DEVS: We need a little utility for surviving updates

harrzackharrzack United States Join Date: 2016-09-11 Member: 222250Members
I've seen at least one you tube vid showing how to edit files so that a game done in one update will still work in a new update.

It would be REALLY nice if the Dev's could give us a little script or util the would do the 'heavy lifting' of any file deletion or renaming so that our current game of xxx hour doesn't have to be lost. Dunno if this would spoil the 'alfa-testing-ness' of the early access - but sure would be a nice thing! B)

Comments

• 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Not sure, but I find it kind of random, the next patch may fix it. Submit a bug report just in case it's not intentional. eg, I had an old (2 weeks) save, that loads just fine, but my most recent save from last night won't load with the latest patch.

I've also had a save not load with a patch in the evening, and with the patch the next morning, it loaded successfully. So, report it, and cross your fingers that it was a whoopsie and your save will work in the next patch. :)
  • ReefseekerReefseeker Finland Join Date: 2015-05-21 Member: 204740Members
    I've solved this issue long ago by starting a new HC game after every major update.

It has its downsides, but it's fun. You can really see how the new things merge into the game as a whole.
  • EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    Same with starting new saves.

The game is still in EA, and the best testing is done by making new saves and deleting the old, instead of trying to cram old data in. You can always use the console to zap yourself up to the point you like, the commands are very easy to use compared to some other games.
  • harrzackharrzack United States Join Date: 2016-09-11 Member: 222250Members
    @EvilSmoo - that is exactly what I did going from August to September. With the console cmds it isn't so bad. I did see a You zTube vid where he just deleted certain files, and his old game was cool with the new update. ''Tis always better to have a support script than mucking around on your own.