Curious about users' forum avatars

TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
This may seem like an unusual thing to talk about, but figured I would ask anyways. On seeing people's threads and posts here, I've noticed some people's various avatars. The default sets up a generic 'smiley face' type icon but people can upload a picture to use instead. What I want to ask is: Where does your avatar come from and why did you pick it? If you don't have one, what would you choose?

Mine comes from the web comic Nerf Now!!. It started out as a Team Fortress 2 comic, but over time it has changed its focus. Now it centers around the lives of female variants of the TF2 crew and offers commentary on various games and gaming culture. The character I identify with most is Morgan (Demowoman), but my favorite charcter is of course my avatar Jane (Soldier-tan). The comic is fun and refreshing, and always makes me smile. Check it out sometime, I highly recommend it!

Comments

• Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
    I have absolutely no idea, it's just a pic that I found coincidentally. Can't even remember what I was searching for when I found it, it was quite some time ago. But I found what it depicts to be really cool, and I now use it in one of my youtube accounts and other accounts. But othrwise, I donat know where it's from.

Such an interesting story, right (?)
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited October 2016
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    Mine is just a picture of The Great Blue Hole where I shopped an eye in and slapped some artsy filter over.
  • subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members
    Mine is a picture of an Anomalocaris, a predatory swimming arthropod(?*) that lived ~500 mya during the Cambrian Explosion. I've always been interested in paleontology, especially the cambrian, and Subnautica is so imaginative and creative in its creature design that sometimes it almost seems like I'm swimming in those prehistoric shallow seas...

*many animals from the cambrian period seemingly defy classification- one, Opabinia, even got its own phylum for a short time.
  • LonnehartLonnehart Guam Join Date: 2016-06-20 Member: 218816Members
    My pic is one of the craziest Autobots to come from the Transformers. If you see him in the sky, get out of his way. He's not a sane battle chopper...
  • BENSKIBENSKI Join Date: 2016-08-07 Member: 221063Members
    I just love the peeper as a creature because they have so much character!

I decided one day to make this little animation of a grumpy/tired peeper in contrast to the chirpy, energetic ones you see in the game ... which describes me well in real life tbh ...

(っ◔◡◔)っ ♥ grumpy_peeper_ain't_got_no_time_for_your_s**t.gif ♥
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited October 2016
    I chose mine because upon playing it for the first time, this game immediately reminded me of one of my favorite TV shows from the 60's...
    "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea"

B)
  • phantomfinchphantomfinch West Philadelphia , born and raised on the playground is where I spent most of my days. Join Date: 2016-09-06 Member: 222128Members
    Typed in Bork and picked the most "icon looking" pic
  • BDelacroixBDelacroix Florida Join Date: 2016-04-08 Member: 215511Members
    Mine is the diving helmet I once wore when I was younger and did hard hat diving.
  • ExlodianExlodian Queensland Join Date: 2016-10-09 Member: 222993Members
    DURGON JUDGING. (My art lel)
  • DracobombaDracobomba Join Date: 2016-04-08 Member: 215502Members
    SNAFU, which, as is obvious, is an anime. Pretty hilarious MC.
  • Enderguy059Enderguy059 Australia Join Date: 2015-10-15 Member: 208486Members
    This particular unit has utilized the image of a Geth Prime from Mass Effect 3, of which the game, race and enemy type I'm a massive fan of.
  • FluffersFluffers United States Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204749Members
    You don't want to know
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Hard Light Productions (forum) <-- FreeSpace 2 lives on (and has cool mods, some not even in the FreeSpace universe -- like The Babylon Project, BattleStar Galactica-based Diaspora, Wing Commander Saga, Star Wars Fate of the Galaxy (in progress), and many more! :)

My avatar is the HLP emblem, as a nod to the community that I first joined (first forum account).
  • ExlodianExlodian Queensland Join Date: 2016-10-09 Member: 222993Members
    Fluffers wrote: »
    You don't want to know

Must....resist!....
  • KisuKisu Germany Join Date: 2016-08-08 Member: 221099Members
    Kawaii reaper~

Simply because I am horrified of reapers and I thought making them cute would make it better..
  • bwc153bwc153 Shawnee, KS, US Join Date: 2016-02-29 Member: 213659Members
  • PikariPikari Join Date: 2016-09-30 Member: 222711Members
    Mine is a photo I took of Pearl, an Octopus that can be seen at the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago. Octopuses are my favorite animal, and I hope to see one in the ocean itself.
  • CaptagearCaptagear Join Date: 2016-08-28 Member: 221804Members
    I love the peeper just like @BENSKI also I jumped in MS paint and drew this avatar up. :)
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    Mine is from when I was smoking too much weed and producing music as Infidel.
  • ShuryCZShuryCZ Czech Republic Join Date: 2015-07-07 Member: 206047Members
    Mine is... yep you know what it is :D
  • ThethunderviperThethunderviper France Join Date: 2016-06-15 Member: 218613Members
    Mine is from one of my favorite Electro producer : Marshmello
    I chosed this picture cause the blood on his suit make him a bit psycho and i found it funny , plus the background was very clean , perfect for a pp . :)
  • xJugerxxJugerx Join Date: 2016-09-22 Member: 222493Members
    Mine is from Darkrai from pokémon, Darkrai is and will always be my favorite pokemon!
  • fightin_firstfightin_first Join Date: 2016-10-26 Member: 223372Members
    mine is the AI Virgil from Halo 3: ODST, he had a bunch of faces like this one that he uses to interact with people and this one was my favorite (also i'm a massive Halo nerd)
  • harrzackharrzack United States Join Date: 2016-09-11 Member: 222250Members
    My gaming persona is Harrzack which was a character in an early issue ('76?) of Heavy Metal magzine. He flew around on a pterodactyl and did very cool stuff. To make the avatar, I scanned the lead page of one of the episodes where he outsmarting that huge gorilla behind him. His pterodactyl was coming around, and Harrzack jumped off a ledge. The gorilla followed - but Harrzack's ride was just under him , he landed in the saddle and flew away - and the gorilla fell into a sea of snakes!

Awesome! - I think you can still find info on the artist (Mobieus) and the magazine.
  • Hammy2211Hammy2211 Join Date: 2016-10-18 Member: 223218Members
    edited October 2016
    Mine is Amber from Rune Factory 4. She was my bachelorette of choice during my ongoing playthrough, and she also happens to be a butterfly girl. Those red things in her hair are antennae, and she has wings. No, I do not have a bug fetish. She's just flipping adorable. :P

God, Rune Factory 4 a great game. I mean, you can suplex dragons. I'm not even exaggerating.

Please, Marvelous, you teased a Rune Factory 5. Please give it to us soon. :P
  • ImmortalHunterImmortalHunter Surrey BC Canada Earth Join Date: 2016-10-04 Member: 222853Members
    Mine is my XB (Xbox) avatar pic (duh).
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited October 2016
    Ooooooooookidoki el sidenote

So it seems *glares at Vanilla forum settings* If you want an animated gif (including the converted resized versions on this here forum). Like I used to have WaAaAaAay back, at a glorious 200x200px, 128ndex, 20Kb filesize :D

You now need to crunch those numbers into a mere 4Kb... @Comprox, I has sad... This used to be 20Kb T_T

Just look what you made me have to do. LOOK AT IT, that bloody lowdef mess good ol' blinky has been reduced to right now... *shakes fist*
  • Alrekr_IronhandAlrekr_Ironhand New Hampshire, US Join Date: 2016-03-22 Member: 214677Members
    Up until now I've been using my mon. It's a Japanese style heraldic crest. Mine is made up of four torii gates, and intended to signify inner peace and harmony. That seemed somehow ... fitting for Subnautica.
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    The only other game beside Subnautica that i've dumped over 500 hours in just had to be my avatar pic :smile:
    All hails to Skyrim :wink: