Temporary fix for recent crashes [build 40062]

2»

Comments

• 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    edited November 2016
    So, folks, looks like we've got a fix for the terrain overwriting our base, and looks like we haven't been deleting everything we really should have been (should be deleting the loose batch files in the main save folder too, but not the ones that our bases are on).
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    So you're going to want to make note of which camera batch files you've got modified terrain on, and delete every file in both cache directories AND THE MAIN SAVE FOLDER besides the files that have modified data (so look through all of your bases with the F1 window open). EDIT: and of course don't delete the four main save game files which are:
    • gameinfo.json
    • global-objects.bin
    • scene-objects.bin
    • screenshot.jpg (<- that's the little thumbnail showing you a preview of the save when you go to load)

Watch IGP explain below:

• frazmifrazmi Kentucky Join Date: 2016-03-19 Member: 214471Members
    edited November 2016
    I was having the same stutters and crashes, consistently when near a particular thermal vent. I tried deleting the files as suggested in IGPs video, and the stutter and the crashes are gone. Also, the save game loads in about 15 seconds instead of the previous 2 minutes.

Edit: The save game load times quickly balloon back up to 2 minutes. Re-deletion of the files causes game reload to drop back to 15 seconds.
  • FrustratedFrustrated Join Date: 2016-11-04 Member: 223643Members
    If it's just the bases, or not much, you can use the terraformer to remove the terrain. It works through your base and doesn't harm anything. It's quite satisfying making your base reappear! I used it when the underwater islands were 'reset' and half my base there was buried.
  • FirancilFirancil Join Date: 2016-11-08 Member: 223739Members
    The fix only worked for me for about 8-10 hours before it all started up again, though It only crashes and stutters around the grand reef when switching a biome. Sucks that my base is in the grand reef so now I can't get to it anymore without crashing.
  • HiSaZuLHiSaZuL N.Y. Join Date: 2016-11-11 Member: 223803Members
    edited November 2016
    14 hours in and it happened to me too. So sudden and so severe all at once. Loading that save, made inside a seamoth, the little bugger won't even load in and I crash about a minute in. Something seriously chews saves apart and it's not crazy building either. My only building is my "base" a platform with 4 x connectors lol.

Since I don't see people posting their saves which might be useful depending on whether devs know the cause or not. I'm going to toss mine in. It's compressed with into 7z otherwise it's way too big.
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B89agAKay-BiM2xsTmx2M0JiZXc

Hopefully I did the google drive link properly.
    edited November 2016
    I downloaded it just to verify, and everything looks fine. It's only 775 MB uncompressed, too, so... hopefully it's got clues as to what's causing this issue. *fingers crossed*
    Wait, everything is fine? I couldn't stay in that save yesterday for more then a minute before it crashed. If it is fine for you then maybe it has nothing to do with save and instead issue with memory. Things being loaded in, borking up and currently not being anywhere near fully cleared on exit. It hangs up pretty much always on current build when I exit, regardless of method.

I'm confused now. But since I reset that save I could play again... even finally got me a cyclopse. It's a lot bigger then I though it is... spent a good hour trying to ram my way through safe shallows just for the "experience".
    No, no, I meant everything is in it correctly and it downloads fine. (You seemed unsure of if the file was correctly uploaded or something, so I checked it out.)
    edited November 2016
    OK, so I actually loaded up your save and it plays... fine?!? Took your Seamoth down to 300m, then back up, then over to your Lifepod / base. :confused:

EDIT: They did just have a little update a little while ago, maybe that's why? You're on experimental, right? Actually... let's see. According to your gameinfo.json, you're on 40062, which I think was the last stable build so far. Maybe try experimental? You can revert if you don't like it. Just don't save your game - you won't be able to use it with older builds. Workaround: keep a backup .7z of your game slot000x for build 40062. Then you can restore and go back to stable (but you would lose your progress since the last stable save).
    edited November 2016
    This is good. Following on your test of my save file I did some additional "measuring".

Today I loaded the save that I posted fine. Seamoth was there too. Conclusion is that there is a possibility of memory leakage, bloating or flat out loaded data gets corrupted. No idea I'm not knowledgeable enough to figure something of that caliber. Uploaded save is 780mb large. While my new one, after making cyclopse and messing around for few hours yesterday or I guess today just really early, was a bit over 200mb and now after finally getting around visiting floater island, I got signal for it a long time ago and energy source signal which I checked first... logical progression be damned, save is 330mb.

Another large difference, on current save with reloaded cell state I'm using 2.5gigs of VRAM. I didn't pay attention to what it was just after clearing the cell state, while uploaded save is at 3gigs of VRAM. I got a 6 year old rig so 3gigs of DDR5 VRAM is all my EVGA GTX 580 can push, regular ram isn't a problem I got 24 gigs so unless there is a really bad memory leak that part should hold just fine.

I gotta pay closer attention to resource usage from now on. Was kind of hoping the breaking point would be easier to identify so we could get a fix for it sooner rather then later. Well hopefully more people will chip in and it will make sense soon.

Edit:
    Another tidbit that somewhat supports my guess on memory not being cleaned properly or at all. After checking old save and going back to new one, instead of 2.5gigs of VRAM I was at 3gigs... Since 40062 I haven't had a single clean exit from the game, it always hangs up.