Seabase Blues

BlatherscribeBlatherscribe Join Date: 2016-12-21 Member: 225275Members
Greetings,

I'm new to Subnautica, trying to build a seabase, and having a devil of a time. What appears on my screen never looks anything like examples I've found online.

To begin with, I just want to build a multipurpose room and connect a moonpool to it. But even this seems impossible! For starters, the seabase rooms do not come with legs, as shown in many many examples online. I can only seem to build them either INSIDE the terrain, or on a foundation. Foundations are hideously ugly, but OK, I'll try that. I put down a couple of foundation squares, build a multipurpose room... and cannot get the moonpool to connect. It also refuses to build itself at a functional height, even with foundation plates under it. It likes to hover just above the seafloor -- no legs, no connections, just hovering. I won't call it floating, because there's no sign that this is supposed to be actual buoyancy.

So what am I missing? Is there a special blueprint I need in order to get legs on my seabase?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• ComicalSkateComicalSkate Canada, ON Join Date: 2015-05-28 Member: 204993Members
    I can summarize this in a few words: Building is a little broken right now.

It will be fixed eventually, it is just not high priority.

I totally agree with you with the foundations, so ugly! I have a few tips and tricks to help you out:
    1. When you are starting a base start with a foundation in the area you want it.
    2. Place a tube on the foundation.
    3. Place another tube or room that is off the tube on the foundation but is completely off the foundation.
    4. Delete the foundation and the tube on it.
    5. Now you have a starting point to build your base off of. The legs should be there as long as you are close enough to the ground and now you can keep building, and the legs will be there for the most part if you stay close enough to the ground (but you don't have to be too close, I would say you can be a good tubes height up from the ground and still see the legs.

Just remember that the base building is still really weird so legs may just not appear or disappear randomly and other weird things. Luckily a lot of base building issues will be addressed when they are removing the terraforming system, since then most base building needs to be reworked because currently it really requires terrain deformation. If you are wondering why they are removing all terraforming and making the terrain static then all you need to know is they don't want to but its the only way to fix a bunch of performance issues and they have kept trying but they can't get the performance they need with the terraforming voxel terrain in game.
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    Build a corridor piece on the seabed.
    Build another one on top of that.
    Connect the multipurpose room to the upper corridor.
    Now the room as legs.
    Remove the corridors again.

Using a corridor as the first module of your base also helps with defining the orientation of your base, which defines how ladders and the moonpool will face.
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    What ComicalSkate said. In all honesty, this is a bad time to give SN a first go because the game is in a transitional period. Several plans are halfway into completion and things that worked a while ago don't anymore.

To make the progress visible:
    • Terraforming will eventually be removed completely and then you won't have that option to build inside the terrain anymore. Terrain also won't be deleted when you build on/near it.
    • Foundations won't be necessary anymore in the future. Not sure even if they'll remain in the game.
    • Base legs used to spawn just fine before the December update. Now they only do so within a certain distance to the ground. I hope this will be fixed next update, but I wouldn't be surprised if it takes two or three.
    • Not sure what you mean with not getting the moonpool to connect? If it's about being unable to rotate it, that's never been possible other than changing your own angle. It's a highly requested update.
  • BlatherscribeBlatherscribe Join Date: 2016-12-21 Member: 225275Members
    Thanks! I'll try those suggestions. I get that this is not a finished product yet, so no complaints when there are bugs. I signed up for early access, after all.

Regarding the moonpool, it may connect to the base once I try these suggestions for base-building. At present, though, if I build a multipurpose room, I can't get the moonpool to connect to it. By which I mean, I can't position the moonpool in such a way that a connection between the two rooms appears, or even in such a way that they are both at the same level.

Actually, come to think of it, I can't connect a corridor to a multipurpose room, either. It's all very strange. The corridor will only appear parallel to one of the sides of the multipurpose room, not perpendicular (and thus able to connect to it). I'll try again today, though.

If it doesn't work, how long do you think it will be before they fix seabase construction? I'm willing to wait a while if need be.
    Thanks! I'll try those suggestions. I get that this is not a finished product yet, so no complaints when there are bugs. I signed up for early access, after all.

Regarding the moonpool, it may connect to the base once I try these suggestions for base-building. At present, though, if I build a multipurpose room, I can't get the moonpool to connect to it. By which I mean, I can't position the moonpool in such a way that a connection between the two rooms appears, or even in such a way that they are both at the same level.

Actually, come to think of it, I can't connect a corridor to a multipurpose room, either. It's all very strange. The corridor will only appear parallel to one of the sides of the multipurpose room, not perpendicular (and thus able to connect to it). I'll try again today, though.

If it doesn't work, how long do you think it will be before they fix seabase construction? I'm willing to wait a while if need be.

You use the scroll wheel for rotation. Works for corridors, not for moonpools. Coincidentally, ever since last update you can also rotate solar panels and lights and the like that way.
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    Moonpool is somewhat iffy to connect. For one, it's so huge, you can barely see where it appears. For two, you have to look at the point on your base where you want the moonpool to connect. I found it the easiest to float above the base and look somewhat downward to build the moonpool where I want it.

You will find a similar positioning issue with the scanner room, but at least you can rotate that one.
    This thing is going to drive me completely mad, you know. Admittedly, I was more than halfway there already....

I was able to build a simple base of two rooms and a moonpool. And then I discovered that either the guide I found online is wrong, or someone reversed the launch direction, so my Seamoth kept launching directly at the rest of my base. And thus far, I can only get two orientations -- one "inward" toward the rest of the base, and one perpendicular to the direction I want (which would mean launching into a little cave, and also going bang on the seafloor).

Also, is there any way to get a placement grid for things like solar panels? I've always been picky about getting things properly centered.
    I really don't get the logic of this. If I "weaken" my seabase, it springs leaks and floods. This makes sense 20,000 leagues down... but so near the surface that I could stand on the roof and breathe easy, I can't install glass corridors, windows, or an entrance hatch without massive flooding?

Is this habitat builder transmuting all my titanium into aluminum foil??

At least I got a moonpool I can live with, so that's something. :)
    By the way, this is all I wanted. I would LOVE to build this:

latest?cb=20160827182402

How do I get the moonpool that way 'round?

Also, sorry for the comment/question spam. I'm intrigued by this game, and frustrated when it gets obstreperous. :)
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    By the way, this is all I wanted. I would LOVE to build this:

latest?cb=20160827182402

How do I get the moonpool that way 'round?

Also, sorry for the comment/question spam. I'm intrigued by this game, and frustrated when it gets obstreperous. :)

Honestly, you can do that. You just have to be really lucky when you pull up the Moonpool. I've had the it turn like that once, but it took twenty minutes of trial-and-error.
    OK, I'll try more tomorrow. Could you give me a hint as to how you accomplished this feat? Did you build the moonpool first, or the things it connects to? Were you facing a particular direction? Maybe I need to find a different location, where one of the two directions I seem able to get would work....

BTW, thanks, all, for the help and advice. :)
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    OK, I'll try more tomorrow. Could you give me a hint as to how you accomplished this feat? Did you build the moonpool first, or the things it connects to? Were you facing a particular direction? Maybe I need to find a different location, where one of the two directions I seem able to get would work....

BTW, thanks, all, for the help and advice. :)

Moonpool last. What I did was go perpendicular with the Corridor, and with a little faith, trust, and Sandshark dust, it snapped into place. And always remember...

p9lk4c249384.png
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    I really don't get the logic of this. If I "weaken" my seabase, it springs leaks and floods. This makes sense 20,000 leagues down... but so near the surface that I could stand on the roof and breathe easy, I can't install glass corridors, windows, or an entrance hatch without massive flooding?

At least I got a moonpool I can live with, so that's something. :)

731b850eb2f3ab0dd1448bf826d29417.jpg

http://www.kylesconverter.com/pressure/feet-of-water-to-pounds-per-square-inch

http://www.kylesconverter.com/pressure/centimeters-of-water-to-kilopascals
    I understand water pressure. I don't understand a SEABASE made of TITANIUM collapsing under the "pressure" of less than two meters of water. That's not enough to collapse a plastic water bottle filled with air. Not even one of the "environmentally friendly" ones made of extra-thin plastic.

The problem is that seabase construction follows one set of rules, regardless of depth. So if I build in such shallow water that bits of the base are sticking out into the air, it collapses just as readily as it does if I build in the deepest trench. That doesn't make sense, especially not if you plug the numbers into the converters you provided.

No need to defend the game, btw. I'm not saying something bad about it, just pointing out an issue in the hopes that the devs take note and add it to the list. :)
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    Yeah it does seem a bit odd that at like 10 meters down it can just fall apart, but I guess given enough thought you could find some way of rationalizing it....... But at the end of the day, it's just Game Mechanics ^^
    I guess it wouldn't hurt too much to allow much more freedom when in very shallow waters though.

It does collapse quicker at deep depths though; for every (100m I think it was?) you go down, the strain on the hull for every added piece increases quickly. Building a Multipurpose Room in the Kelp Forest at 40m will take up far less hull strength than the same base would in the ILZ Corridors.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    I understand water pressure. I don't understand a SEABASE made of TITANIUM collapsing under the "pressure" of less than two meters of water. That's not enough to collapse a plastic water bottle filled with air. Not even one of the "environmentally friendly" ones made of extra-thin plastic.

The problem is that seabase construction follows one set of rules, regardless of depth. So if I build in such shallow water that bits of the base are sticking out into the air, it collapses just as readily as it does if I build in the deepest trench. That doesn't make sense, especially not if you plug the numbers into the converters you provided.

No need to defend the game, btw. I'm not saying something bad about it, just pointing out an issue in the hopes that the devs take note and add it to the list. :)

Hmm. Yeah, even though the pressure is immense (you wouldn't be able to open, say a car door unless the pressure has equalized), it's not enough to actually crush anything, heck, humans can dive down to 214m / 702ft (current world record for freediving).

Maybe they need to reduce crush effects in the first 50 m or so? IDK.
    This thing is going to drive me completely mad, you know. Admittedly, I was more than halfway there already....

I was able to build a simple base of two rooms and a moonpool. And then I discovered that either the guide I found online is wrong, or someone reversed the launch direction, so my Seamoth kept launching directly at the rest of my base. And thus far, I can only get two orientations -- one "inward" toward the rest of the base, and one perpendicular to the direction I want (which would mean launching into a little cave, and also going bang on the seafloor).

Also, is there any way to get a placement grid for things like solar panels? I've always been picky about getting things properly centered.

Yeah, that's the thing with the moonpool. It can only face in two directions and any attempt to make it go the other way(s) won't work. There's nothing really you can do about it at this time. The moonpool doesn't rotate like other modules do, something I suspect may have something to do with the fact it is the only module without a center (ie, the sides with two walls).

Nope, no grids. Lots of people have requested some sort of snap-on mechanism. I personally like it freestyle - the patterns help me get it right if I want too.

The hull integrity mechanic is rudimentary. You need reinforcements for a base like that, but you can make an arm without support miles-long as long as you have a reinforcement anywhere in your base. I recommend applying the game's rules with your own sense of logic to make it work. For instance, any tower I make I place reinforcements at the bottom as it needs to support the rest anyway.

For what it's worth, the devs (or at least Cory Strader) do want to get back on this one day and get something more complex set up. That would be for post-V1.0, though, and a relatively low priority.
    I finally managed to get my little Aurora Base built, with a moonpool I can live with:

2gsRM9z.jpg

Not sure why I put a bunch of observatories on top. They may depart soon. Or not; this is meant as a small observation post near the wreck, after all.

Thanks again for helping! :)
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    The base building system in the game currently does indeed need some moar luvin'
    Im sure they'll work on it more before the game releases officially

As for the pressure made on the base its currently pretty bad. I mean, if you build your base on one of the islands and actually manage to drop the integrity to under 0 your base will flood completely, even tho it doesnt touch the water at all :wink: That made me laugh quite a bit