Favorite Unused Concept Art Creature?

Morph_GuyMorph_Guy Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216034Members
What is your favorite concept art creature that is not currently in or planned to be in Subnautica?

You can find the concept art here: http://subnautica.wikia.com/wiki/Concept_Art#Life_forms

My personal favorite is this one:
latest?cb=20150923125332

Comments

• AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
    edited November 2016
    I'd personally like to hitch a ride on victor here (I love the grand reef):
    latest?cb=20150517231631

I'm actually a little in love with the yellow four finned ones and the large three eyed ones... imagine how different grand-reef would be with this unique fauna?
  • subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members
    edited November 2016
    I think it might be a tie between:

The safe-shallows whatever awesome biome that is worm looking thing- just because the concept seems so alien and bizarre.
    hq4vficui9dk.jpg

Or...

The animal that the sandshark is chasing in this concept art, just because it's so ridiculous. Seriously, every time I see it I can't help but laugh.
    mtwvidt99t3i.jpg
  • Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
    I mean, these ones are pretty good contenders too.

1024?cb=20150525212414

1024?cb=20150923125032
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    edited November 2016
    I think it might be a tie between:

The safe-shallows worm looking thing- just because the concept seems so alien and bizarre.
    hq4vficui9dk.jpg

Or...

The animal that the sandshark is chasing in this concept art, just because it's so ridiculous. Seriously, every time I see it I can't help but laugh.
    mtwvidt99t3i.jpg

The misshapen banana-starfish is a huge favorite of mine too. I would love for it to be implemented as a rare fish, like the fauna equivalent of the Sea Crown. And you know, I never realized until you said "safe-shallows" that the biome in that picture is something distinct from any biome in the game. It's a pretty biome, too.

864fi9gihxh8.png
    Hmm, so aside from the banana-starfish, I think I am predisposed to bottom dwellers. I have hope that pink critter from the Twisty Bridges concept art will make it into the game post-V1.0, but my Number One is the grabcrab. I like to imagine it as a commensalistic partner to rock punchers, scavenging all the stuff they drop.

9o3ti4z64ojn.png
    My feelings on the lighthouse turtle are a bit more up-and-down. For the longest time I felt it would be the perfect resident for the Sparse Reef, having the greens to fit the scenery, the lighthouse quality to contrast the area's desolation, and the bulbs that would make it easy to create a link with the orbs in the neighboring Grand Reef. But I accepted that the Sparse Reef is marked by its emptiness and that not all creatures can be put/have a purpose to be put into the game. Only now the devs have placed reefbacks everywhere to a fault and I feel some variation is in order. Take the reefbacks out of the Sparse Reef and put lighthouse turtles in. The area suits them much better and they can have barnacles on their backs too.

Shout-out to the witch's grasp provided its flora and not fauna. I can't quite tell. It's not interesting as fauna, imo, but as another plant to watch out for in a way different than the other three, that's fun.
  • TheLordEternalTheLordEternal The Earth Join Date: 2015-08-07 Member: 206851Members
    edited November 2016
    These guys are pretty neat.
    latest?cb=20150923130408

Though this guy, Well i cant tell what exactly but i think its a favorite just from how it seems like such a massive beast. And it's apparently rising up from the Dunes.
    You can just imagine it surfacing and snacking on a reaper. The giant jellies are pretty cool too.
    latest?cb=20150917194504
  • BioluminescentBobBioluminescentBob Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221908Members
    edited November 2016
    I like the ghost leviathan most but this is my second favorite.
    f1xm1xo3k1t2.jpg I think it would be cool if when we touched it (Using a special touching animation or hitting it with a submarine.) it would give off light, just like on the concept art.
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    Hey, there's TWO survivors in that concept art! Foul! FOUL!
  • Jones108Jones108 Join Date: 2012-12-10 Member: 174670Members
    edited November 2016
    Most favorite one is def the whale. I hope we gonna get to see it one day.
  • Morph_GuyMorph_Guy Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216034Members
    Jones108 wrote: »
    Most favorite one is def the whale. I hope we gonna get to see it one day.

One of the devs said they would like to have in the game, so maybe after v1.0.
  • JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    f1xm1xo3k1t2.jpg I think it would be cool if when we touched it (Using a special touching animation or hitting it with a submarine.) it would give off light, just like on the concept art.

My favourite unused concept are the fish swimming in the background of that picture. They're pretty cool, pretty simplistic and I imagine them being just half as big as the player or bigger, like a sunfish.
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    Jamezorg wrote: »

My favourite unused concept are the fish swimming in the background of that picture. They're pretty cool, pretty simplistic and I imagine them being just half as big as the player or bigger, like a sunfish.

Those fish sort of remind me of the electric fairies in the "Whatever You Imagine" sequence from The Pagemaster. For reference, they get a closeup at 0:55. Always loved that design.

Purple Winged Whale for the Arctic Biome 2k17!
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    One of the devs said they would like to have in the game, so maybe after v1.0.

Could I have a link? I would love first hand confirmation that this might become a thing.
    edited November 2016
    If you look around the concept art you can find a lot of neat critters, like this little one in the lower-left foreground:
    latest?cb=20150517232055
    Also, for sheer creepiness:
    latest?cb=20160731151519