What Of The Phantom Leviathan?

2»

Comments

• ResolutionBlazeResolutionBlaze The Dunes Join Date: 2016-04-06 Member: 215392Members
    Jamezorg wrote: »
    This game isn't going to cater to your eye candy. It needs to be a game first or else it won't sell for s***. It needs to take advantage of the fear of the unknown and the fear of the ocean, or else it won't sell for s***. Leviathans make that fear amplified tenfold. And when there's a grand spanking total of TWO lethal leviathans in your game, it needs to be amplified more. More unknown, more mystery, and more danger for threats far bigger than yourself. The Phantom Leviathan would play that part very well.

I don't exactly have anything to say about what you said before this, it was all pretty legit. But with this, I'm sorry I don't agree. A fear of the unknown stems from something that's actually unknown. In Subnautica new players will easily come to the conclusion that big monsters are bad (with the exception of the reefback, I'll get onto that glorious bastard in a second), so you need some more larger creatures to ease new players into the mindset that anything can act differently, and that you shouldn't trust anything. Say if a new player comes across the phantom leviathan and its peaceful, and they think "Oh, okay! That's cool!" and then they get to the Sea Dragon and have no idea what to think. They get closer and get thrashed.

Take for example Jacksepticeye's first encounter with a Reefback. He flipped out because it was big and scary, but he eventually came to realise they were okay.

And I think two lethal leviathans is a great number. Leviathans are HUGE, there shouldn't be too many variations. We have a lot of smaller creatures that we need to take care of as well.

And the same thing applies, don't take my shit seriously dude, it's all opinion based and you're still awesome.
    I just think you want another member for the NVP, dammit :wink:

I would disagree; fear of the unknown and letting down your guard are two different things. When you hear the Leviathan roar for the first time ever, you become confused, fearful, anticipation building up... since the roar makes it unclear how close it is, if it is at all. Thus having new leviathans, even bigger and meaner than those previously, makes you start to question what other things are still in the seas.

There are many fears which combine with the fear of the unknown; the fear of the ocean in general (somewhat related but not exactly to fear of the Unknown), the feeling of danger and lack of safety, helplessness, so on. When a player gets a Seamoth or Cyclops, that safety is present... thus there must be something to take that safety away. And that is what the Lost River needs; something to make a Seamoth or Cyclops less safe.

Let's meet in the middle then: The Phantom Leviathan should be hostile, but only a little bit; it cannot be provoked easily or won't immediately attack you unless you meet certain conditions. Thus the danger is still there and fear, but it is not as "hostile" as the Reaper, which will attack you on sight.

I do think that we should have more graceful giants... More creatures like the Reefback whose purpose is to stimulate enviroment in some way, but otherwise just be peaceful creatures to look at.
  • JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    Let's meet in the middle then: The Phantom Leviathan should be hostile, but only a little bit; it cannot be provoked easily or won't immediately attack you unless you meet certain conditions. Thus the danger is still there and fear, but it is not as "hostile" as the Reaper, which will attack you on sight.

I do think that we should have more graceful giants... More creatures like the Reefback whose purpose is to stimulate enviroment in some way, but otherwise just be peaceful creatures to look at.

Well, it's not our call to make I suppose. We've outlined two arguments (fear of the unknown and letting your guard down) so now I suppose it's up to the devs to decide, if they even decide to add the creature at all, which I hope they do it just looks so god damn awesome. I'm surprised there isn't a picture of the beast on this thread yet. I'll do the honour and put up the most widely known pic:
    6infax4h5hm1.jpg

But wow, what a great discussion :D It's rare to see an actual conversation rather than it just dissolving into personal attacks and calling each other stupid and the like. Well fought, challenger!

• RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    edited November 2016
    Morph_Guy wrote: »
    Maybe it
    To me it just looks more like a slow moving filter feeder than something that would try to kill you, and there's already enough predators in Subnautica.

I dunno if you understand how games work...

A survival game requires survical, don't ya know.

We already have River Prowlers, Mesmers, Bleeders, Crabsquids and Acid Brine that we have to survive in the Lost River, we don't need another predator.

Doesn't have to be a predator to pose a threat. Look at Monoblos and Diablos from the Monster Hunter series, or heck even the hippo in real life. Or the Gasopod in our own Subnautica. A creature doesn't have to be a predator to pose a risk, nor does it honestly need to be outright aggressive towards you with the intention of causing you harm. It could simply be defensive, only attacking when provoked, or maybe it indirectly causes you harm (The devs suggested the Sea Dragon for example could push you around with the currents made by his fins when swimming)

That being said, I agree that not EVERYTHING down there has to be a lethal threat - predator or not. Would be nice if it was a serene creature like the Reefbacks and (not as large) Ghost Rays. A change of pace from 'everything in this world is out to get you' and all that.
  • ResolutionBlazeResolutionBlaze The Dunes Join Date: 2016-04-06 Member: 215392Members
    Rezca wrote: »
    Maybe it
    To me it just looks more like a slow moving filter feeder than something that would try to kill you, and there's already enough predators in Subnautica.

We already have River Prowlers, Mesmers, Bleeders, Crabsquids and Acid Brine that we have to survive in the Lost River, we don't need another predator.

Who says it has to be a predator to be a threat? Look at Monoblos and Diablos from the Monster Hunter series, or heck even the hippo in real life. Or the Gasopod in our own Subnautica. A creature doesn't have to be a predator to pose a risk, nor does it honestly need to be outright aggressive towards you with the intention of causing you harm. It could simply be defensive, only attacking when provoked, or maybe it indirectly causes you harm (The devs suggested the Sea Dragon for example could push you around with the currents made by his fins when swimming)

That being said, I agree that not EVERYTHING down there has to be a lethal threat - predator or not.

I'd like to point out one last thing:

note that the creature is called the "Leviathan". The Phantom Leviathan. I found this on the Subnautica Wiki:

"the 'Leviathan' part of its name is a classification given to extremely large and dangerous predators."

Thus, if we are abiding by what this is saying, since the creature is termed a Leviathan, it would have to be a dangerous predator.

note that the creature is called the "Leviathan". The Phantom Leviathan. I found this on the Subnautica Wiki:

"the 'Leviathan' part of its name is a classification given to extremely large and dangerous predators."

Thus, if we are abiding by what this is saying, since the creature is termed a Leviathan, it would have to be a dangerous predator.

Oh. Well I-... oh...
    Jamezorg wrote: »

Oh. Well I-... oh...

I do fully agree though that we need more gentle giants.
  • Morph_GuyMorph_Guy Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216034Members
    edited November 2016
    Maybe it

Who says it has to be a predator to be a threat? Look at Monoblos and Diablos from the Monster Hunter series, or heck even the hippo in real life. Or the Gasopod in our own Subnautica. A creature doesn't have to be a predator to pose a risk, nor does it honestly need to be outright aggressive towards you with the intention of causing you harm. It could simply be defensive, only attacking when provoked, or maybe it indirectly causes you harm (The devs suggested the Sea Dragon for example could push you around with the currents made by his fins when swimming)

That being said, I agree that not EVERYTHING down there has to be a lethal threat - predator or not.

The name could be changed though, it's not like they already programmed it to be hostile.
    I do fully agree though that we need more gentle giants.

Yea. I still think the Phantom is a prime candidate, but the name means what the name means I guess. Like the Guy of Morph says, however, the name could be changed, so we don't really know. We'll just have to find out :)
    edited November 2016
    The River Prowler was called the Lost River Boneshark and then the Spine Eel before it's final name was chosen, and the Airsack was renamed to the Bladderfish recently, so creatures being renamed is nothing new.

I also just remembered that the Sea Emperor was called the "Emperor Leviathan" or "Grand Leviathan" before it was renamed to the Sea Emperor.
    Maybe it

The name could be changed though, it's not like they already programmed it to be hostile.

True; right now the name "Phantom Leviathan" is unofficial isn't it? Even the definition of leviathans in this could be subject to change, though I feel the phantom's name is more likely to change than the leviathan definition.

It could still be called a leviathan even if just as a misnomer, though again giving it a different name would probably just be simpler.
    edited November 2016
    The River Prowler was called the Lost River Boneshark and then the Spine Eel before it's final name was chosen, and the Airsack was renamed to the Bladderfish recently, so creatures being renamed is nothing new.

Edit: I also just remembered that the Sea Emperor was called the "Emperor Leviathan" or "Grand Leviathan" before it was called the Sea Emperor.

Well, I would argue that-

We interrupt this debate to bring you a message from Bonecruncher the Reaper Leviathan, representative of the National Violence Party:

*sad music plays with a black and white filter, zooming in on the blank face of a Spadefish*

Bonecruncher: What do you think when you hear the word, "Infrastructure"

Spadefish: I think... Ruin.

*the word "ruin" is dramatically displayed in the center of the screen as the Spadefish says the word, then it transitions to a Peeper*

Peeper: ... Tragedy...

*same thing happens, transitions to a Gaspod*

Gaspod: ... Homelessness...

*...*

Bonecruncher: With the recent events of the Aurora, many ecosystems were destroyed, and many hundreds more dirtied with technology and scraps. When you can no longer feel safe in your own Safe Shallows, then there is something wrong with the direction this leadership has taken. As of this moment, the EPCA is winning the election, yet they have done nothing to attend to the real issue of the Aurora and will continue to do nothing... It would seem all hope is lost... except that there is still one party that can change this. The National Violence Party. We believe that the best way to deal with foreign threats is a non-negotiable approach. In our party, YOU come first. Our members have volunteered to dismantle the Aurora, and Stalkers encouraged to clean up your homes, and help your communities grow and flourish with a thriving ecosystem.

Other parties would do little with the Aurora, or ignore it entirely..

*cuts to a Reefback swimming away from the Aurora wreckage*

But cast your vote for the National Violence Party today, and we will take action to:

- Repopulate the lost ecosystems

- Balance the ecosystem

- Eliminate all foreign threats and devices

Without your vote, your community is as good as gone. Fight for your right to fight.

brought to you by the National Violence Party

• subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members

Edit: I also just remembered that the Sea Emperor was called the "Emperor Leviathan" or "Grand Leviathan" before it was called the Sea Emperor.

Well, I would argue that-

We interrupt this debate to bring you a message from Bonecruncher the Reaper Leviathan, representative of the National Violence Party:
    *sad music plays with a black and white filter, zooming in on the blank face of a Spadefish*

Bonecruncher: What do you think when you hear the word, "Infrastructure"

Spadefish: I think... Ruin.

*the word "ruin" is dramatically displayed in the center of the screen as the Spadefish says the word, then it transitions to a Peeper*

Peeper: ... Tragedy...

*same thing happens, transitions to a Gaspod*

Gaspod: ... Homelessness...

*...*

Bonecruncher: With the recent events of the Aurora, many ecosystems were destroyed, and many hundreds more dirtied with technology and scraps. When you can no longer feel safe in your own Safe Shallows, then there is something wrong with the direction this leadership has taken. As of this moment, the EPCA is winning the election, yet they have done nothing to attend to the real issue of the Aurora and will continue to do nothing... It would seem all hope is lost... except that there is still one party that can change this. The National Violence Party. We believe that the best way to deal with foreign threats is a non-negotiable approach. In our party, YOU come first. Our members have volunteered to dismantle the Aurora, and Stalkers encouraged to clean up your homes, and help your communities grow and flourish with a thriving ecosystem.

Other parties would do little with the Aurora, or ignore it entirely..

*cuts to a Reefback swimming away from the Aurora wreckage*

But cast your vote for the National Violence Party today, and we will take action to:

- Repopulate the lost ecosystems

- Balance the ecosystem

- Eliminate all foreign threats and devices

Without your vote, your community is as good as gone. Fight for your right to fight.

brought to you by the National Violence Party

It's SPREADING! :D Also, I support the petition to have all quotes from NVP spokesfish and officials to be typed in an excessively aggressive font, and bolded.
  • Julian1337331nailuJJulian1337331nailuJ The Grand Reef Gubtorial Election Or Something. Join Date: 2016-11-12 Member: 223824Members
    *Suddenly The Rich Clan Emergency Relief Teams Come Because The Distress Signal Was Received By Them. Then They Send In Scanning Drones To See If Any Survivors Are There Or Alive* (Rich Clan Scanning Drones Come In 4 Types. Type 1. The Space Scanners. These Are Scanners Propelled By Energy Propulsion Systems Equipped With High Communication Antennas To Receive And Send Information. Also Equipped With Cameras And Lights. Plus Night Vision. Type 2. The Land Scanners. Type 2 A Is A Land Scanner That Is Small And Uses Wheels To Move. Equipped With The Same Communication That The Space Scanners Use. Also Has The Same Cameras And Lights. Type 2 B Is The Same As Type 2 A But With Legs Instead. Type 3. The Air Scanners. These Are Just Combine Wasteland Scanners. Type 4. The Water Scanners. These Look Like Tiny Submarines With The Same Things As Type 2 A, Type 2 B, And The Space Scanners. And The Water Scanners Are Propelled With A Turbine. When A Survivor Is Found The Scanner Sends The Signal. Then The Relief Team Ships Get There And The Survivors Can Be Saved.)
    edited November 2016
    *Suddenly The Rich Clan Emergency Relief Teams Come Because The Distress Signal Was Received By Them. Then They Send In Scanning Drones To See If Any Survivors Are There Or Alive* (Rich Clan Scanning Drones Come In 4 Types. Type 1. The Space Scanners. These Are Scanners Propelled By Energy Propulsion Systems Equipped With High Communication Antennas To Receive And Send Information. Also Equipped With Cameras And Lights. Plus Night Vision. Type 2. The Land Scanners. Type 2 A Is A Land Scanner That Is Small And Uses Wheels To Move. Equipped With The Same Communication That The Space Scanners Use. Also Has The Same Cameras And Lights. Type 2 B Is The Same As Type 2 A But With Legs Instead. Type 3. The Air Scanners. These Are Just Combine Wasteland Scanners. Type 4. The Water Scanners. These Look Like Tiny Submarines With The Same Things As Type 2 A, Type 2 B, And The Space Scanners. And The Water Scanners Are Propelled With A Turbine. When A Survivor Is Found The Scanner Sends The Signal. Then The Relief Team Ships Get There And The Survivors Can Be Saved.)

I think you posted in the wrong thread.
  • Julian1337331nailuJJulian1337331nailuJ The Grand Reef Gubtorial Election Or Something. Join Date: 2016-11-12 Member: 223824Members
    No I Did Not. Its Because Of The Thing For The Elections. In the Main Thing I Posted My Location.
    edited November 2016
    No I Did Not. Its Because Of The Thing For The Elections. In the Main Thing I Posted My Location.

Which is still the wrong thread. This thread is about the so-called "Phantom Leviathan", not the forum game that popped up.

• subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members
    I Don't Know.

Alright, you officially confuse me. Is English your first language? Do you oppose most punctuation? What is the "Rich Clan?" Why does every one of your posts read like you're trying to tell a story? Are you role playing across the entire forums?
    You still seem like a pretty cool dude though.