More good news from Discord. This time SN linear-ness fixes, less useless loot (+silver, -gold)

0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members

Comments

• 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    Holy tits this is rad as hell.

>Less Sand Sharks
    Woooo

>Easier to find Seaglides
    WOOOO

>More Silver in Sandstone Deposits
    [WOOOOing intensifies]
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    edited December 2016
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    Generally happy with these changes, but can someone translate that line about gold & silver to me? I assume the 25/75 numbers are switched around, but does sandstone now half the time give gold? Because that'd be more a setback than an improvement...
    DrownedOut wrote: »
    Generally happy with these changes, but can someone translate that line about gold & silver to me? I assume the 25/75 numbers are switched around, but does sandstone now half the time give gold? Because that'd be more a setback than an improvement...

Before update, sandstone had a 75% chance of gold, 25% chance of silver. Now it's 50% / 50%.
    edited December 2016
    0x6A7232 wrote: »

Before update, sandstone had a 75% chance of gold, 25% chance of silver. Now it's 50% / 50%.

Is this about experimental then, because I don't remember it ever being that way? 50/50 would be a setback from my own 70/30 experience. Gold is something I never have too little off; it's silver I have to go out of my way for.

Is this about experimental then, because I don't remember it ever being that way? 50/50 would be a setback from my own 70/30 experience. Gold is something I never have too little off; it's silver I have to go out of my way for.

-_-

So, I said they decreased the amount of gold, and increased the amount of silver. Are you saying you got silver 70% of the time? Most people end up with truckloads of Gold, and scrounge for silver, like you said, so decreasing the gold, and increasing the silver is a good thing.

-_-

So, I said they decreased the amount of gold, and increased the amount of silver. Are you saying you got silver 70% of the time? Most people end up with truckloads of Gold, and scrounge for silver, like you said, so decreasing the gold, and increasing the silver is a good thing.

Apologies, I didn't mean for you to have to repeat. But yeah, the numbers as presented just don't match my experiences. I do experience too much gold from sandstone, but not at all that much too much. I'm curious to how this will work out for me then.

Thank you for your time.
    edited December 2016
    Not a problem, must've been a misunderstanding. But, eh.. to clarify, the numbers do match your experience, you said,
    50/50 would be a setback from my own 70/30 experience.

So you have a 70/30 experience. And, to see what the 70 is and what the 30 is,
    Gold is something I never have too little off; it's silver I have to go out of my way for.

So, you have a 70% gold to 30% silver in your experience, which matches to within 5% the quoted pre-update rate of
    75% chance of gold, 25% chance of silver

Therefore, if the ratio is changed from:
    Before update, sandstone had a 75% chance of gold, 25% chance of silver.

to:
    Now it's 50% / 50%.

You will see an increase in the amount of silver you find, and a decrease in the amount of gold you find.

To put it in graphical terms:

Before:

1fmtyv.pngvia Imgflip Pie Chart Maker

After:

1fmu4m.pngvia Imgflip Pie Chart Maker
    edited December 2016
    Not a problem, must've been a misunderstanding. But, eh.. to clarify, the numbers do match your experience, you said,
    50/50 would be a setback from my own 70/30 experience.

So you have a 70/30 experience. And, to see what the 70 is and what the 30 is,
    Gold is something I never have too little off; it's silver I have to go out of my way for.

So, you have a 70% gold to 30% silver in your experience, which matches to within 5% the quoted pre-update rate of
    75% chance of gold, 25% chance of silver

Therefore, if the ratio is changed from:
    Before update, sandstone had a 75% chance of gold, 25% chance of silver.

to:
    Now it's 50% / 50%.

You will see an increase in the amount of silver you find, and a decrease in the amount of gold you find.

Eh, no, that's not what I meant. Most of my gold comes from harvesting shale in search of lithium and basalt in search for diamond and there's fairly little to spend the gold on (I rarely build power transmitters), while my silver shortage is due to the huge amount of chips needed. Sandstone does drop gold for me, but really only in that 30% area. It's the shale and basalt that's doing the gold surplus, not the sandstone. Now if those two could be tuned, that'd be a lot more interesting to me.
    edited December 2016
    Ah, I see what you mean now.
  • HiSaZuLHiSaZuL N.Y. Join Date: 2016-11-11 Member: 223803Members
    They really should buff range on transmitters, frankly nobody using them simply because they need to be so close together that it's not very pleasing to look at. If they were you could wire solar panels to waaay down below or inside and thermal reactors to a base that isn't sitting on top of erupting volcano and you melting inside your base :p

Then again I can also understand if they did so on purpose, so people won't try to connect things that won't even load at the same time, which would create more complaints. Eh I don't know. Idea itself is great it's just lacking that little bit of something.
    HiSaZuL wrote: »
    They really should buff range on transmitters, frankly nobody using them simply because they need to be so close together that it's not very pleasing to look at. If they were you could wire solar panels to waaay down below or inside and thermal reactors to a base that isn't sitting on top of erupting volcano and you melting inside your base :p

Then again I can also understand if they did so on purpose, so people won't try to connect things that won't even load at the same time, which would create more complaints. Eh I don't know. Idea itself is great it's just lacking that little bit of something.

Maybe make them 3-6x the range, but 3-6x more expensive, too?
    edited December 2016
    Ah, I see what you mean now.

Tbh, I wouldn't mind if sandstone ditched gold completely. The way the game is set up, the "first" thing you need it for is the propulsion cannon, and if you can go out of your way to get those fragments you're already in or nearby basalt-rich biomes.
    HiSaZuL wrote: »
    They really should buff range on transmitters, frankly nobody using them simply because they need to be so close together that it's not very pleasing to look at. If they were you could wire solar panels to waaay down below or inside and thermal reactors to a base that isn't sitting on top of erupting volcano and you melting inside your base :pensive:

I actually don't have any complaints about the transmitter range. It's always more than I expect it to be, except for the first one that has to be built close to the plant/panel. I would, however, enjoy a more subtle beam, options to split beams or ways to have energy travel between unconnected base components, and a base transmitter to aim the beam at. I'm not very fond of beams coming in through the window, so to say.
  • QelsarQelsar Lansdowne, MD Join Date: 2016-05-09 Member: 216536Members
    @DrownedOut I agree with you on the surplus gold aspect. The only time I use it is for Adv Wire Kits and I get a lot while searching for Diamonds in the Grand Reef to craft the LCutter and Drill Arm. Just trying to get 5 diamonds for items I end up with more gold than I use the whole game. Silver was never really an issue for me as once I scavenged enough from the Kelp Forest area to get some chips, I have the PRAWN built and then I just truck around mining the bright white nodes. Hopefully gold will be used for more things in the future, but right now unless you build pwr xmitters you need ......... 14-20 pieces total? Just my thoughts.
    If the devs are serious about its use for power transmitters, maybe make the solar power at lot less effective at depths of over 50 feet. (But people will still just build bases up near the surface, I think.)