Yet another case for coordinates in subs

2»

Comments

• Alrekr_IronhandAlrekr_Ironhand New Hampshire, US Join Date: 2016-03-22 Member: 214677Members
    Thosar wrote: »
    Tarkannen wrote: »
    it makes no sense to have a better method of navigation to hurt replayability.

Fixed.

Knowing exactly where things are hurts replayability, and prevents exploring
    a second time and rediscovering wonderful places.

This would be a valid argument if the game world were not essentially exactly the same every time. Trying to justify not being able to repeatably find the same spot again within a game session by the argument that this makes it a "new discovery" in the next game, when the next game is set in the exact same world map, is sophistry. It's like walking around your living room with your eyes closed, and pretending that by closing them, you've rearranged the furniture.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    I hope they release additional content as either DLC or sequels, or alternate storylines, or something.

I mean, the dev cost is paid for. All they'd have to do is pay to create more content for their Subnautica engine, and rake in the profits. I'd bite! (And I know a lot of others here would as well, I'm pretty sure!)
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    I hope they release additional content as either DLC or sequels, or alternate storylines, or something.

I mean, the dev cost is paid for. All they'd have to do is pay to create more content for their Subnautica engine, and rake in the profits. I'd bite! (And I know a lot of others here would as well, I'm pretty sure!)

I would personally like to see (and would pay extra money for) the ability to customize your game in-depth, and by that I mean have more options than Creative or Freedom mode offers. Like right now there are console codes that let you change various aspects of the game, such as:

DAMAGE (changes the amount of damage received)
    DAYNIGHTSPEED (alters how fast or slow time runs)
    NITROGEN (lets you stay underwater longer but adds decompression sickness)

These features are built into the game but currently don't have any normal gameplay aspect. So I say, let us take Creative mode a step farther and add a Custom game mode! With a Custom game, you start a new file but before you actually start playing you can customize basically any aspect of the game. If you want longer days and nights with reduced damage received but have higher enemy spawns, you can pick it. If you want batteries and powercells to have tripled duration but you can't ever build or spawn in charging stations, you can pick it. If you want to be able to swim deeper and stay underwater longer, but increase your food and water consumption, you can pick it!

Basically any variable or standard element in the game could be customized in this manner, such as the stuff mentioned above or changing aspects of the game (alter the size of creatures, frequency of fragment appearances, allow the Seamoth the ability to fly). I think of it like a manner of a "New Game+" mode, something that adds to the replay factor but you can only do after you've beaten the Survival story mode once.