Mods?

LuitjensLuitjens Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73034Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
Devs: Will we be able to mod the game using unity and to what extent? Just top-layer scripts? models? physics? engine? terrain?

Users: What kind of mods do you want to see? Based on speculations so far...

I would want multiple models for some of the various models in the game... or other mods that add that bit of dynamic in the way it changes everytime you play a new game.

Also, charlie kelp in the works already.

Comments

• DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    most folk would go for ui mods I assume, especially in a exploration game.
  • SteveRockSteveRock Join Date: 2012-10-01 Member: 161215Members, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    We are not thinking about mods at all right now, but we'd like to hear what people want to mod!
  • shriikeshriike Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184461Members
    I don't think anyone can really say what they would want to mod because of the limited information about the game. I can think of a realism mod though, similar to Fallout:NV. Having to find water and food? Does that make sense in this game?
  • LuitjensLuitjens Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73034Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Food and drink would be nice, or some type of hardcore element (oxygen) as well. I like the system shock way of researching how things work, usually by researching organs.. Maybe a way to catalog the environment could be cool in receiving bonuses/upgrades to be able to search further down.
  • LumpNLumpN Join Date: 2002-10-30 Member: 1725Members, Subnautica Developer
    What I really would like to see is the ability to create new creature behaviors. Or even completely new creatures (model, anim, behavior, sound). As early as possible.

Imagine something like the steam workshop for this game. It would be awesome to be able to clone an existing creature and script a custom behavior to it. You would be suprised what the community can come up with. I'm thinking of shoaling, mate seeking, curious, timid, hunter/prey, foraging, defensive, aggressive, flanking, floating, playful, migration, nocturnal, symbiotic, seeking, thievish, etc. behaviors. And that is just for starters!

The world would be full of fantastic creatures that really bring it to life and make it higly attractive to explore and interact with. You would essentially be crowd sourcing Lebensgeist! (German word for liveliness, agility/vitality, spirit, the thing that the almighty himself breathes into his creations. Hard to translate. Charlie will love this, I'm sure)

A scripting language and a comparatively simple API to launch queries about the surroundings (terrain, collision, creatures, plants, materials) is all that's needed. Isn't there scripting support already built in in Unity? The guys at OpenTTD did a great job at providing an API and the resulting mods are totally awesome!

Basically it would be awesome to have all the gameplay and UI coded in moddable script, like it is in NS2. I mean, come on, you've got the perfect sandbox game that just waits to become modded into a Schleichfahrt total conversion or Subculture remake! The community can and will do this, if you provide the tech, graphics and assets. This is a market not to be underestimated (think Half-Life sales after Counter-Strike)!

If you don't provide an overarching storyline, the community will. Missions? Encounters? Quests? Achievements? Consider it done! As long as you provide the basic building blocks anything that you don't have the time for can be created by the community.
  • zbott105zbott105 Join Date: 2017-01-02 Member: 225902Members
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
  • bradgillapbradgillap Welland, Ontario Canada Join Date: 2017-01-03 Member: 225992Members
    Like to be able to add new assets for base building. New rooms and attachments. Mundane objects. Make it dead simple through workshop but still provide the option for larger mods where steam creates artificial file size limitations. Something like nexus.