What Of The Phantom Leviathan?

ResolutionBlazeResolutionBlaze The Dunes Join Date: 2016-04-06 Member: 215392Members
The Lost River is here... but what of the Phantom?

Was the Phantom scrapped? Or did they focus on the Sea Dragon first? Post launch? What's going on?

Comments

• DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    The moment the Phantom showed up on Sketchfab, the devs were clear it was for testing purposes and that there's no guarantee whatsoever the creature will make it into the game. They want to, but there's not a plan nor a purpose for the Phantom at this time. If it is added, it'll be post-V1.0.
  • Morph_GuyMorph_Guy Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216034Members
    The Lost River is here... but what of the Phantom?

Was the Phantom scrapped? Or did they focus on the Sea Dragon first? Post launch? What's going on?

They said it would take too much time to program before v1.0 so if it is ever added it will be after v1.0
  • 999Antonio3849999Antonio3849 Emperor Aquarium Join Date: 2016-10-23 Member: 223324Members
    I would actullay like to see the phantom in the LR but then I would die when i leave my base (Yes it is in the LR Juncion)
  • 999Antonio3849999Antonio3849 Emperor Aquarium Join Date: 2016-10-23 Member: 223324Members
    I CANT SPELL OK (like put autocorrect here devs)
    If they ever added the Ghost leviathan I actually think they should make it peaceful.
  • ResolutionBlazeResolutionBlaze The Dunes Join Date: 2016-04-06 Member: 215392Members
    Morph_Guy wrote: »
    If they ever added the Ghost leviathan I actually think they should make it peaceful.

Ewww a peaceful leviathan?

That's what Reefbacks and Emperors are for.
    ya your right Blaze >:)
    edited November 2016
    To me it just looks more like a slow moving filter feeder than something that would try to kill you, and there's already enough predators in Subnautica.
    Actully guys it looks like that but it also looks predatory enough that I just gave it tentacles and put it on a school project now it is currently hanging on a will with the best of the whole school of that project
    Still I want that thing guarding my LR bases (I have 2 right now) But then it looks like it might eat me
    now that I think about it it does look like a filter feeder but the kind like it will like eat rockgrubs and other things PS I found rockgrubs in the sparse reef (Build 4062 I think meh its build 4000 somthing0
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    To me it just looks more like a slow moving filter feeder than something that would try to kill you, and there's already enough predators in Subnautica.

While I agree wholeheartedly with this statement, many see that a fully passive creature is boring. So, a solution to both wants is to make the creature defensive, like the Gasopod. It doesn't seek the player constantly, but will attack if the player gets too close.
  • ResolutionBlazeResolutionBlaze The Dunes Join Date: 2016-04-06 Member: 215392Members

I dunno if you understand how games work...

A survival game requires survical, don't ya know.
    edited November 2016
    Maybe it

We already have River Prowlers, Mesmers, Bleeders, Crabsquids and Acid Brine that we have to survive in the Lost River, we don't need another predator.
  • Kyman201Kyman201 Washington State Join Date: 2016-01-23 Member: 211880Members
    @ResolutionBlaze - Because of your avatar I'm reading all your lines in Bill's voice. Thanks.
    edited November 2016
    Maybe it

We already have River Prowlers, Mesmers, Bleeders, Crabsquids and Acid Brine that we need to survive in the Lost River, we don't need another predator.

Because they are such a big threat when you have a Seamoth, a Mech, a Cyclops....

So you want to drive through the Lost River with little challenge? A balance needs to be kept, and right now there seems to be very little besides Crabsquids that pose a threat to Seamoth or higher targets. And considering this is a late game area, that is unacceptable.

Kyman201 wrote: »
    @ResolutionBlaze - Because of your avatar I'm reading all your lines in Bill's voice. Thanks.

Youre welcome
  • JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    So you want to drive through the Lost River with little challenge? A balance needs to be kept, and right now there seems to be very little besides Crabsquids that pose a threat to Seamoth or higher targets. And considering this is a late game area, that is unacceptable.

Maybe a brine waterfall that blocks you off from the ILZ and heavily damages your vehicle without appropriate mid-game hull reinforcements? I'm just saying, we need some dangers in the climate, not just dangerous creatures, we've got enough of those. You talk about balance, and right now the balance is heavily skewed in favour of large predatory sea creatures. The reefbacks are okay, but they aren't something I can sit and look at for hours, where the Phantom Leviathan would be a creature that I could just love and not have to worry about seeing. I'd want to see it, in fact.

And the Lost River isn't exactly a late game area, it's more the arse end of mid-game, I reckon (near the end of mid game for all of you non-British folk out there. Got your backs). The real danger comes in when you enter the ILZ, famous for its lava larvae and sea dragons. Don't forget the warpers that teleport you out of your Sea Hulk and the lava lizards that are ready to eat you when exposed. The Lost River is good as it is, and I'd be happy if they added a big peaceful creature to it since just after it you've got the most challenging area in the game, which does require a lot of dodging larvae, energy management, steering clear of the dragon(s).

Then when you're deep enough, exo suiting over stepping stones that if you fall off will lead to your fiery death (whilst also dodging a dragon, being careful not to be warped out of your Suit, so on). You're right, balance is key, its just we don't need more dangerous creatures, that would bee pushing it a little bit (unless they are in reasonably easy places already, such as the sparse reef. That could do with a bit of danger).
    It would actually I think it would be like nice for the Phantom Leviathan to be peaceful it would just make it like so your like Oh this game isn't as deadly as I thought then you go to ILZ then boom those happy thoughts are gone plus I justs want a giant peaceful creature near my LR base and it wont be a reefback
    edited November 2016
    Maybe it

We already have River Prowlers, Mesmers, Bleeders, Crabsquids and Acid Brine that we need to survive in the Lost River, we don't need another predator.

Because they are such a big threat when you have a Seamoth, a Mech, a Cyclops....

How would it even damage your vehicles if it was aggressive? It has no arms and no claws, it doesn't even have any teeth.

look at the head model it has teeth
    edited November 2016

It has 4 small "teeth" and a spike, all of which appear to be made of a soft membrane.

I see a spike, which Id say is used more for self defence than anything else (pretty poor self defence, though, because it's a huge snake. A forward facing defence mechanism wouldn't do much). So, maybe it skewers its victims with that spike but how does it eat them after that then? I mean, the spike could be retractable, so that it could just eat you after you're immobilised... but that's a stretch, even for me!
    Please don't be hostile, Phantom... please... You know what, this deserves a poll! We haven't had enough of those! And it's sure to end in not a heated argument, like that discussion about crafting times did! Oh wait...
    edited November 2016
    Jamezorg wrote: »

Maybe a brine waterfall that blocks you off from the ILZ and heavily damages your vehicle without appropriate mid-game hull reinforcements? I'm just saying, we need some dangers in the climate, not just dangerous creatures, we've got enough of those. You talk about balance, and right now the balance is heavily skewed in favour of large predatory sea creatures. The reefbacks are okay, but they aren't something I can sit and look at for hours, where the Phantom Leviathan would be a creature that I could just love and not have to worry about seeing. I'd want to see it, in fact.

And the Lost River isn't exactly a late game area, it's more the arse end of mid-game, I reckon (near the end of mid game for all of you non-British folk out there. Got your backs). The real danger comes in when you enter the ILZ, famous for its lava larvae and sea dragons. Don't forget the warpers that teleport you out of your Sea Hulk and the lava lizards that are ready to eat you when exposed. The Lost River is good as it is, and I'd be happy if they added a big peaceful creature to it since just after it you've got the most challenging area in the game, which does require a lot of dodging larvae, energy management, steering clear of the dragon(s).

Then when you're deep enough, exo suiting over stepping stones that if you fall off will lead to your fiery death (whilst also dodging a dragon, being careful not to be warped out of your Suit, so on). You're right, balance is key, its just we don't need more dangerous creatures, that would bee pushing it a little bit (unless they are in reasonably easy places already, such as the sparse reef. That could do with a bit of danger).

Of course we need more dangerous creatures. By the time you get to that point in the game, you have a Seamoth and Cyclops, maybe a Mech, and that negates half the creatures in that area! You think brine is going to pose much of a threat? It's stagnant, easily avoidable.

This game isn't going to cater to your eye candy. It needs to be a game first or else it won't sell for s***. It needs to take advantage of the fear of the unknown and the fear of the ocean, or else it won't sell for s***. Leviathans make that fear amplified tenfold. And when there's a grand spanking total of TWO lethal leviathans in your game, it needs to be amplified more. More unknown, more mystery, and more danger for threats far bigger than yourself. The Phantom Leviathan would play that part very well.

If you want to watch something for hours, there's an easy solution... USE CREATIVE MODE!

WOAH! I figured it out!

Don't take my sass personally xD
    the problem with the brine is that some parts are not avoidable like the falls covering the ILZ enterance
    yea i,ve got the model pulled up here on my screen it looks to like EVIL to be peaceful
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    Jamezorg wrote: »

Of course we need more dangerous creatures. By the time you get to that point in the game, you have a Seamoth and Cyclops, maybe a Mech, and that negates half the creatures in that area! You think brine is going to pose much of a threat? It's stagnant, easily avoidable.

This game isn't going to cater to your eye candy. It needs to be a game first or else it won't sell for s***. It needs to take advantage of the fear of the unknown and the fear of the ocean, or else it won't sell for s***. Leviathans make that fear amplified tenfold. And when there's a grand spanking total of TWO lethal leviathans in your game, it needs to be amplified more. More unknown, more mystery, and more danger for threats far bigger than yourself. The Phantom Leviathan would play that part very well.

If you want to watch something for hours, there's an easy solution... USE CREATIVE MODE!

WOAH! I figured it out!

You know, your wishes for the game aren't the only ones that exist. Not everyone is drawn to this game for one of those "unforgiving" experiences. I am with you that the LR could use another dangerous creature, but there's no need for the Phantom to be it. If nothing else, the Phantom being non-aggressive would defy post-Reaper expectations, putting players at ease only to be smashed when they encounter the Sea Dragon next.
    edited November 2016
    More unknown, more mystery, and more danger for threats far bigger than yourself. The Phantom Leviathan would play that part very well.
    How does something with no visible way of harming you other than a mouth with no teeth play that part very well?

I don't exactly have anything to say about what you said before this, it was all pretty legit. But with this, I'm sorry I don't agree. A fear of the unknown stems from something that's actually unknown. In Subnautica new players will easily come to the conclusion that big monsters are bad (with the exception of the reefback, I'll get onto that glorious bastard in a second), so you need some more larger creatures to ease new players into the mindset that anything can act differently, and that you shouldn't trust anything. Say if a new player comes across the phantom leviathan and its peaceful, and they think "Oh, okay! That's cool!" and then they get to the Sea Dragon and have no idea what to think. They get closer and get thrashed.

Take for example Jacksepticeye's first encounter with a Reefback. He flipped out because it was big and scary, but he eventually came to realise they were okay.

And I think two lethal leviathans is a great number. Leviathans are HUGE, there shouldn't be too many variations. We have a lot of smaller creatures that we need to take care of as well.

And the same thing applies, don't take my shit seriously dude, it's all opinion based and you're still awesome.
    I just think you want another member for the NVP, dammit :wink: