This games unplayable

Comments

• 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    They think it's the terraforming, which is slated to be removed. If that fixes the problem, then we're all good.
  • UnfairGraceUnfairGrace Join Date: 2016-11-27 Member: 224269Members
    Oh yea I heard something about that. I'm a new player and only ~11 hours in. Do we know how often those updates typically occur?
  • FrustratedFrustrated Join Date: 2016-11-04 Member: 223643Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    They think it's the terraforming, which is slated to be removed. If that fixes the problem, then we're all good.

As much as I love the terraforming (I hope they will take the terraforming out and make the land solid as it is now and NOT reset it), I've been thinking the lag is due to it. I have quite a lot of terraforming.

I'm surprised that it affects players with so few game play hours though. And I think it's somehow linked to the seamoth.

The crashes seemed to start at the last big update. I know of at least 3 spots where my game will crash - one by a new base at the northern edge of the north-west mushroom forest; one at the rear of the aurora, and almost at mountain island. Was fine before the last update!

The big updates occur approx once a month on the stable channel; and little ones almost constantly on experimental.
    edited November 2016
    Yeah, definitely once the next stable build hits, either restart your game, or clear the cache on your current game (always do this when an update hits, or your current save won't get most of the update, such as, you won't see the Precursor gun on a save made before that update!).

Links to do this, as always are in my sig.
  • LaneEatsBrainsLaneEatsBrains Florida Join Date: 2016-01-15 Member: 211448Members
    I have not used the Terraforming tool once in my saved game, and still have the issue.
    I have not used the Terraforming tool once in my saved game, and still have the issue.

When you build bases, it automatically terraforms to allow your base to fit.
  • LaneEatsBrainsLaneEatsBrains Florida Join Date: 2016-01-15 Member: 211448Members

If they are taking that function out, it seems as though you would only be able to build on top of the terrain, I'd rather they just built a function in to clear the cache each time the game loads! :smile:

If they are taking that function out, it seems as though you would only be able to build on top of the terrain, I'd rather they just built a function in to clear the cache each time the game loads! :smile:

They are, the base parts will have longer legs.
  • Fixxer182Fixxer182 Germany Join Date: 2016-11-12 Member: 223822Members
    but before the last update i have more than 160fps by new game, now i have by new game round about 70fps.
  • LargoLargo Austria Join Date: 2016-11-29 Member: 224355Members
    It's definitely not the terraforming.
    My second game is now damaged 13hrs playtime..........

I had built no base for the two storage stands.
    They were saying there's something about the terraforming system itself, even when unused, that causes this, at least that's the scuttlebutt I heard.

Doesn't make any sense to me, unless there's a memory leak or something getting saved to the terraforming files?!? I do know your saved game files get absolutely huge the longer you play, even if you avoid terraforming, which doesn't make sense and seems to point towards something like that.
  • ech0gh0stech0gh0st CA Join Date: 2016-05-11 Member: 216637Members
    Latest experimental (for the past few experimental updates also) Taking out the pda screws ip my game. When I put it away it stays in my hand and i can move my head or pick anything up. No one else seems to have this probelm... ive wiped my game files multiple times and uninstlled and reinstalled so I wonder why noone selse has these prblems
    Hmm. Do you customize any of your keybindings? Are your graphics drivers up to date? What do you use to play, keyboard & mouse, controller, both?
  • DreacosDreacos Join Date: 2015-04-28 Member: 203919Members
    They were saying there's something about the terraforming system itself, even when unused, that causes this, at least that's the scuttlebutt I heard.

Doesn't make any sense to me, unless there's a memory leak or something getting saved to the terraforming files?!? I do know your saved game files get absolutely huge the longer you play, even if you avoid terraforming, which doesn't make sense and seems to point towards something like that.

As someone with no programming experience whatsoever, I believe the culprit to be a bug in the code that causes certain components of terrain chunks to duplicate on top of each other, resulting in numerous fragments, doors, etc. occupying the same exact position on the map.

Although, it can easily be that the entire map is duplicated, as it would also explain how easily the problem exacerbates in old saves in which the player has visited multiple chunks. All systems that can run the game can handle one or two chunks times ten simultaneously, but make that 10-15 chunks, and it'll eat through any amount of RAM in no time. This would also explain the humongous save file sizes that actually seem to indicate an exponential increase in data, as well as why your method of clearing cache alleviates the problem, at least until the player visits other chunks again.

Terraforming may or may not affect the problem, as we have no way of checking that out. If the above holds water, any deformation in terrain would also deform the entire set of the chunk's duplicates. Currently, I can think of three methods of terrain deformation, i) automated deformation during base building, ii) high-speed impacts (i.e. Propulsion Cannon introducing Biters to the ocean floor, leaving a nice and satisfying crater, and iii) Crash explosions. Although, I think it would be a safe bet to assume terraforming plays only a limited role, as this issue was non-existing when we had full blown terraforming across the map.
  • Psychokiller1888Psychokiller1888 Switzerland Join Date: 2016-12-06 Member: 224630Members
    edited December 2016
    Hi there!

My 5 cents, whatever it can help

I started playing a week ago only. Fresh to Subnautica, fully aware it's an alpha pre release, I'm already amazed how well this all goes. Unfortunately, I'm running into to same problems as you guys, crashes, crashes and crashes. Well, a little retrospective on the adventure I had in game brought me to these conclusions:

- My computer is most likely not at fault (i7 skylake 6700k, 32go ddr4, 2x GTX 970 SLI, raid EVO 840 blablabla) because even changing the settings won't affect stability.
    - I play at work also (you know, on brake time.......) on another computer, much much less powerfull, on full settings, no crashes....

So what the heck??!?! Let's see what I did and when it started:

- I first noticed problems after 3 days swiming around. 10 doors to cut spawned on top of each other, 4 PRAWN arm pieces to scan on top of each other etc etc. But no perf influence
    - I continued playing, just taking some more batteries with to cut the ever increasing doors that respawn after a game restart (of crash?). Built a seamoth, wasn't crashing yet
    - Then, as everybody does I guess, the seamoth brought me further (lazy swimer) and I got to the island where I finally scanned my first underwater base pieces.
    - All happily I started to build my base. Very little at start, but also very little crashes........
    - Then it grew, and so did the crashes. As I always save before a "mission", I spawn in my base. Going out generated a little lag, going into the wild wasn't crashing at all. Into the wild, or shall I say "the unknown"? That can make a difference, because I seldom crashed visiting new places, never before loaded chunks, but was very very often crashing going back.
    - That was a crash a day... Then I noticed that aboard of a vehicle you can see through your base walls and see all the furniture and deco elements. Not the machines! Weird....
    - The base extended, and with the Cyclop coming in I went further, and started to crash on my way to "further". And coming back too. Not to forget that I have to unboard the seamoth before saving, or if I dare save while in the seamoth and crash, upon restart my seamoth is propulsed in the air, leaving my at the depth I was when saving, but in deep dive, hoping the seamoth will fall back in the ocean and that I have time to dive up and find it. Well, that's another bug, so let's skip this
    - Still no crashes at work.... I don't have much time there, so I don't have any cyclop, bases etc etc, just swiming, fishing, eating and drinking while searching for fragments

I do not say I have the answer, but my gut feeling is
    - It has something to do with my seabase
    - It has something to do with the fact it altered the terrain around my base, the more I extended, the more crashes I had.
    - Reading the logs tells a lot. Something causes a fatal error on loading stuffs. Memory hype? Just throwing things you know.

I'm all happilly giving more informations to whoever wants, I'm a dev and I like when others help me on our products. I wasn't here before, I totally forgot about this game even though it was on my wish list since appeared on Steam, so I cannot compare to "before".

I did send the team a complete log, dump, error and dxdiag set
    You could try sending them your saved game folder (how-to in my sig + other helpful info). Not sure if they're still looking for those or not but it can't hurt.
  • Teegee777Teegee777 Join Date: 2015-09-23 Member: 208116Members
    edited December 2016
    I'm glad to see that I'm not the only person experiencing such game-breaking crashes and lag.

I've been playing this game for over a year and it has never, ever, been this bad before.

It's unplayable right now.

Something I have noticed is that whenever I go to explore a wreck; I have to cut through 5 layers of doors or repair 5 layers of panels in order to get through an obstacle. Is the map duplicating itself?

Teegee777 wrote: »
    I'm glad to see that I'm not the only person experiencing such game-breaking crashes and lag.

I've been playing this game for over 2 years and it has never, ever, been this bad before.

Something I have noticed is that whenever I go to explore a wreck; I have to cut through 5 layers of doors or repair 5 layers of panels in order to get through an obstacle. Is the map duplicating itself?

Switch to experimental until the December stable update. I'd not recommend 40062 (current stable build) to anyone for more than a quick introductory play, and maybe not even then.
  • MasonsterMasonster California Join Date: 2016-12-11 Member: 224826Members
    edited December 2016

I've been playing this game for over 2 years and it has never, ever, been this bad before.

Switch to experimental until the December stable update. I'd not recommend 40062 (current stable build) to anyone for more than a quick introductory play, and maybe not even then.

I did exactly this and the same issue persists. No difference whatsoever.

As someone above me mentioned, I'm pretty sure this has to do with wrecks not unloading properly. From what I have seen, when you leave the loaded area that a wreck is in, the wreck (for some reason) tries to despawn itself, and when you re-enter the area, respawn itself (as evidenced by all the previously opened doors being closed once again). After a certain point in your game, this will cease to happen and you will have wrecks that have layers upon layers of coinciding sealed doors, loot and PDA's to the point where loading that area takes longer and longer and longer 'til - you guessed it - crash. I've even seen some wrecks never respawn at all, leaving behind awkwardly floating loot for the taking (The wreck at -102 -179 860).

I have absolutely no idea why the wrecks feel the need to despawn and respawn themselves. This seems like it would be a trivial issue to fix if the devs just made them persistent game objects.

In addition, it definitely seems like this issue is exacerbated by having gone more places in the world and by adding more and more objects to your base. The save bloat is probably gigantic.

EDIT: It is. Each of my saves is nearly precisely 1.02 gigs. That file size may very well be a breaking point for the game depending on system specs.

The only other oddities I've observed is that after a while, usually around the same time the game starts to implode, Gastropod gas bubbles will be loaded into the world as if a gastropod has already shot them out, and the PDA interface will inexplicably grow more opaque until you reload the save.

Here are the links to my everything (saves, crashes, etc) on the off-chance someone important sees this.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B8fLCqj05XWANFZNbXNVTmxlNE0?usp=sharing

(Game running at 2560x1440, settings maxed, 144hz)
  • mndfreezemndfreeze Grand Tempe Reef Join Date: 2016-02-26 Member: 213456Members
    I've been having the opaque PDA issue as well. It doesn't get worse and worse for me tho, it will just suddenly pop up that way at some point while running around and hopping in and out of vehicles and my base, etc. Exiting the game always fixes it but then it will randomly hit again later on. I play experimental now and while I have a lot less crashes and lag issues then I did on stable, the issues do still persist and definitely get exponentially worse as your game time progresses forward. Save files get huge even without massive bases being made, as my current base only has 5 total multipurpose rooms, just connected off a central hallway, 2 on each side then one at the end and a door port at the other end, and 2 moonpools, one for a moth and one for a prawn.

Every time I do the cache clearing (except on my bases zone) the game dramtically speeds up again, though never to the level it was when you very first start a brand new save game. Then drags and drags more as I start to visit places around the map, harvest things, etc etc.

Hopefully the optimization pass is coming soon since the game is due to be released in Febuary I think, somewhere around there at least is what I thought I saw on trello. Can't validate that claim currently as my work blocks trello for being a 'file sharing site' for some stupid reason lol.

I know some issues subnautica has are actual engine related issues as well. I've seen quite a few other games that all run the same engine and have simliar pop in and other issues.
  • Psychokiller1888Psychokiller1888 Switzerland Join Date: 2016-12-06 Member: 224630Members
    Same here for the opaque pda, crafter etc etc. Just, it never stopped once it started :smile:
    Masonster wrote: »

As someone above me mentioned, I'm pretty sure this has to do with wrecks not unloading properly. From what I have seen, when you leave the loaded area that a wreck is in, the wreck (for some reason) tries to despawn itself, and when you re-enter the area, respawn itself (as evidenced by all the previously opened doors being closed once again). After a certain point in your game, this will cease to happen and you will have wrecks that have layers upon layers of coinciding sealed doors, loot and PDA's to the point where loading that area takes longer and longer and longer 'til - you guessed it - crash. I've even seen some wrecks never respawn at all, leaving behind awkwardly floating loot for the taking (The wreck at -102 -179 860).

I have absolutely no idea why the wrecks feel the need to despawn and respawn themselves. This seems like it would be a trivial issue to fix if the devs just made them persistent game objects.

In addition, it definitely seems like this issue is exacerbated by having gone more places in the world and by adding more and more objects to your base. The save bloat is probably gigantic.

EDIT: It is. Each of my saves is nearly precisely 1.02 gigs. That file size may very well be a breaking point for the game depending on system specs.

The only other oddities I've observed is that after a while, usually around the same time the game starts to implode, Gastropod gas bubbles will be loaded into the world as if a gastropod has already shot them out, and the PDA interface will inexplicably grow more opaque until you reload the save.

Here are the links to my everything (saves, crashes, etc) on the off-chance someone important sees this.

Did you clear your cache after switching to experimental? If not, you may have 40062 assets still loading (the game is supposed to take care of this automatically now, but I've seen instances where it slips through the cracks).
    edited December 2016

Did you clear your cache after switching to experimental? If not, you may have 40062 assets still loading (the game is supposed to take care of this automatically now, but I've seen instances where it slips through the cracks).

I haven't, and I have no doubt it would mitigate the issue for a time, I'm just not a huge fan of having all of the resources reset. I'll back up my save and give it a shot anyways to confirm.

The fact that my cache is 800 megabytes large is worrisome in and of itself. It isn't normally this big, right? (in previous versions, that is)

EDIT: Re-reading your post, I did want to mention that I started a fresh game after switching to experimental. I haven't touched my other save yet.

EDIT 2: It seems that deleting the smaller CellsCache folder seems to have done the trick. I think this reinforces the wrecks theory -- I only really crashed when the game tried to either load or unload a wreck prefab.
    mndfreeze wrote: »
    I've been having the opaque PDA issue as well. It doesn't get worse and worse for me tho, it will just suddenly pop up that way at some point while running around and hopping in and out of vehicles and my base, etc. Exiting the game always fixes it but then it will randomly hit again later on. I play experimental now and while I have a lot less crashes and lag issues then I did on stable, the issues do still persist and definitely get exponentially worse as your game time progresses forward. Save files get huge even without massive bases being made, as my current base only has 5 total multipurpose rooms, just connected off a central hallway, 2 on each side then one at the end and a door port at the other end, and 2 moonpools, one for a moth and one for a prawn.

Every time I do the cache clearing (except on my bases zone) the game dramtically speeds up again, though never to the level it was when you very first start a brand new save game. Then drags and drags more as I start to visit places around the map, harvest things, etc etc.

Hopefully the optimization pass is coming soon since the game is due to be released in Febuary I think, somewhere around there at least is what I thought I saw on trello. Can't validate that claim currently as my work blocks trello for being a 'file sharing site' for some stupid reason lol.

I know some issues subnautica has are actual engine related issues as well. I've seen quite a few other games that all run the same engine and have simliar pop in and other issues.

Yeah, that was what was going on with my PDA as well, you just articulated it better. XD My bad.

That's roughly the size of my base as well, and I'd at least consider that pretty big if you've got it loaded up with devices and furniture.
  • mndfreezemndfreeze Grand Tempe Reef Join Date: 2016-02-26 Member: 213456Members

The fact that my cache is 800 megabytes large is worrisome in and of itself. It isn't normally this big, right? (in previous versions, that is)

lol 800mb isn't even big. My cache file gets waaaaaaaay bigger then that in total size after just zooming across the map and back a few times.

Ive been clearing my cache file every other day now roughly, and it usually is around 2GB in size for all of it together. (all 1800 files or whatever.)
    My base isn't loaded up by any means, It only has a few pieces of furniture in total, and about 5 cabinets and maybe 6 wall lockers in total, no where near full of items either. I just started my current savegame maybe a week ago, and have about 25-30 hours on it of play time.

There definitely needs to be some optimization work done on the game when it comes to all the various items and furniture and decor stuff, as I can definitely feel things start to get weighed down as I build, even with clearing my cache, etc.

lol 800mb isn't even big. My cache file gets waaaaaaaay bigger then that in total size after just zooming across the map and back a few times.

Ive been clearing my cache file every other day now roughly, and it usually is around 2GB in size for all of it together. (all 1800 files or whatever.)

Jesus holy christ. Yeah, I think something is definitely wrong when one's save file can become a significant fraction of the base game's total size. Totally ridiculous.

• DchicoteDchicote Germany Join Date: 2015-05-26 Member: 204901Members
    Exp Vers. Mac
    Hi Guys, yes, on Mac, the game starts, but I cannot go back into the Lifepod (stuck), cannot craft limestone and so on. So it is unplayable on Mac for now.
  • FrustratedFrustrated Join Date: 2016-11-04 Member: 223643Members

Jesus holy christ. Yeah, I think something is definitely wrong when one's save file can become a significant fraction of the base game's total size. Totally ridiculous.

3.55GB mine... Game takes almost 400 secs to load as well (never cleared cache).
    Frustrated wrote: »

3.55GB mine... Game takes almost 400 secs to load as well (never cleared cache).

SSD, yo. Probably cut that in half at least.