Will all my Subnautica acievements be a waste of time?

virtualdannyvirtualdanny Join Date: 2016-12-31 Member: 225806Members
Hello!

First of all, LOVE the game and concept - one of the best EAG games I'we played from Steam.

I still wonder if all the time I invest in gathering resources and building up my bases will be a waste of time.
  • What's the risk of all my game data being deleted or irrelevant after some updates or when the game is final?
  • Or is it any chance all my existing progress & work can be transferred to new updates?

I still continue to make feedback trough my gameplay in hope to help improve the game and to see the developers progress to a final and stable game version.
Keep up the great work!

Comments

• RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    edited December 2016
    hello there fellow player!

While there is a way to fiddle with your savegame files to keep your saves thru updates, it is recommended to start a new save after every major game updates (monthly usually). The game generally offers you the option to ''Upgrade'' your save to the new content but that has been reported glitchy by alot of players, specially when new terrain gets added or when old terrain gets changed. I know it suxx but keep in mind that this game is still in Early Access so content changing alot and stability/performance issues are to be expected, specially thru saves between major updates ....

There is however a way to keep all your stuff AND beneficiate from new updates as described HERE by IGP, but that requires you to temper a bit with your savegame files. If you feel confident enough to mess with that, you can do it :smiley:

• EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    Delete your saves. Be free.

There is a perfectly functional console that can create all the items and subs, plus nocost+fastbuild will let you build the base of your dreams, without pain.
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    Oh yeah all 3 of those achievements
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    edited December 2016
    Since the game's still being updated regularly, you should prepare to restart with each update 'just in case'. You can upgrade saves though, and use the cache-clearing trick to fill in whatyever the upgrade missed, but sometimes things can still go wrong. The in-game updater / upgrade function sometimes misses new content, like when the ruined Lifepods were added.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Rezca wrote: »
    Since the game's still being updated regularly, you should prepare to restart with each update 'just in case'. You can upgrade saves though, and use the cache-clearing trick to fill in whatyever the upgrade missed, but sometimes things can still go wrong. The in-game updater / upgrade function sometimes misses new content, like when the ruined Lifepods were added.

@SnowballSniper Since you're handing out disagrees, can I get one?
  • subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »

Ooh, ooh, me too!
    not actually pls
  • SnowballSniperSnowballSniper Join Date: 2016-12-02 Member: 224443Members

._.
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    @0x6A7232 i'd happily give you mine if i could :wink:
  • RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    Kinda... I've just learned to live with it. All part of the early release cycle. I can't tell you how many worlds, towns, and heros I've lost in the Folk Tale early access. Starbound got toasted updating. Such is life. I think it is worth it to be able to give feedback to a game in progress though, especially on games where the devs are responsive and are active in the community.
  • starkaosstarkaos Join Date: 2016-03-31 Member: 215139Members
    A possible action of "saving your progress" is taking screenshots of your various bases. That way you can replicate your favorite bases on the final build of the game. Of course, some existing bases might not be possible to replicate due to the devs considering the removal of terraforming. Remove Terraforming is on the Subnautica Roadmap for the next major update that should arrive at the end of the month.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    starkaos wrote: »
    A possible action of "saving your progress" is taking screenshots of your various bases. That way you can replicate your favorite bases on the final build of the game. Of course, some existing bases might not be possible to replicate due to the devs considering the removal of terraforming. Remove Terraforming is on the Subnautica Roadmap for the next major update that should arrive at the end of the month.

If you want to fix that, move your base out of terrain now. (like build it so that the platforms actually have to use their little legs). Hopefully that will prevent issues when they remove terraforming. Hopefully.
  • starkaosstarkaos Join Date: 2016-03-31 Member: 215139Members
    starkaos wrote: »

If you want to fix that, move your base out of terrain now. (like build it so that the platforms actually have to use their little legs). Hopefully that will prevent issues when they remove terraforming. Hopefully.

I was thinking more of when players intentionally used terraforming on their base like having part of the base inside a mountain or underground or building spires in the middle of their base.