Chasing the countdown !!

ToothlessToothless Uderwater Join Date: 2016-07-10 Member: 220019Members
Like a idiot I race to the pickup spot and try to disable the enemy gun to save my rescuers.....
When I get told I am going nowhere my heart sinks and all I can think of is those poor bastards, I cant even warn them. Kept trying to stop the gun up to last minute.

Comments

• Dysius043Dysius043 United States Join Date: 2016-11-17 Member: 223999Members
    At first i didnt really like how long the countdown is, but I think that this is what the devs wanted. they want you to think you can save the sunbeam. Its actually really cool from a narrative standpoint.
  • gunmetal563gunmetal563 Join Date: 2015-09-30 Member: 208239Members
    ... not sure but quite a bit ago i think their was a discussion about the possibility of multiple endings also i think the idea of a communications relay that only receives broadcasts but can only broadcast a distress signal contestable, when you fix it the communications relay you should be able to broadcast a message short range to warn the Sunbeam if not directly communicate with them directly.

in my opinion you shouldn't be able to fix the communications relay all the way without certain mats or equipment, or be able to get into the communications room in the aurora to rebroadcast a new distress message

ether way i find the scenario is contestable
  • kubazet99kubazet99 Czech Republic Join Date: 2016-08-17 Member: 221450Members
    I know devs dont want make Sunbeam survive,but i want have chance.Whot if can be some sort of secret ending,example you must accomplished all game achivements and after that you have CHANCE disable gun.If devs do secret ending i will be surpised,but they dont give it as too much easy.
  • kubazet99kubazet99 Czech Republic Join Date: 2016-08-17 Member: 221450Members
    ... not sure but quite a bit ago i think their was a discussion about the possibility of multiple endings also i think the idea of a communications relay that only receives broadcasts but can only broadcast a distress signal contestable, when you fix it the communications relay you should be able to broadcast a message short range to warn the Sunbeam if not directly communicate with them directly.

in my opinion you shouldn't be able to fix the communications relay all the way without certain mats or equipment, or be able to get into the communications room in the aurora to rebroadcast a new distress message

ether way i find the scenario is contestable

Ehm i found Aurora Scanner room,it is a wreck on Mushroom tree :(
    aye but other crew mates that survived atmospheric entry were still able to broadcast a message i cant see why your pod can't broadcast a message that can at least reach past the outer orbit
  • starkaosstarkaos Join Date: 2016-03-31 Member: 215139Members
    aye but other crew mates that survived atmospheric entry were still able to broadcast a message i cant see why your pod can't broadcast a message that can at least reach past the outer orbit

Maybe the main character is a mute. Communications Relays might have a 50 km range which would help with communicating with any potential survivors, but not about warning the Sunbeam. Therefore, the only reasonable solution would be repairing the Communication Systems on the Aurora, but that is likely under a ton of wreckage and inaccessible. Another solution would be using the Terraformer in the Safe Shallows to write a message to the Sunbeam, but that depends on the scanning resolution of the Sunbeam which is likely not good enough since it is a six-seater starship.

• 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Terraforming is going away, so that wouldn't work.
  • NerdyEricNerdyEric Join Date: 2016-11-15 Member: 223876Members
    edited December 2016
    starkaos wrote: »

Maybe the main character is a mute.

Seems doubtful and even if he was....texting.

EDIT: Main reason I said doubtful was because A: Advanced medicine and B: There is 0 proof of this and if your proof is that he never speaks doesn't make sense as there is no one to speak to.
  • subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    Terraforming is going away, so that wouldn't work.

Step 1) Kill a reaper
    Step 2) curve its body into an "SOS"
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    You'd need something bigger than a reaper, I mean even the great wall of China ain't so big that it's obvious from space/reentry :D
    Wouldn't a SOS make them come here though. Isn't the point of this entire conversation to warn them about the gun? We could do the cyclops glitch and fire that thing into the sky with its name being "IF YOU COME CLOSER YOU WILL BE SHOT DOWN"
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
  • RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    I think part of the idea with such a long countdown and hearing the incoming messages is so that you are able to have something of a relationship with Sunbeam. We're saved by a crew going out of their way wanting nothing more to help, talking to us when we haven't seen another human being in weeks (and probably going a bit nutty in the mean time) that last line of sanity, being given hope and limited interaction even if the rescuers give nothing in return and then... BANG.

the isolation of it is far worse if you think about it from the characters perspective. I wonder if there is a way to do it more powerfully though, I mean subnautica does it as well as anyone else does, just wonder. Even coming home to an empty house and not leaving for a few days does things to you, what would that really do to a survivor?

Sorry, a bit of random musings, thanks for indulging me.
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    I still stand by my opinion that they should give us the option to somehow warn them and have them turn away. Both parties knowing that doing so means that you'll potentially be stranded there forever, but also knowing that you'll be saving lives - something you couldn't do with the Aurora survivors because apparently you were unconscious for that.

After the big 1.0 I could see this being an achievement: Being able to beat the race against time and send a message to them to turn back, and that approaching the planet isn't safe nets you an achievement, while failing to do so either yields nothing or gives a secondary achievement.

Your character can just type up the message or even have your AI send it. He doesn't need to voice it himself.
  • ADM_NtekADM_Ntek Join Date: 2016-03-18 Member: 214456Members
    curious what if you never fix the relay will the sunbeam still come? or if you don´t go to the landing point.
    If they really want to not let us warn sunbeam AKA plan kill the 6 innocent and fairly nice people on that ship and basically murder them. They could use the fact that the ship is coming down into orbit and suddenly out of nowhere a ton of skyrays including a massive one comes and eats them.
    I'm sorry i wrote this like right after waking up
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    AFAIK right now it's impossible to disable the gun, because it checks to see if you're infected when you hit the button and it won't let someone who's infected deactivate it. It will be interesting to see what happens once we are able to cure ourselves, which seems to be the obvious prerequisite for getting off this rock. Once it's possible to deactivate the gun the question will become "can you pull it off before Sunbeam arrives?" What if you cheat to pull it off? Warp yourself wherever you need to go and give yourself whatever resources you need? If you deactivate the gun before Sunbeam arrives, will she be shot down anyways? Or do you get to be rescued?
    Sidchicken wrote: »
    AFAIK right now it's impossible to disable the gun, because it checks to see if you're infected when you hit the button and it won't let someone who's infected deactivate it. It will be interesting to see what happens once we are able to cure ourselves, which seems to be the obvious prerequisite for getting off this rock. Once it's possible to deactivate the gun the question will become "can you pull it off before Sunbeam arrives?" What if you cheat to pull it off? Warp yourself wherever you need to go and give yourself whatever resources you need? If you deactivate the gun before Sunbeam arrives, will she be shot down anyways? Or do you get to be rescued?

aye that is true however i cant see why you couldn't warn them before they got too close/ within range of the gun as you get the message from the sunbeam too soon so for your character (or a new player with no knowledge) to know about the infection and know where the gun is

however it is known (your character does know) that the Aurora sustained damage within orbit from an unknown device
  • Bolo_NikeBolo_Nike On Top of Da Sea Join Date: 2015-08-06 Member: 206842Members
    considering the level of technology this time has (stasis gun anyone) why not enable the PC to build a radio tower to broadcast the get away signal
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    Bolo_Nike wrote: »
    considering the level of technology this time has (stasis gun anyone) why not enable the PC to build a radio tower to broadcast the get away signal

Or just repair some console in the depths of the Aurora and use that to broadcast a "Hey disregard that distress signal guys, there's something on this planet that doesn't want us here and it brought down a really big starship in the process - so stay away!" message to them. You don't even need to know about the anti-air platform or try to access it to know that there was something on the planet that brought you down.

If there's going to be multiple endings, I could see allowing the Sunbeam to approach contributing to a 'Bad' ending and being able to deter them from approaching contributing to a 'Good' one. However they approach these endings though, there might not be a Good/Bad sort of ending system and it might just boil down to a "Do you want to stay or leave?" sort of decision.

In any case, I'm continuing to advocate for an option - even if it's a real hard to accomplish one - of being able to actually influence the game's events and save lives where you were unable to do so with the Aurora crew. We've got a chance to do so here, it'd be a shame to have it slip by.
  • MichloMichlo Originally Wallasey, UK now Los Angeles, US. Join Date: 2016-09-10 Member: 222215Members
    Wow, consider spoiler tags please, people! The post title itself should have had a warning for those (unlike us) who haven't reached this yet.