New Creature Idea: Behemouth!

cloudsodacloudsoda Los Angeles Join Date: 2016-12-10 Member: 224769Members
I was doodling a new creature idea that I think would be cool to have. Unlike the other fauna in the game, though, due to its size there would probably be one or maybe two.

Behold, the Behemouth!

TM3oVlO.jpg

So in order to incorporate it into the game and make it interesting for a variety of players, here's how I imagine the Behemouth:
Sort of like the Stalker, it ingests sharp, hard materials. Specifically crystals, diamonds, etc. As it matures into adulthood, it lines its massive mouth with more and more minerals. They not only entice animals to swim closer (due to the brilliance), they also aid in digestion. Behemouths are akin to whales in that they gulp down lots of water, and whatever is caught is quickly crushed and cut up by the crystals.

There is also an escape pod currently caught in its mouth. Whether or not the inhabitant escaped is currently unknown. But this will entice story-driven players to come explore it. Resource-driven players will also be attracted, too: should you take the risk of being swallowed whole and gather up as much material as you can?

I was kind of thinking that maybe the Behemouth could have some sort of special mineral in its mouth that only grows there, as like an extra incentive to get you to swim into its mouth. :B But overall I like the idea of this thing!

Comments

• OttiusOttius Join Date: 2016-12-26 Member: 225530Members
    Do we really need more huge scary things underwater? :x
  • cloudsodacloudsoda Los Angeles Join Date: 2016-12-10 Member: 224769Members
    Ottius wrote: »
    Do we really need more huge scary things underwater? :x

Yes. :D
  • EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    There's enough trouble with REAPERS swimming into terrain, and now you want this thing?

Could work as a denizen of the void, though. Something capable of nomming a Cyclops once you get too far from the map. But I think the current technique UWE uses of just not putting anything out there works just fine at keeping the player inside the map, without having to make it into a kill zone.
    EvilSmoo wrote: »
    There's enough trouble with REAPERS swimming into terrain, and now you want this thing?

Could work as a denizen of the void, though. Something capable of nomming a Cyclops once you get too far from the map. But I think the current technique UWE uses of just not putting anything out there works just fine at keeping the player inside the map, without having to make it into a kill zone.

XD I wasn't really planning on having it swim around on the bottom of the ocean floor. Actually, if anything, the best biomes it would be suited for (size-wise) would be the Dunes and the Sparse Reef. Especially since it would be like a treasure trove in a virtual desert.
  • smellslikebleachsmellslikebleach Join Date: 2016-12-22 Member: 225337Members
    Maybe this huge creature is also a small biome? A bit like the Worm Biome in the other thread.
    This thing looks to me like a huge whale - so let's make a book of jonah out of it...
  • SnowballSniperSnowballSniper Join Date: 2016-12-02 Member: 224443Members
    edited December 2016
    cloudsoda wrote: »
    I was doodling a new creature idea that I think would be cool to have. Unlike the other fauna in the game, though, due to its size there would probably be one or maybe two.

Behold, the Behemouth!

TM3oVlO.jpg

So in order to incorporate it into the game and make it interesting for a variety of players, here's how I imagine the Behemouth:
    Sort of like the Stalker, it ingests sharp, hard materials. Specifically crystals, diamonds, etc. As it matures into adulthood, it lines its massive mouth with more and more minerals. They not only entice animals to swim closer (due to the brilliance), they also aid in digestion. Behemouths are akin to whales in that they gulp down lots of water, and whatever is caught is quickly crushed and cut up by the crystals.

There is also an escape pod currently caught in its mouth. Whether or not the inhabitant escaped is currently unknown. But this will entice story-driven players to come explore it. Resource-driven players will also be attracted, too: should you take the risk of being swallowed whole and gather up as much material as you can?

I was kind of thinking that maybe the Behemouth could have some sort of special mineral in its mouth that only grows there, as like an extra incentive to get you to swim into its mouth. :B But overall I like the idea of this thing!

I get the feeling that you learned the word behemoth recently off another game.

Just guessing.
  • JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    Have these under the under islands.
  • BeckysFootSlaveBeckysFootSlave Germany Join Date: 2016-12-27 Member: 225560Members
    I just wanted to let you know that:

Leviathan = seamonster
    Behemoth = landmonster

Just read the wiki of leviathan and got also that information!
    There is also a zir (forgot the name) as airmonster!
    But it's not Behemouth not Behemoth ;)
    So it's something with a big muzzle...
  • DominantReverseDominantReverse North Yorkshire, UK Join Date: 2016-12-29 Member: 225698Members
    I like :smiley:

It looks kinda like another version of the Sea Emperor - a giant, harmless beast that feeds off of microorganisms.
    I think an interesting idea is that if it swallows you, you don't immediately die. Make it's PDA data say it has no stomach, and instead utilises crystals and minerals such as quartz and diamonds to slowly grind through food inside a long tube that enzymes go into. That way, if you got swallowed in something like a Seamoth, you could wait until it opens its mouth again and sail out, all the while you're inside you constantly take small amounts of damage
    I just wanted to let you know that:

Leviathan = seamonster
    Behemoth = landmonster

Just read the wiki of leviathan and got also that information!
    There is also a zir (forgot the name) as airmonster!
    But the PDA says a Leviathan-class organism is aggressive, and so it would not fit. Plus Behemouth is a good pun along the lines of Membrain

Just guessing.

Wow, that... was a little rude. XD
    Actually, I was just going along with the naming scheme of some of the creatures in-game. Since a few of them have Biblical/mythological names (ex. leviathan, cyclops) names, I thought "behemoth' would fit nicely.
  • SnowballSniperSnowballSniper Join Date: 2016-12-02 Member: 224443Members
    cloudsoda wrote: »

Just guessing.

Wow, that... was a little rude. XD
    Actually, I was just going along with the naming scheme of some of the creatures in-game. Since a few of them have Biblical/mythological names (ex. leviathan, cyclops) names, I thought "behemoth' would fit nicely.

Not trying to be rude. Recently a lot of people over the internet are useing the word behemoth.
  • LeechSoupDotYumLeechSoupDotYum Join Date: 2016-02-24 Member: 213378Members
    This is a cool design because it's scary, but not necessarily deadly.
  • yungmewyungmew United States, California Join Date: 2016-12-24 Member: 225432Members
    What drawing program is that :O
    yungmew wrote: »

Looks like Photoshop with a drawing tablet.
  • wowwinkwowwink Merica Join Date: 2016-12-05 Member: 224596Members
    I love that drawing I todaly think glowing mouth would happon
    yungmew wrote: »

Looks like Photoshop with a drawing tablet.

Yeap! I'm using Photoshop CS 6 and a Wacom tablet.

Glad you guys like it. :D It started out as just a little doodle.