This is the worst community I've seen in a long time.

Comments

• YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2016
    2cough wrote: »
    This game should come with tissues. Seriously.

You realize you guys are fkn adults? Grow the fuck up. What is with this new attitude that players have where they think they're entitled to some form of ball stroking from every game they play?

It's the fucking internet, it's a video game, a hard one at that. Ever reduced wine? Or anything while cooking? The "fluff" evaporates, and you're left w/ a potent, strong flavor. That's where ns2 is at. It's been out for 4 years, its hard, and the ppl who are still around are NOT making sure your feelings dont get hurt a priority. I'm not checking every single player's playtime when I join a server to make sure I handicap myself enough to make it "fun" for them. Not anybody's job, except for UWE, who already blew all their chances years ago.

And for the record, you dont even know what toxic is. Getting ejected, getting kicked are NOT toxic actions. EVEN BUBBA can be tolerated with enjoyment. Another "I got kicked, community is toxic q_q" thread. You're a baby. I don't speak for UWE, but speaking for myself, cry my a river. Wow.

Slots are a valuable thing anymore, given the fact that there are usually only 2 - 4 servers to choose from, all full. If you're afk, be prepared to be kicked so that someone who isnt dicking around can join and try to balance out teams. That's just where player's mentalities are at. Commanders, especially, are the bottleneck of enjoyment for the entire team.

180 hrs? Sorry you're still a rookie, even if the game wouldnt have labeled you that anymore.
    MoFo1 wrote: »
    I was finally pushed to give up NS2 after 3000+ hours due to how toxic this community has become... (Specifically the NA community as I don't play on EU servers due to ping)

How ironic to see posts like this also popping up... And the high skill elitist jerks are saying the problem lies with me. Clearly the problem is them.

They drove away a player who seeds servers and commands.. And they're happy about it.

K, not a SINGLE person held a gun to your head and said "STOP PLAYING NS2." That just didn't happen. You removed yourself from the fight. Alas, you're still here, also reeeeallly gunning for some attention.

All of you wallowing little keyboard warriors need to ask yourself one thing. Do you enjoy playing ns2 because you enjoy playing ns2? Or are you playing ns2 to feel bright and happy about yourself and make lots of little internet friends? Because blaming other people for yourself not enjoying a game is just about the stupidest excuse you could come up with.

You wanted some attention, you got it. I'm sorry for you, you need a different tint of glasses to look at the world through. The earth is large. There is LOTS more to it than VG. If you're gettin so affected by any VG, time for you to take a break and re-humanize yourself.

Lol love this man, it's not just ns2 it's majority of all games over the last decade, fully grown "men" seem to have developed feelings whilst playing anonymously on a computer game.

I've yet to meet any really toxic players in this game and I've been around for a very long time!

Long story short, people have to man up and take it on the chin, that's what life is about, are you gonna run to mommy (forums) every time an anonymous person the other side of the Atlantic Ocean gives you a hard time? Seriously get the snip out of here :smiley:
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I once shot a guy and he rage quit... That is all the rage I... Well naaah... But it was funny...
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I was finally pushed to give up NS2 after 3000+ hours due to how toxic this community has become...
    How ironic
    high skill elitist jerks are saying the problem lies with me. Clearly the problem is them.

(Also why are you still on the forums, then?)

Because the moderators haven't deleted or banned my account yet..

I still love NS2 but too many high skill players are too hostile for me to be able to enjoy it..

And it's not all directed at me either.. There have been countless times just in the past 6-8 months where I've had to tell some elitist to shut up when they're trash talking and/or trying to votekick a rookie who is just trying to learn the game.

Mofo no offence dude but trouble seems to follow you like a bad smell, never personally have grief with you but all fingers point like you are the instigator in a lot of these issues.

It's like NS2 is the abusive husband that's been sleeping with your best friend behind your back for years, you're holding back all this pain, he even struck you several times to the point where you get him arrested for DUI, little did he know that you've been cuckolding him with 6'2 220lbs well hung Jerry from down the road all this time!
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Well this is taking an interesting turn down the hallway of WTF

giphy.gif
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    It is not always about having a think skin. Telling a person to grow up and develop a thick skin puts the burden on them. It is not just them though. I see plenty of people be genuine as*holes in NS2. Yes it is the internet, a hard game, but that it does not make it OK.

Give some people a little respect. Rookies are people too. I see so many player escalate far to quickly. They go from "Do you know how to command?" to "Go try a tutorial your f*cking rookie." I do not find that kind of behavior acceptable.

It is a two way street and the burden is not only on the rookies. I would even argue that the burden should be greater on the veteran but we know that isn't going to change.
    Nordic wrote: »
    It is not always about having a think skin. Telling a person to grow up and develop a thick skin puts the burden on them. It is not just them though. I see plenty of people be genuine as*holes in NS2. Yes it is the internet, a hard game, but that it does not make it OK.

Give some people a little respect. Rookies are people too. I see so many player escalate far to quickly. They go from "Do you know how to command?" to "Go try a tutorial your f*cking rookie." I do not find that kind of behavior acceptable.

It is a two way street and the burden is not only on the rookies. I would even argue that the burden should be greater on the veteran but we know that isn't going to change.

Of course not, the problem starts when people think they are entitled to respect, you have to give respect first in order to receive it, if you don't receive respect then you are no longer oblidged to talk to that person and that's the end of it, you don't start a 500 word rant about it, that's the way of life man.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    The problem I see is that it has nothing to do with respect. I have seen players just rant and put down rookies who never say a word back. They did nothing wrong. I even saw a guy do a full on bubba level rant to a russian player. The guy didn't even speak English, so he luckily didn't even know he was being talked to.

Don't put the burden on the rookies when more often than not the veterans are the problem.
  • ArchieArchie Antarctica Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58028Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited October 2016
    Rise wrote: »
    Your invented scenerio is completely irrelevant to anything that was posted. This kind of treatment was routine outside of the rookie servers. I may not have gotten kicked from the rookie servers, but the more experienced "rookies" were generally all verbally toxic.

Sounds like you'll never escape that mindset of 'everyone who doesn't agree with how i play or tells me how to play' = toxicity. Hell you'd probably not get anywhere because all the vets will be gone if you got what you wanted and you'll have those bully experienced rookies who will take over in place, oh man just lost my appetite.

My scenario is completely relevant simply because you're assuming you are ready for a public commanding game, most major servers won't let you command simply for being too slow, you'll get ejected fast, even for NS1/NS2 vets you will get ejected(makes no difference of your status other then making it easier to identify), however if you do think you are capable, just say that you are pretty experienced. I'll let rookies know that we're not upgrading Exos, we're not turret farming and they cannot go commander, if that ruins there mood so be it. I'll only interject what i deem to be valuable information for someone like you, why are you getting hostile towards me? It's frustrating to think that some people have left this community simply because the game was dumbed down so much to satisfy no one.

On another note:
    You can't kill off your core audience to get temporary numbers, i remember reading something by Flayra/Charlie that says the only thing that brings in new players are Flash sales or Promotional sales and i tend to agree with that, that's the only thing that will pull people back at this rate, that or the game goes free to play and then you'll see your apparent toxicity sore to new levels of extremities, though i suspect there's something going on in the boiler.
  • AeglosAeglos Join Date: 2010-04-06 Member: 71189Members
    edited October 2016
    Keats wrote: »

PS: I really doubt a server would completely kick a rookie just for commanding badly. So I bet there is some unpleasantry on your part that you're not sharing.

I'm familiar with a couple of scum who only play aliens and will do just that (accuse weakest link in aliens of afk) to join the game. Can't name and shame here though.

• RiseRise Join Date: 2012-04-17 Member: 150595Members
    edited October 2016

The fact that you have people in this thread justifying this kind of behavior, and seeing no problem kicking rookies out of servers for no real reason, is a good example of why things have gotten so bad in this community.

It's not even the toxic behavior that makes me want to stop playing - I can just ignore them.
    It's the fact that their selfish toxic behavior is making it questionable whether or not I can even play the game outside of a rookie server, because the probability that someone will make a reason to try to kick me is high.
    Nobody wants to play a game where they aren't even sure if they'll be able to stay in the server long enough to finish out a match. I don't need to deal with crap like that, I've got other things I could be doing if the NS community has decided they want to make the game unplayable for anyone with a rookie tag.
  • EzRemakeEzRemake Join Date: 2012-11-20 Member: 172532Members
    Over-competitive "esports" behavior on a dead game = toxic community.

"Just find a better community server" type advice is hilarious - there's only 2 servers to choose from on any given night.
    Nobody wants to play a game where they aren't even sure if they'll be able to stay in the server long enough to finish out a match.
    I agree there is a problem but I say that the problem is toxicity. What you describe is so far from the norm. I refer you to keats post.
    Keats wrote: »
    PS: I really doubt a server would completely kick a rookie just for commanding badly. So I bet there is some unpleasantry on your part that you're not sharing.

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited October 2016
    EzRemake wrote: »
    "Just find a better community server" type advice is hilarious - there's only 2 servers to choose from on any given night.

Uncheck the "empty" box.
    Find your favorite server with an admin.
    Seed it/ invite your friends
    Enjoy playing on the 3rd available server in the browser now.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    edited October 2016
    I am litterally saying this about myself too. I dont play pub to try hard. When I play pub, I dont want to be annoyed, i dont want to rage, i dont want to be a detriment to the game. So rather the belittle everyone about how little they know about the game, which is VERY easy to do, I simply ignore them instead. It is simply not worth my time.

Or you know you could try to teach people so they suck less. But I understand, thats difficult and youre there to relax, not to do difficult things.
    If you stop playing because of words or what people say then you need to grow a pair!

You may not have played in a while but there is now a feature to mute (both chat and voice) of other players. So if someone annoys you, simply mute them.

If people don't like the way you command, so what? And so what if they eject you? Don't take it personal. If you completely stop playing a game because of words others say or they eject you as commander, then you are defintily taking it personal. - life must be stressful for someone like this.

People need to learn to chill and not take things so personal, especially from strangers online. I don't understand why people get personally upset, angry, frustrated or whatever, especially when they can mute or block another person

A big part of the fun in this game is cooperation with others, working as a team to accomplish objectives. Its not just about displays of individual skill. Imagine trying to play football, but your team never passes you the ball.
    Archie wrote: »
    The reason why people like you get upset is because the people left playing the game are generally the core fans of the game who have been here since the beginning which will lead it into the next stage of evolution, you can stick around or you get to leave,

Surely you mean devolution? This game is pretty dull compared to NS1.

I guess people nowdays think that being a manly tough guy excuses you from any kind of manners.
  • SgtThompsonSgtThompson Join Date: 2005-01-18 Member: 36340Members
    Honestly, the problem I've found with the game is an extremely steep acceptance curve for new commanders. You can be the best RTS player of all time, but if it's your first try you had better make it abundantly clear you have no idea what you're doing ahead of time and get most of the team to agree to it before you hop in the chair. Otherwise you're going to have a very bad experience. It's been that way since day one.

Perhaps I'm being too general, but that's the impression I've always gotten (NA servers). I've been playing since the early days of NS1, but I ALWAYS give the impression I'm just having a stab at it even if I'm fairly confident I can deliver a win.

It's less of a development issue and more of a culture problem, though. N00b has never been an endearing term in the gaming community. What we can do as players is remember the pains we went through to be holyballzamazing and give new players a break when they're figuring things out.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Honestly, the problem I've found with the game is an extremely steep acceptance curve for new commanders. You can be the best RTS player of all time, but if it's your first try you had better make it abundantly clear you have no idea what you're doing ahead of time and get most of the team to agree to it before you hop in the chair. Otherwise you're going to have a very bad experience. It's been that way since day one.

Perhaps I'm being too general, but that's the impression I've always gotten (NA servers). I've been playing since the early days of NS1, but I ALWAYS give the impression I'm just having a stab at it even if I'm fairly confident I can deliver a win.

It's less of a development issue and more of a culture problem, though. N00b has never been an endearing term in the gaming community. What we can do as players is remember the pains we went through to be holyballzamazing and give new players a break when they're figuring things out.

Yup, that's definitely true. The thing is that 99% of games that involve a newb commander that does not announce he's a noob but going to try anyway (<- which implies he's able to commnicate with his team, something lots of these guys aren't) are pretty shitty. Since NS2 games are hard to start, there's always the danger of everyone just leaving, and the commander is the single most important player on the team, people are understandably touchy on the subject of inexperienced comms.
    The fact that you have people in this thread justifying this kind of behavior, and seeing no problem kicking rookies out of servers for no real reason, is a good example of why things have gotten so bad in this community.

It's not even the toxic behavior that makes me want to stop playing - I can just ignore them.
    It's the fact that their selfish toxic behavior is making it questionable whether or not I can even play the game outside of a rookie server, because the probability that someone will make a reason to try to kick me is high.

You should try LoL, COD, or CS:GO for a weekend, just for perspective...
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    A big part of the fun in this game is cooperation with others, working as a team to accomplish objectives. Its not just about displays of individual skill. Imagine trying to play football, but your team never passes you the ball.

I fully agree with you on that statement but the problem is that on public games this teamplay and cooperation is usually on a very shallow level. If you actually play with the same people for multiple months/years then NS2 is by far the best game I can imagine.

• MaxAmusMaxAmus UK Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24779Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Oh man, another one of these, after nearly 15 years of these topics, the only thing that has changed is the person opening it.

New to commanding? - Let you team know, if no other person is wanting to do it, and you want to try, let your team know that you are new! Am sure they would not have ejected you.
    If you just jumped in and done nothing for 20-30 seconds, i would have ejected you also.

As pointed out, the start of the round is the most important part, as it will define where aliens and marine expand. and where they will fight.

This community is not toxic, yea it can get hot at times, but again, Welcome to the internet 2016. Cant take the heat. get out of the fire.

Learning this game is hard, it does not help that there is a low player count, but coming here to complain about playing badly? i mean come on. For me, it seems if there was more communication - voice or text. people will understand.

With that all said, you will always get the assholes that do not care, and would ruin there own mothers Funeral just to be the center of attention.

• Legend_BossLegend_Boss UK Join Date: 2014-02-27 Member: 194394Members
    I am litterally saying this about myself too. I dont play pub to try hard. When I play pub, I dont want to be annoyed, i dont want to rage, i dont want to be a detriment to the game. So rather the belittle everyone about how little they know about the game, which is VERY easy to do, I simply ignore them instead. It is simply not worth my time.

Or you know you could try to teach people so they suck less. But I understand, thats difficult and youre there to relax, not to do difficult things.
    If you stop playing because of words or what people say then you need to grow a pair!

You may not have played in a while but there is now a feature to mute (both chat and voice) of other players. So if someone annoys you, simply mute them.

If people don't like the way you command, so what? And so what if they eject you? Don't take it personal. If you completely stop playing a game because of words others say or they eject you as commander, then you are defintily taking it personal. - life must be stressful for someone like this.

People need to learn to chill and not take things so personal, especially from strangers online. I don't understand why people get personally upset, angry, frustrated or whatever, especially when they can mute or block another person

Archie wrote: »
    The reason why people like you get upset is because the people left playing the game are generally the core fans of the game who have been here since the beginning which will lead it into the next stage of evolution, you can stick around or you get to leave,

Surely you mean devolution? This game is pretty dull compared to NS1.

I guess people nowdays think that being a manly tough guy excuses you from any kind of manners.

I don't think I said the first quote you have of mine..? Cba to check through, especially as I'm typing/reading this on my phone.

I do give advice to any commander (rookie or experienxed) if I think there is something they can or should be doing, even if they don't want it.

Sure working as a team is fun when ppl act as a team, but when I suggest to mute others, this doesn'tdoesn't mean the whole team. If that's your interpretation, that would indicate to me you may be the problem, if your application to what I said means muting everyone.
  • .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    *sigh* people are arseholes, get over it... being butthurt won't help you =/
    The problem is and always will be - communication.

Rookie 1 - jumps into command chair, it's apparent he has no idea what he is doing BUT he is using voice chat and text chat to communicate and respond to other players, his team ultimately loses the game but is the majority of the team hostile towards him? No. Why? Because he communicated towards the team and to be honest, most people can accept that.

Rookie 2 - jumps into the chair and does the opposite, doesn't communicate either by text or chat, complete silence, the game starts and there is no movement from the comm or worse the wrong type of structures get dropped. He meets barrage of abuse and gets ejected, can you guess where he went wrong and where he goes next?

Veteran 1 - this guy talks and types to his team, he is demanding but if he was asked a question he answers accordingly, if he senses a fellow player is a rookie and will try and tell him / advise him what to do, this is the veteran you want to help Rookie 1.

Veteran 2 - the last guy you want, this one isn't particularly helpful towards rookies, can be quite abusive, demands meds or attention and when he dies, its everybody elses fault but his own, this type of player is usually the type to eject rookies or even casuals the moment they "deviate" from the regular "strat".

The worse combination you want is Rookie 2 and Veteran 2, which leads to these forum posts over and over again, don't get me wrong there can all sorts of combinations e.g Veteran 1 & 2 mixed but the most damaging to the community is definitely Rookie 2 and Veteran 2.

The rule to take away here is C-O-M-M-U-N-I-C-A-T-I-O-N.

I would quite happily help a rookie who responds and communicates with me, no matter how bad he is or if we lose the game, atleast I know he tried, I would feel more frustrated if the guy I was trying to help acted completely oblivious or was just ignorant, which eventually leads to becoming Veteran 2.
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    I don't know mad. I have had RWP with 10's hours and some with 1000's of hours yelling at me for doing things not how they would do it. Little do they know, I also have 1000's of hours. I have also recycled an IP in a pub to get upgrades faster. That strat doesn't always make sense, but it does sometimes. I would not just completely dismiss it. You got to know when and when not to us a strat like that.

The problem with RWP's is not there sometimes good often not advice, but how they give it.
    When I give advice in pubs I often say it as "This is what you could do." Even then it is usually a wasted effort to try and give advice in pubs. Most players don't want advice.
    When a RWP gives advice it is some variation of "You suck noob, get good, why can't you hold a f*cking rt." These are the people the OP is complaining about. When you call them out for being toxic the RWP will usually respond with, "How else are they going to get better?" They simply do not understand what they are doing is wrong.

the reason why pub and pro probably need different strats is the amount of people.

if you acknowledge that wooza's strats are going to be different than 12 man game strats... then it's just a matter of degrees. i'm convinced that at a certain # of marines, phase first is going to outcompete upgrades first as the optimal strategy... simply because reinforcing from phase is more cost efficient than med packing.

goddamn, it takes a gaggle of shitty field players to sink a team, but it only takes one shitty commander.

Do Not jump in the chair until you've fielded enough to know what most people are doing in there.
    then keep doing that until people stop bitching at you to do it better.
    then you can start exploring your options.

nothing sinks a team faster than a shitty commander.

ooh, look he dropped a crag and shade before cysting to our naturals... yay, looks like we might be able to enjoy next game.

*RESTART VOTE*

fuck me, he jumped in again,

*vote eject*
    edited October 2016
    @amoral maybe I am biased that I almost exclusively play 8v8, so comp strats usually work just fine there. I do agree, a 20v20 has very different needs. I also said you need to know when and when not to use a strat like that. That includes keeping player count in mind.
  • maD maXmaD maX Join Date: 2010-01-28 Member: 70347Members
    Absurdon wrote: »

so you tell me u heard the gorge and ignored it? WTF dude its ur fault. u could have ez scouted that. atleast smthn like: "heard a gorge in logi. u might wanna scan that"

it was a pretty one sided game if it had been more challenging I may have cared about the outcome as it was, the aliens needed the moral boost of a win (keeps the server full
    Therius wrote: »
    amoral wrote: »
    i'm convinced that at a certain # of marines, phase first is going to outcompete upgrades first as the optimal strategy... simply because reinforcing from phase is more cost efficient than med packing.

This is exactly the opposite.

Upgrade costs are fixed, but with more marines you get more bang for your buck. If you have 10 marines on the field, a 20res investment will give each of them +40 effective HP that they can supply themselves with (welders). Without upgrades, you need to med your marines more, and medpack costs go up with the number of marines. Furthermore, the more marines you have, the more map control you have by default by the simple virtue of always having marines respawning and reinforcing. Phase gates aren't nearly as vital as with smaller player numbers when you will have a marine close to every location regardless.

we're talking obs first or arms first. in comp you can maintain arms first to rush for those upgrades while medding and ammo-ing to maintain map presence. with increasing numbers you can't well enough and your res-income suffers. etc.

All upgrades: armor, weapon, cara, silence... they all scale with numbers to a certain degree, except for med packs and ammo packs. essentially commander "active" abilities.

and this game was balanced around commanders being able to land those medpacks for most of the engagements.

on the other hand, marines do better in larger concentrations, so maybe that mitigates some of it.