Server player size

N@uralBornNoobistN@uralBornNoobist Gorge-N-Freeman,2Gorges1Clog Join Date: 2012-12-24 Member: 176138Members
edited December 2016 in NS2 General Discussion

Comments

• SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Server admins don't decide where people play. I had a 14 player server for a long time. It was never used.
  • N@uralBornNoobistN@uralBornNoobist Gorge-N-Freeman,2Gorges1Clog Join Date: 2012-12-24 Member: 176138Members
    edited December 2016
  • _Grendel__Grendel_ Join Date: 2015-05-07 Member: 204238Members
    If I had no other choice but to play on a 6v6, then I'd uninstall ns2.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited December 2016
    _Grendel_ wrote: »
    If I had no other choice but to play on a 6v6, then I'd uninstall ns2.

I was gonna say, mostly this yeah for players would be my guess of what would happen :o The current players who still play tend to flock to high populous servers, less emphasis on the individual skill levels there, which is scary stuff in some cases :D

I guess, lot's of people would be very reluctant to keep playing. It feels like a dangerous step to take, would the concurrent players be able to take a hit like this if it does happen?
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Ah, we haven't had one of these in a while.

Yeah, restricting players to something they don't inherently want would likely be fatal for the game at this point.
  • AeglosAeglos Join Date: 2010-04-06 Member: 71189Members
    Not to mention the difficulty in this is seeding these servers. You have to hope that the server is quick to fill whenever people leave after a round or it dies very quickly.

You'd be better off joining a gather really. That way you don't have to sit and seed for a game that may never happen. You can do something else while you queue.
  • N@uralBornNoobistN@uralBornNoobist Gorge-N-Freeman,2Gorges1Clog Join Date: 2012-12-24 Member: 176138Members
    edited December 2016
  • RevanCoranaRevanCorana Join Date: 2015-08-14 Member: 207125Members
    They should put ALL servers that are not 8v8 or less into the arcade tab
    edited December 2016
    Either that or make NS2 multithreaded.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited December 2016
    I had the best ns2 6v6 player experience the other night and it was souly due to the extremely high FPS i was getting instead of the usual unplayable affair of the 20+ man server ordeal.

can all the server admins or people who have the power to do so not see sense and standardise the ns2 play experience, for example like csgo does whereby it limits teams to 5v5 or whatever it is.

relying on gathers which hardly ever happen for good fps is a sad affair.

its time to limit servers to 7v7 or 8v8.

Have you ever thought that maybe everyone's pc isn't as bad as yours?

I know NS2 isn't exactly the most optimized game, but that's a different problem. I personally prefer to play 16-24 player servers.
  • WobWob Join Date: 2005-04-08 Member: 47814Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited December 2016
    This guy is a known troll.

He used to troll gathers, stalk players, target and abuse specific people.

Been inactive for about 2 years
    edited December 2016
  • ZdrytchXZdrytchX Australia Join Date: 2016-02-06 Member: 212662Members
    I didn't believe NS2 was actually balanced at 6v6 until i played an actual proper co-ordinated game where half the teams used discord... The funny thing is even though everyone including aliens was on the same discord channel as marines while marines command through discord, marines still won...

Problem is, without proper team co-ordination, the game's balance marine winning probability shifts towards simply more players.

My mod tries to limit this with its own resource system
    edited December 2016
    edited December 2016
    6v6 yesterday. vs fades with 80 starting armour...its not balanced.
    Remove metabolise.
    so fades actually dont get to heal every engagement.
    Remove metabolise.
    make fade play actually skilled...and on a knifes edge "more inline with the lerk".
    Remove metabolise.
    NERF THE FADE.
    Remove metabolise.
    Could use the old shadowstep back. I heard there was a jump bug with the shadowstep that made it op but 4horsemen couldn't replicate it in my mod (I had re-added it to my tremns2 mod to get some experience and because metabolize felt ugly) because I apparently fixed that exploit when i fixed a bug to do with the shadowstep not correctly jumping when on ground when initiating a shadowstep
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    It would really be nice to see Metabolize as a passive upgrade and give fades a proper movement tool instead.
    The problems I see with metab is that its #1 a super boring spam mechanic clone of adrenaline and #2 super mandatory as well since base fade have been balanced to not have enough energy.
    coolitic wrote: »
    Have you ever thought that maybe everyone's pc isn't as bad as yours?
    And do you think Overwatch would have been succesful if it required a nuclear central to run and even then would lag whenever there were more than 3 entities on screen?

• VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Point and click blink o/
    ZdrytchX wrote: »
    Could use the old shadowstep back. I heard there was a jump bug with the shadowstep that made it op but 4horsemen couldn't replicate it in my mod (I had re-added it to my tremns2 mod to get some experience and because metabolize felt ugly) because I apparently fixed that exploit when i fixed a bug to do with the shadowstep not correctly jumping when on ground when initiating a shadowstep

I dont believe they removed it because it was bugged (or OP) rather because its extremely similar to blink. they said they have this philosophy in the game of giving every uprade a unique purpose but takin the same idea one could argue now metab is very similar to adren.
    because its extremely similar to blink. they said they have this philosophy in the game of giving every uprade a unique purpose but takin the same idea one could argue now metab is very similar to adren.
    Gotta bring back
    Vortex
    then!