First Grand Reef Election Debate

subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members
Welcome, Ladies and Gentlemen, to the first Grand Reef Election Debate! I, Subnauticambrian, will be your moderator this evening (or morning, afternoon, night, wherever you are in the world). There have been a lot of polarizing and urgent issues this election cycle, so here's how it's going to work: Any person can comment on what party they want to represent in the Debate. As soon as we have at least two people/parties present, the debate will begin.
Here's the question format: I will ask a question, and each candidate gets one post to respond. People can sign up to represent a party and jump into the debate at any time- if you do that, though, don't go back and answer previous debate questions.

As always, remember to keep your arguments civil (with the possible exception of the NVP on party grounds), and a reminder to the audience- no cheering, booing, bubbling, or gurgling. Happy debating!

:smiley:

Comments

• JoeakuakuJoeakuaku USA Join Date: 2016-04-10 Member: 215614Members
    edited November 2016
    Count me in for the NVP @ 4 PM, EST.
    EDIT: how about I create a Discord server at that point for the discussion? Perhaps the forum is a bit... klunky? for this. If so, we need some moderators, and maybe someone to compile a document of the statements of the party, summarized or something.
  • hugothesilverdragonhugothesilverdragon canad Join Date: 2015-11-30 Member: 209620Members
  • subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members
    Joeakuaku wrote: »
    Count me in for the NVP @ 4 PM, EST.
    EDIT: how about I create a Discord server at that point for the discussion? Perhaps the forum is a bit... klunky? for this. If so, we need some moderators, and maybe someone to compile a document of the statements of the party, summarized or something.

I'd love a discord for the subject, that's a pretty good idea. However, I think the post format of the forum can help people make focused arguments that don't go on for too long. I think if we held the debate in a discord it would degenerate into name-calling and accusations pretty quickly- Especially considering that there is an entire party based on violence, and another based around hypnosis well structured arguments.

As for the party platforms, I think that if you created some discord chats (going back to the discord) devoted to each party, the main party enthusiasts (@dealwithitdog - SAHP, @BENSKI - EPCA, @ResolutionBlaze + @Joeakuaku -NVP, @Nautical_Nick -PH/SP, @Jamezorg - NLAP [and many others]) and the rest of us could coagulate into our party affiliations and discuss things and whatnot. :smile:
  • DragonMaster54DragonMaster54 United States of America Join Date: 2016-11-02 Member: 223612Members
    Deport the peepers!!!!!!!!!!
  • subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members
    Alright so far we've got a spokesperson for the NVP- By the way, NVP affiliates might consider collaborating for a cohesive argument.
  • ResolutionBlazeResolutionBlaze The Dunes Join Date: 2016-04-06 Member: 215392Members
    Bonecruncher will help represent the NVP.
  • JoeakuakuJoeakuaku USA Join Date: 2016-04-10 Member: 215614Members
    So my plan is to create a single server with a general channel, and then channels for each party that attends with official representatives, or officially approved ones. Said representatives will be invited individually to the specific channels, and of course, moderator(s) will have access to all channels. Finally, a debate channel for the reps to debate, public but non-reps are disallowed from commenting, and a channel to ask the reps, public to all and anyone can chat (I assume discord allows the selective allowance of chat priveleges). At the end, if brian is okay with it, a poll will be linked to for the final votes.
  • JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    As spokesperson of N-LAP, it is my job to tell you the plans for N-LAP, and its future if we succeed in becoming the major power in these seas.

Our plans are, of course, to completely knock the Aurora wreckage out of our waters. It has destroyed a sizeable chunk of our ecosystem, including a small portion of the Grand Reef. We plan to, with the help of the NVP's Reapers (if they would be so kind) subject the Aurora wreckage to an eternity in the void. We may need the combined strength of all of the water's wildlife, but whatever it takes to get the wreckage out of our waters is a minimum.
    We also plan to rid the ocean of any abandoned bases and every scrap of the Degasi wreckage. We feel these small portions of technology are overlooked, but not by us. We will do whatever it takes to make the ocean clean again, and it is in our best interests to work with the EPCA, but our collaboration attempts have failed. EPCA, if you hear this, we want to work with you but we can't if you keep on smuggling these damn Tiger Plants wherever you go.
    We also promise to destroy the Precursor Base in the Lost River, as it has been laying dormant and untouched for decades now. We will house the Warpers that inhabit this area near the Precursor Gun, as we do respect the lives of all of the ocean's citizens.

If you care about the ocean you will vote for N-LAP. We have some theories in the works that the elections may be rigged in the favour of the Mesmers, but I forgot the evidence. I'll try and remember for next time I speak.

I encourage you to ask questions about N-LAPs motives and plans for the future.
  • ResolutionBlazeResolutionBlaze The Dunes Join Date: 2016-04-06 Member: 215392Members
    I am attempting to get into the debate

How do I enter? The link doesn't work.
    You better not have started the debate without me.
  • peeper_reaperpeeper_reaper Join Date: 2016-11-15 Member: 223881Members
  • peeper_reaperpeeper_reaper Join Date: 2016-11-15 Member: 223881Members
    Just a question for the N-LAP about the wreakage doesn't it provide a home for small fish to hide from preadotors
  • _intothevoid__intothevoid_ Join Date: 2016-08-24 Member: 221653Members
    What is the link?
    or is it even up yet?
    Right now we have me as a representative, we just need the Moderator to make an appearance, and maybe one more Representative from another party for the #debate to begin!
    Ah yes, the invite appears to have expired for me. Well, here's your first question anyways: This year, the crashing of the Aurora Starship in sovereign 4546B waters has massively impacted the climate and landscape of our planet. Most candidates agree that the waters should be freed of extraneous wreckage, but there has been a lot of bluster on both sides of the isle (see what I did there :wink: ). My question for party representatives is how exactly do you propose to deal with the wreckage? What steps would you take to solve this issue with your first 100 days in office? What aspects make your plan better than the other parties' plans? What aspects make the other parties' worse?
  • dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members
    edited November 2016
    https://discord.gg/cMhqKUj (SAHP Chatroom)
    Ah yes, the invite appears to have expired for me. Well, here's your first question anyways: This year, the crashing of the Aurora Starship in sovereign 4546B waters has massively impacted the climate and landscape of our planet. Most candidates agree that the waters should be freed of extraneous wreckage, but there has been a lot of bluster on both sides of the isle (see what I did there :wink: ). My question for party representatives is how exactly do you propose to deal with the wreckage? What steps would you take to solve this issue with your first 100 days in office? What aspects make your plan better than the other parties' plans? What aspects make the other parties' worse?

For the purpose of making this easier for everyone, the SAHP will have me speaking on their behalf, instead of speaking through me. We agree that the wreckage needs to be cleared, and in order to do so, we have a simple plan. The members of the NVP are clearly the strongest, physically, among us, so we will have Reapers and Sea Dragons move the wreckage, and have Shuttlebugs clean up some of the smaller wreckage. This would take far less than 100 days, and would begin immediately after election. Now, you may ask how we will get them to cooperate.
    W̡̛̠̤̬̖̝̪̮̌̾͋͑̎̈́̽̀É̵͈͍̳̯̻͇̊̉̋́̓͟͠͞'̞̥̮̤͇͍̫̤͋̇̈̃͒͝ͅĻ̡̹͔̪͉͇̟̭̐͑̋̏͆L̴͎̳̹̰͓͓̻͓͍̪̂̑̐̽̕ F̢͇̯̫͔̠̓̐̐̓̄͜͟͠ͅĮ̴̮̟̳̝͔͕̳̼͌̂̅̋͐̀̀ͅĢ̸̘͙̱̘͙̝͒̂̄̂̈́̀͢͞U̷̡͍̲͎̫̪͛̾͆̐͑̃͢͟R̶̢̩̠͙͚͌͗̒̍̿́̓͠͡E͔͚͎̪͇̩͆̆͑̂͒̔̂̆ I̵̡̛̼̘̟̙̘͍͈͆̂̉́͌̾͘͟͠T̷̥͉̤̭͂͌̃̾̎͘̕͟ Ǫ̛̳̹̠̪́̓̈̊̅̃ͅͅŲ̴̢̦̲̻̙̪͎̥̒͂͊͑̅́͜͡T̨͚̫̯͕̍̔̿̀̇̿͢ J̞̘̝̯̰͍̅́̾̌͑͞U̵̧̙̰͙̼̞̍̇̚͢͝͠S̷̮̻̠̝̭̔͛̿͞͠͠T̴̡̹̩͖̐̒̍͂͑̍͟ F̴̢͇̝̻͔̭̳͔̥̔̃̿̒͒Ĩ̬̫̣̫͂̅͒͋̓̇͂͘͜Ņ̵̧͓͈͕̯̬͉͉̤͑̅̃̆͞È̡̪̠̟̠͊̅̽̋͆̅̕.͎͚͙͉̰̹̎̓̍̈́̀̈̀̂̀͜͡
    We are the only party capable of removing the wreckage in such a swift and peaceful manner. Vote SAHP.
    edited November 2016
    That's odd, it just leads me to the discord main page...

EDIT: I am using the browser version of discord though...
    edited November 2016

Members of the National Violence Party are already clearing the wreckage as we speak. Of course, this will take a long time with only volunteer work. When I am elected, all Reapers will participate in taking apart the Aurora piece by piece and sending it off into the Dropoff. Each Reaper will have a certain time frame in which they must spend clearing out the Aurora. Of course, everyone in the NVP are ready and willing to cooperate and help clear the wreckage once I am elected as the Party's representative.

Sandsharks are already helping clear out smaller rubble buried beneath the sand (thanks to efforts of merging the Greater Ambush Association with the National Violence Party). Stalkers have also been using scraps for their own gain. Although previously neutral, they have been willing to clean up the Shallows and Creepvine Forests on behalf of the National Violence Party, due to the dangers of having Reapers entering those areas.

My estimate is that we should be able to clear out the entire affected area within four to six months, and the Aurora dismantled within a year (according to our most recent calculations). We can then make efforts to repopulate the lost homes and then once that is all said and done, we will once again have a balanced ecosystem.

Members of the National Violence Party are already clearing the wreckage as we speak.

Where is your authorization from President Peeper? If you don't have one, then this is a heinous breach of code and conduct.

Members of the National Violence Party are already clearing the wreckage as we speak.

Where is your authorization from President Peeper? If you don't have one, then this is a heinous breach of code and conduct.

Authorization to clear out obviously hazardous technology from our seas? What has this ocean come to?

I follow no code of conduct except the code of nature. We need to combine our efforts to rid this large pile of rubbish so we can continue to live in a productive ecosystem.
    edited November 2016

Authorization to clear out obviously hazardous technology from our seas? What has this ocean come to?

I follow no code of conduct except the code of nature. We need to combine our efforts to rid this large pile of rubbish so we can continue to live in a productive ecosystem.

There could be things of use in that wreckage. What if the cure to the Carar plague is in the wreckage, and you simply threw it away with no thoughts of your fellow species? And as for code, you know as well as the rest of us that a project that big can only be greenlit by the leader of the biome, of which their currently is none, or the President.

There could be things of use in that wreckage. What if the cure to the Carar plague is in the wreckage, and you simply threw it away with no thoughts of your fellow species? And as for code, you know as well as the rest of us that a project that big can only be greenlit by the leader of the biome, of which their currently is none, or the President.

The chances of that is astronomical, nor would any fish in this sea understand how to use such technology, nor would such a risk assume that we should leave it to plague our seas more. The Party's decision is final.

The chances of that is astronomical, nor would any fish in this sea understand how to use such technology, nor would such a risk assume that we should leave it to plague our seas more. The Party's decision is final.

Your party's decision goes against our laws. I plead with our President to enforce said laws, and allow this issue to be dealt with in the correct fashion. If this is allowed to continue, what next? Do you think the NVP will accept any leader but themselves? I, for one, fear that the NVP will attempt to push us into a dictatorship, and do not believe that that is how our society should be run.

Your party's decision goes against our laws. I plead with our President to enforce said laws, and allow this issue to be dealt with in the correct fashion. If this is allowed to continue, what next? Do you think the NVP will accept any leader but themselves? I, for one, fear that the NVP will attempt to push us into a dictatorship, and do not believe that that is how our society should be run.

Dictatorship? If removing a threat to the ecosystem is considered dictatorship, by all means, let dictatorship rule!

But regardless, this is an exaggeration. Our Party has always been a majority Naturalist; meaning we regard nature as the only power worthy of maintaining an ecosystem, and that governmental authority against this should be minimal. Removing the Aurora as soon as possible is what is necessary, rather than waiting for an "official" order to do so. Then we can back away and let nature take it's course, the cycle continuing as normal.

What we currently have is leading to a system of government which does not allow nature to take its course... which may lead to disgusting ideas such as Predator Genocide or Carniphobia.
    edited November 2016

Dictatorship? If removing a threat to the ecosystem is considered dictatorship, by all means, let dictatorship rule!

But regardless, this is an exaggeration. Our Party has always been a majority Naturalist; meaning we regard nature as the only power worthy of maintaining an ecosystem, and that governmental authority against this should be minimal. Removing the Aurora as soon as possible is what is necessary, rather than waiting for an "official" order to do so. Then we can back away and let nature take it's course, the cycle continuing as normal.

What we currently have is leading to a system of government which does not allow nature to take its course... which may lead to disgusting ideas such as Predator Genocide or Carniphobia.

I rest my case. The NVP has no interest in participating in a democratic election. If they lose, they will simply attempt a hostile takeover. I call upon President Peeper to condemn this treachery, this treason!
    And as for a predator genocide, you seem to forget that I too am a predator. I have no interest in shunning my own kind.

I rest my case. The NVP has no interest in participating in a democratic election. If they lose, they will simply attempt a hostile takeover. I call upon President Peeper to condemn this treachery, this treason!

You fool! We need not take over!

If we lose, we are the food-chain's top predator.

If we win, we are still the food-chain's top predator.

We have nothing to lose but our homes, our families, our ecosystem. Systematic power is of no interest to us. What is of interest to us is that we have a stable and healthy ecosystem, running as it should.

We have nothing to lose but our homes, our families, our ecosystem. Systematic power is of no interest to us. What is of interest to us is that we have a stable and healthy ecosystem, running as it should.

And the best way to have that is for everything to be carefully maintained, without anyone undertaking massive service projects unauthorized. Or have you forgotten that others live near the wreckage? That you could be destroying their homes as we speak? There are reasons for rules. The keep this society safe. We are no longer barbarians, and we will not return to that standard.

And the best way to have that is for everything to be carefully maintained, without anyone undertaking massive service projects unauthorized. Or have you forgotten that others live near the wreckage? That you could be destroying their homes as we speak? There are reasons for rules. The keep this society safe. We are no longer barbarians, and we will not return to that standard.

Barbarians? Following the same guideline in which this sea has been run and successfully maintained is barbarism? So be it. What next?

"Prey rights"?

The same philosophy that those Communists preach? That would result in the extinction of all predators.

The wreckage does not belong there, and we will remove it. It has destroyed and killed hundreds of sea dwellers and thousands of homes. The last thing I am concerned about is some new fish selfishly occupying the space of a unnatural disaster. And nor will I allow it to remain. And nor will I allow the wreckage to plague our seas, for metal to kill off Coral plants and animals.

Barbarians? Following the same guideline in which this sea has been run and successfully maintained is barbarism? So be it. What next?

"Prey rights"?

The same philosophy that those Communists preach? That would result in the extinction of all predators.

The wreckage does not belong there, and we will remove it. It has destroyed and killed hundreds of sea dwellers and thousands of homes. The last thing I am concerned about is some new fish selfishly occupying the space of a unnatural disaster. And nor will I allow it to remain. And nor will I allow the wreckage to plague our seas, for metal to kill off Coral plants and animals.

People of Subnautica. Is this the kind of fish you want running our government? One who has no notion of rules? One who will simply do as he wishes, no matter what the rest of us think is best? The NVP are nothing but a group of super-predators. Leviathan class. A danger to every other organism is this ocean. They care not for anyone but themselves. They don't deserve this position.