance of resources. You're close to a wreck that spawns salvage, a giant coral tube with 15+ respawning limestone (for copper and lead), and there's a decent amount of quartz nearby for all your solar power and glass needs - currently I have 16-20 panels (I'm working on getting 4 filtration machines up and running 24/7) and about 12 wall lockers, alien containment, and about 8 windows so far. Point is, lots of quartz. And batteries. Gotta have batteries :)

Did I mention that silver spawns on the floor/caves of the kelp forest?[/quote]

Fun fact, I just discovered to the left of the slope near the small wreck is a cave that goes way down (200+ meters, jellyshroom caves I think?) and it houses the Cyclops engine fragments and outcrops that give lithium and gold.
    edited January 2017
    Just started a base in the mushroom forest near the Aurora. Easy access to the crash zone, koosh zone, and the kelp forest. Only downside is that it's too deep for solar panels (right now I'm working on about a dozen bioreactors each with an indoor grow bed with Marblemelons). Will keep you posted on how well this location works

Edit: this location works VERY well. I discovered a cave at the edge of the kelp forest that has ~10 sandstone and ~10 limestone. No predators, and plenty of space to build. Close to salvage, and more lithium than you can shake a stick at. Coordinates are: 668, -162, 350
    Its maybe best to start out small with a couple tiny outposts with solar so it has H2O inside. Have maybe like 5 of these scattered all over. Maybe a locker to store stuff in side. Then once ya get bored then build a huge base.
    GRAW2ROBZ wrote: »
    Its maybe best to start out small with a couple tiny outposts with solar so it has H2O O2 inside. Have maybe like 5 of these scattered all over. Maybe a locker to store stuff in side. Then once ya get bored then build a huge base.

FTFY