New Crafting Idea: Mesmer Lens Fragment

DarthOmnisDarthOmnis United States Join Date: 2016-12-15 Member: 224970Members
I have an idea that could add a layer of risk/reward when dealing with Mesmers other than, "Must resist, but sooo pretty," if you manage to get close to a Mesmer with your blade out and can attack and kill it before it gets you, you are reward with a new crafting element: Mesmer lens fragment. This came to me after I read over their dossier and saw how they utilized tiny lenses on their fins to produce different lighting effects to mesmerize victims.

The lens fragment would be a resource used in the creation/improvement/upgrade of items that need a refractive surface, namely items like the laser cutter or solar panels. Obviously there would need to be some discussion about what logically requires this sort of material, but it would make a nice addition to mid/late game requiring upgrades like the solar charger upgrade for the seamoth, or even and upgraded solar panel to your seabase maybe increase overall power regeneration.

Any and all constructive thoughts/ideas/opinions are welcomed and encouraged.

Comments

• IlexLegionIlexLegion Join Date: 2016-09-21 Member: 222475Members
    The devs seem set against violence, so if they did this they would probably create a mesmer nest and put them there or just have them spawn in mesmer territory.
  • subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members
    IlexLegion wrote: »
    The devs seem set against violence, so if they did this they would probably create a mesmer nest and put them there or just have them spawn in mesmer territory.

of course, you could always get mesmer scales by whacking them with a knife, similar to creepvines. Either that or by having them fall off randomly or come off under stress or something. I think an interesting use of "mesmer tech" would be to make a suit or device that could hypnotise predators to make them stop attacking you...
  • DarthOmnisDarthOmnis United States Join Date: 2016-12-15 Member: 224970Members
    IlexLegion wrote: »

The nest is a good idea, however I personally would like a bit more direct risk/reward dynamic; instead of physically harming the mesmer, every time they initiate the hypnosis there is the possibility of a lens fragment dropping from them similar to the stalkers and their teeth. Or even better you have to be close to them and physically harvest the fragments from them all the while being influenced. You could even have it to where not all of the fragments you pick up are real and are just more of the hypnotic effect.
  • DarthOmnisDarthOmnis United States Join Date: 2016-12-15 Member: 224970Members
    edited December 2016
    of course, you could always get mesmer scales by whacking them with a knife, similar to creepvines. Either that or by having them fall off randomly or come off under stress or something. I think an interesting use of "mesmer tech" would be to make a suit or device that could hypnotize predators to make them stop attacking you...

I like the mesmer tech idea. I think having it as a suit upgrade might be a bit overpowered seeing as how it would more than likely be an automatic response usually meaning once you had it you wouldn't have to be worried about getting attacked, but it could be effective as a handheld device(maybe an upgraded flashlight?[imagine using it on crash fish!]), or even a new defense module for vehicles like the seamoth and PRAWN when attacked. For example: you are harvesting materials on the ocean floor in your PRAWN, all of a sudden you are grappled by a Leviathan. You either press the slotted hotkey for the module or it is a key prompt when attacked either way, once activated it placates aggressive fauna for a short amount of time( similar amount as feeding stalkers?) long enough for you to escape or even collect any valuables the creature might be protecting.

*Edited for elaboration.
    *and poor grammar...
  • CAPSHAWCAPSHAW Nevada Join Date: 2016-09-29 Member: 222692Members
    Scan for blueprint Psychedelic wall panels that I can use to make my room feel like a n actual room. I can sit down in my bed and eat some of those Acid Mushrooms and just TRIIIP
  • JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    I read the title and thought of something completely different. I thought this would be about a gun that you could shoot at fish and make them slowly swim towards you so that you could get them easily. Maybe instead of killing Mesmers you could craft a mirror and hold it up whilst looking at a Mesmer, and then the Mesmer swims forward into the mirror and gets stuck to it because it will never stop swimming towards it. Then you can harvest some things from it and make the gun. I dunno, I just thought it would be that when I read the title, your idea's awesome too :)
    Jamezorg wrote: »
    I read the title and thought of something completely different. I thought this would be about a gun that you could shoot at fish and make them slowly swim towards you so that you could get them easily. Maybe instead of killing Mesmers you could craft a mirror and hold it up whilst looking at a Mesmer, and then the Mesmer swims forward into the mirror and gets stuck to it because it will never stop swimming towards it. Then you can harvest some things from it and make the gun. I dunno, I just thought it would be that when I read the title, your idea's awesome too :)

Originally I had in mind some sort of hand held device not necessarily a gun, probably an upgraded flashlight or something, but I do like your idea for collecting them. You could make the mirror from one piece of glass and one titanium or something.
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    Jamezorg wrote: »

How about if instead of hypnotizing them back, mesmers aren't creatures that can recognize themselves and will think they're dealing with another of their kind? Since they are solitary but not aggressive, they could be coaxed into performing a de-escalation gesture (barrel roll?) that loosens the lens material after which they swim off for distance. The lens material can then be picked up. Two mesmers near each other will also do this.